Re: [John Muir Trail] Muir Tr Ranch food drops

  • Steve Schauer
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
      It is not so far to go down to Muir Trail Ranch from
      the junction of the JMT and the Piute Creek Bridge
      that brings you into Kings Canyon, about 3.3 miles,and
      only 300ft elevation change, and that does save you
      quite a bit of weight in food. Since it is such a
      classic resupply point on the JMT it was fun to see.
      Also across the river from the camping area are the
      Blayney Hot Springs. Be advised, there is no defined
      crossing point, just cross the river and look around
      for some muddy holes in the meadow. I found one hot
      spring in which you could see the bottom, that's the
      one I went in! There is also a lake that is warm
      enough to swim in.
      We are going to do North Lake-South Lake loop this
      year toward the end of August.
      Claire
      --- Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:

      > Hi there - Has anyone got any any advice, info or
      > hints re. food
      > drops/sending packages on to MTR? I know they're
      > expensive, but other than
      > that? I'm doing the South Lake to North Lake hike,
      > and plan on being out
      > about 9 days, really don't want to carry all that
      > food, and thought this
      > might be an option. Thanks so much - Barbara

      > removed]

    • Bob Bankhead
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
        Going north,

        From the Piute Creek trail junction (elev 8050) to the JMT southern cutoff (aka Florence Lake trail junction; elev 7880) is 1.8 miles and an elevation loss of 170 feet)

        Florence Lake trail junction to Muir Trail Ranch (elev 7600) is another 1.5 miles and an elevation loss of 280 feet.

        That makes the total 3.3 miles and 450 feet of elevation loss.

        What I want to know is what is the trail from MTR back up to the NORTH JMT trail junction (elev 8400) like? Supposedly the distance is only 1 mile but the elevation gain is 800 feet (15.2% grade). Has anyone tried going up that with a full pack?

        Wanderingn Bob

      • clairehiker
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
          Last year we went down that way to MTR. As you noted the trail is very steep, and hard
          even with a lightened load. It was poorly maintained, with tree roots holding the meager
          soil. At least it was shady! We even wondered if we had strayed from the right trail,
          because the junction signs were not as described in our guide book. I would be interested
          to know if others had that same experience, or maybe we were on a lesser used trail?
          Claire
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bankhead" <wandering_bob@...> wrote:

          > Going north,
          >
          > From the Piute Creek trail junction (elev 8050) to the JMT southern cutoff (aka Florence
          Lake trail junction; elev 7880) is 1.8 miles and an elevation loss of 170 feet)

          > Florence Lake trail junction to Muir Trail Ranch (elev 7600) is another 1.5 miles and an
          elevation loss of 280 feet.

          > That makes the total 3.3 miles and 450 feet of elevation loss.
          >

          > What I want to know is what is the trail from MTR back up to the NORTH JMT trail
          junction (elev 8400) like? Supposedly the distance is only 1 mile but the elevation gain is
          800 feet (15.2% grade). Has anyone tried going up that with a full pack?

          > Wanderingn Bob

        • Barbara Karagosian
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
            Thanks Claire. We're going Aug 8-16. What are you doing for food? Carrying
            it all in on ego? Barbara

            _____

            --- Barbara Karagosian <barbara@mkpe. <mailto:barbara%40mkpe.com> com>
            wrote:

            > Hi there - Has anyone got any any advice, info or
            > hints re. food
            > drops/sending packages on to MTR? I know they're
            > expensive, but other than
            > that? I'm doing the South Lake to North Lake hike,
            > and plan on being out
            > about 9 days, really don't want to carry all that
            > food, and thought this
            > might be an option. Thanks so much - Barbara

            > removed]

          • Steve Schauer
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
              We are going in on Aug 27-Sept 3. I hadn't thought
              about resupplying at MTR until you mentioned it, was
              just going to suffer, but I might reconsider.

            • Bob Bankhead
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
                That's good news for the southbounders looking to resupply at MTR; not so good for the northbounders who then have two options after resupplying at MTR: (1) to climb that hill (800 feet elev gain in 1 mile = 15.2% grade) or (2) backtrack 1.5 miles and 280 feet of gain to the southern JMT/Florence Lake trail junction then go north another 1.7 miles and 520 feet of gain to the northern JMT trail junction for a total distance of 3.2 miles and 900 feet of gain (5.3% grade).

                What a choice; 3 miles at 5% or 1 mile at 15%. Oh well, northbounders get to go DOWN the Golden Staircase from Mather Pass while southbounders....................

                The trail Gods punish all hikers more or less equally.

                PCT = Perpetually Climbing Trail

              • Kevin Aston
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
                  I did the stretch from Evolution Creek to North Lake last year. (See
                  my pictures @ http://www.kevinaston.com/toNorthlake.html ) I had
                  been hurt and we decided that was the fastest way out. We had been to
                  Muir Ranch a couple of days before that. From the Piute Tr junction
                  to North Lake is about a 1 1/2 day hike. To go from the juntion to
                  Muir Ranch and back, plus take the time to get your stuff, you would
                  add a day onto your hike. I also really didn't care for the part you
                  would have to do 2 times. I see no reason to add another day on to go
                  to Muir unless you just wanted to see the Muir Ranch. It wasn't a
                  place I would go a day out of my way to see, plus it would cost you
                  $47 or more to get your stuff shipped in. To me it is a nobrainer to
                  just hike out North Lake without the resupply. I am going in North
                  Lake this year and am definitly not considering Muir Ranch for
                  anything.
                  Good luck.
                  Kevin Aston

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian"

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
                    Good input - sounds like it isn't worth it - I guess it's back to
                    scrutinizing my pack weight and meal options....Barbara

                    _____

                    <http://www.kevinaston.com/toNorthlake.html> on.com/toNorthlake.html ) I had

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
                      Good info on the time from Piute Creek to North lake.

                    • Patt gray
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 12, 2008
                        Well the other reason for going down to towards MTR : Blayney Hot Springs and Warm Lake........but HYOH....Patt

                        Steve Schauer <clairehiker@...> wrote: Good info on the time from Piute Creek to North lake.

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        patt gray