Re: [John Muir Trail] Muir Tr Ranch food drops

  • Bob Bankhead
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
      Going north,

      From the Piute Creek trail junction (elev 8050) to the JMT southern cutoff (aka Florence Lake trail junction; elev 7880) is 1.8 miles and an elevation loss of 170 feet)

      Florence Lake trail junction to Muir Trail Ranch (elev 7600) is another 1.5 miles and an elevation loss of 280 feet.

      That makes the total 3.3 miles and 450 feet of elevation loss.

      What I want to know is what is the trail from MTR back up to the NORTH JMT trail junction (elev 8400) like? Supposedly the distance is only 1 mile but the elevation gain is 800 feet (15.2% grade). Has anyone tried going up that with a full pack?

      Wanderingn Bob

    • clairehiker
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
        Last year we went down that way to MTR. As you noted the trail is very steep, and hard
        even with a lightened load. It was poorly maintained, with tree roots holding the meager
        soil. At least it was shady! We even wondered if we had strayed from the right trail,
        because the junction signs were not as described in our guide book. I would be interested
        to know if others had that same experience, or maybe we were on a lesser used trail?
        Claire
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bankhead" <wandering_bob@...> wrote:

        > Going north,
        >
        > From the Piute Creek trail junction (elev 8050) to the JMT southern cutoff (aka Florence
        Lake trail junction; elev 7880) is 1.8 miles and an elevation loss of 170 feet)

        > Florence Lake trail junction to Muir Trail Ranch (elev 7600) is another 1.5 miles and an
        elevation loss of 280 feet.

        > That makes the total 3.3 miles and 450 feet of elevation loss.
        >

        > What I want to know is what is the trail from MTR back up to the NORTH JMT trail
        junction (elev 8400) like? Supposedly the distance is only 1 mile but the elevation gain is
        800 feet (15.2% grade). Has anyone tried going up that with a full pack?

        > Wanderingn Bob

      • Barbara Karagosian
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
          Thanks Claire. We're going Aug 8-16. What are you doing for food? Carrying
          it all in on ego? Barbara

          _____

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
            We are going in on Aug 27-Sept 3. I hadn't thought
            about resupplying at MTR until you mentioned it, was
            just going to suffer, but I might reconsider.
            Claire

          • Bob Bankhead
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
              That's good news for the southbounders looking to resupply at MTR; not so good for the northbounders who then have two options after resupplying at MTR: (1) to climb that hill (800 feet elev gain in 1 mile = 15.2% grade) or (2) backtrack 1.5 miles and 280 feet of gain to the southern JMT/Florence Lake trail junction then go north another 1.7 miles and 520 feet of gain to the northern JMT trail junction for a total distance of 3.2 miles and 900 feet of gain (5.3% grade).

              What a choice; 3 miles at 5% or 1 mile at 15%. Oh well, northbounders get to go DOWN the Golden Staircase from Mather Pass while southbounders....................

              The trail Gods punish all hikers more or less equally.

              PCT = Perpetually Climbing Trail

            • Kevin Aston
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
                I did the stretch from Evolution Creek to North Lake last year. (See
                my pictures @ http://www.kevinaston.com/toNorthlake.html ) I had
                been hurt and we decided that was the fastest way out. We had been to
                Muir Ranch a couple of days before that. From the Piute Tr junction
                to North Lake is about a 1 1/2 day hike. To go from the juntion to
                Muir Ranch and back, plus take the time to get your stuff, you would
                add a day onto your hike. I also really didn't care for the part you
                would have to do 2 times. I see no reason to add another day on to go
                to Muir unless you just wanted to see the Muir Ranch. It wasn't a
                place I would go a day out of my way to see, plus it would cost you
                $47 or more to get your stuff shipped in. To me it is a nobrainer to
                just hike out North Lake without the resupply. I am going in North
                Lake this year and am definitly not considering Muir Ranch for
                anything.
                Good luck.
                Kevin Aston

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian"

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
                  Good input - sounds like it isn't worth it - I guess it's back to
                  scrutinizing my pack weight and meal options....Barbara

                  _____

                  <http://www.kevinaston.com/toNorthlake.html> on.com/toNorthlake.html ) I had

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
                  <barbara@...> wrote:

                  > Hi there - Has anyone got any any advice, info or hints re. food
                  > drops/sending packages on to MTR? I know they're expensive, but
                  other than
                  > that? I'm doing the South Lake to North Lake hike, and plan on
                  being out
                  > about 9 days, really don't want to carry all that food, and thought
                  this
                  > might be an option. Thanks so much - Barbara

                • Steve Schauer
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
                    Good info on the time from Piute Creek to North lake.

                  • Patt gray
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 12, 2008
                      Well the other reason for going down to towards MTR : Blayney Hot Springs and Warm Lake........but HYOH....Patt

                      Steve Schauer <clairehiker@...> wrote: Good info on the time from Piute Creek to North lake.

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      patt gray