RE: [John Muir Trail] Muir Tr Ranch food drops

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
      Thanks Claire. We're going Aug 8-16. What are you doing for food? Carrying
      it all in on ego? Barbara

      _____

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
        We are going in on Aug 27-Sept 3. I hadn't thought
        about resupplying at MTR until you mentioned it, was
        just going to suffer, but I might reconsider.
        Claire

      • Bob Bankhead
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
          That's good news for the southbounders looking to resupply at MTR; not so good for the northbounders who then have two options after resupplying at MTR: (1) to climb that hill (800 feet elev gain in 1 mile = 15.2% grade) or (2) backtrack 1.5 miles and 280 feet of gain to the southern JMT/Florence Lake trail junction then go north another 1.7 miles and 520 feet of gain to the northern JMT trail junction for a total distance of 3.2 miles and 900 feet of gain (5.3% grade).

          What a choice; 3 miles at 5% or 1 mile at 15%. Oh well, northbounders get to go DOWN the Golden Staircase from Mather Pass while southbounders....................

          The trail Gods punish all hikers more or less equally.

          PCT = Perpetually Climbing Trail

        • Kevin Aston
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
            I did the stretch from Evolution Creek to North Lake last year. (See
            my pictures @ http://www.kevinaston.com/toNorthlake.html ) I had
            been hurt and we decided that was the fastest way out. We had been to
            Muir Ranch a couple of days before that. From the Piute Tr junction
            to North Lake is about a 1 1/2 day hike. To go from the juntion to
            Muir Ranch and back, plus take the time to get your stuff, you would
            add a day onto your hike. I also really didn't care for the part you
            would have to do 2 times. I see no reason to add another day on to go
            to Muir unless you just wanted to see the Muir Ranch. It wasn't a
            place I would go a day out of my way to see, plus it would cost you
            $47 or more to get your stuff shipped in. To me it is a nobrainer to
            just hike out North Lake without the resupply. I am going in North
            Lake this year and am definitly not considering Muir Ranch for
            anything.
            Good luck.
            Kevin Aston

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian"

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
              Good input - sounds like it isn't worth it - I guess it's back to
              scrutinizing my pack weight and meal options....Barbara

              _____

              <http://www.kevinaston.com/toNorthlake.html> on.com/toNorthlake.html ) I had

              --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
              <barbara@...> wrote:

              > Hi there - Has anyone got any any advice, info or hints re. food
              > drops/sending packages on to MTR? I know they're expensive, but
              other than
              > that? I'm doing the South Lake to North Lake hike, and plan on
              being out
              > about 9 days, really don't want to carry all that food, and thought
              this
              > might be an option. Thanks so much - Barbara

            • Steve Schauer
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
                Good info on the time from Piute Creek to North lake.

              • Patt gray
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 12, 2008
                  Well the other reason for going down to towards MTR : Blayney Hot Springs and Warm Lake........but HYOH....Patt

                  Steve Schauer <clairehiker@...> wrote: Good info on the time from Piute Creek to North lake.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  patt gray