RE: [John Muir Trail] Muir Tr Ranch food drops

  • Steve Schauer
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 11 3:06 PM
      We are going in on Aug 27-Sept 3. I hadn't thought
      about resupplying at MTR until you mentioned it, was
      just going to suffer, but I might reconsider.
      Claire

    • Bob Bankhead
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 11 5:03 PM
        That's good news for the southbounders looking to resupply at MTR; not so good for the northbounders who then have two options after resupplying at MTR: (1) to climb that hill (800 feet elev gain in 1 mile = 15.2% grade) or (2) backtrack 1.5 miles and 280 feet of gain to the southern JMT/Florence Lake trail junction then go north another 1.7 miles and 520 feet of gain to the northern JMT trail junction for a total distance of 3.2 miles and 900 feet of gain (5.3% grade).

        What a choice; 3 miles at 5% or 1 mile at 15%. Oh well, northbounders get to go DOWN the Golden Staircase from Mather Pass while southbounders....................

        The trail Gods punish all hikers more or less equally.

        PCT = Perpetually Climbing Trail

      • Kevin Aston
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 11 7:00 PM
          I did the stretch from Evolution Creek to North Lake last year. (See
          my pictures @ http://www.kevinaston.com/toNorthlake.html ) I had
          been hurt and we decided that was the fastest way out. We had been to
          Muir Ranch a couple of days before that. From the Piute Tr junction
          to North Lake is about a 1 1/2 day hike. To go from the juntion to
          Muir Ranch and back, plus take the time to get your stuff, you would
          add a day onto your hike. I also really didn't care for the part you
          would have to do 2 times. I see no reason to add another day on to go
          to Muir unless you just wanted to see the Muir Ranch. It wasn't a
          place I would go a day out of my way to see, plus it would cost you
          $47 or more to get your stuff shipped in. To me it is a nobrainer to
          just hike out North Lake without the resupply. I am going in North
          Lake this year and am definitly not considering Muir Ranch for
          anything.
          Good luck.
          Kevin Aston

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian"
          <barbara@...> wrote:

          > Hi there - Has anyone got any any advice, info or hints re. food
          > drops/sending packages on to MTR? I know they're expensive, but
          other than
          > that? I'm doing the South Lake to North Lake hike, and plan on
          being out
          > about 9 days, really don't want to carry all that food, and thought
          this
          > might be an option. Thanks so much - Barbara

        • Barbara Karagosian
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 11 8:05 PM
            Good input - sounds like it isn't worth it - I guess it's back to
            scrutinizing my pack weight and meal options....Barbara

            _____

            <http://www.kevinaston.com/toNorthlake.html> on.com/toNorthlake.html ) I had

            --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 11 11:41 PM
              Good info on the time from Piute Creek to North lake.

            • Patt gray
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 12 7:40 AM
                Well the other reason for going down to towards MTR : Blayney Hot Springs and Warm Lake........but HYOH....Patt

                Steve Schauer <clairehiker@...> wrote: Good info on the time from Piute Creek to North lake.

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                patt gray