Muir Tr Ranch food drops

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
      Hi there - Has anyone got any any advice, info or hints re. food
      drops/sending packages on to MTR? I know they're expensive, but other than
      that? I'm doing the South Lake to North Lake hike, and plan on being out
      about 9 days, really don't want to carry all that food, and thought this
      might be an option. Thanks so much - Barbara

    • Paul
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian"
        <barbara@...> wrote:
        >Barbara,

        Some poeple have had their food brought in by mule to the Charlotte
        Lake region. I have heard somewhere in the range of $350.00. This
        makes MTR at $50.00 seem a real bargin!

        There are no real alternatives.

        Paul
        > Hi there - Has anyone got any any advice, info or hints re. food
        > drops/sending packages on to MTR? I know they're expensive, but
        other than
        > that? I'm doing the South Lake to North Lake hike, and plan on
        being out
        > about 9 days, really don't want to carry all that food, and thought
        this
        > might be an option. Thanks so much - Barbara

      • Steve Schauer
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
          It is not so far to go down to Muir Trail Ranch from
          the junction of the JMT and the Piute Creek Bridge
          that brings you into Kings Canyon, about 3.3 miles,and
          only 300ft elevation change, and that does save you
          quite a bit of weight in food. Since it is such a
          classic resupply point on the JMT it was fun to see.
          Also across the river from the camping area are the
          Blayney Hot Springs. Be advised, there is no defined
          crossing point, just cross the river and look around
          for some muddy holes in the meadow. I found one hot
          spring in which you could see the bottom, that's the
          one I went in! There is also a lake that is warm
          enough to swim in.
          We are going to do North Lake-South Lake loop this
          year toward the end of August.
          Claire
          --- Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:

          > Hi there - Has anyone got any any advice, info or
          > hints re. food
          > drops/sending packages on to MTR? I know they're
          > expensive, but other than
          > that? I'm doing the South Lake to North Lake hike,
          > and plan on being out
          > about 9 days, really don't want to carry all that
          > food, and thought this
          > might be an option. Thanks so much - Barbara

          > removed]

        • Bob Bankhead
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
            Going north,

            From the Piute Creek trail junction (elev 8050) to the JMT southern cutoff (aka Florence Lake trail junction; elev 7880) is 1.8 miles and an elevation loss of 170 feet)

            Florence Lake trail junction to Muir Trail Ranch (elev 7600) is another 1.5 miles and an elevation loss of 280 feet.

            That makes the total 3.3 miles and 450 feet of elevation loss.

            What I want to know is what is the trail from MTR back up to the NORTH JMT trail junction (elev 8400) like? Supposedly the distance is only 1 mile but the elevation gain is 800 feet (15.2% grade). Has anyone tried going up that with a full pack?

            Wanderingn Bob

          • clairehiker
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
              Last year we went down that way to MTR. As you noted the trail is very steep, and hard
              even with a lightened load. It was poorly maintained, with tree roots holding the meager
              soil. At least it was shady! We even wondered if we had strayed from the right trail,
              because the junction signs were not as described in our guide book. I would be interested
              to know if others had that same experience, or maybe we were on a lesser used trail?
              Claire
              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bankhead" <wandering_bob@...> wrote:

              > Going north,
              >
              > From the Piute Creek trail junction (elev 8050) to the JMT southern cutoff (aka Florence
              Lake trail junction; elev 7880) is 1.8 miles and an elevation loss of 170 feet)

              > Florence Lake trail junction to Muir Trail Ranch (elev 7600) is another 1.5 miles and an
              elevation loss of 280 feet.

              > That makes the total 3.3 miles and 450 feet of elevation loss.
              >

              > What I want to know is what is the trail from MTR back up to the NORTH JMT trail
              junction (elev 8400) like? Supposedly the distance is only 1 mile but the elevation gain is
              800 feet (15.2% grade). Has anyone tried going up that with a full pack?

              > Wanderingn Bob

            • Barbara Karagosian
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
                Thanks Claire. We're going Aug 8-16. What are you doing for food? Carrying
                it all in on ego? Barbara

                _____

                --- Barbara Karagosian <barbara@mkpe. <mailto:barbara%40mkpe.com> com>
                wrote:

                > Hi there - Has anyone got any any advice, info or
                > hints re. food
                > drops/sending packages on to MTR? I know they're
                > expensive, but other than
                > that? I'm doing the South Lake to North Lake hike,
                > and plan on being out
                > about 9 days, really don't want to carry all that
                > food, and thought this
                > might be an option. Thanks so much - Barbara

                > removed]

              • Steve Schauer
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
                  We are going in on Aug 27-Sept 3. I hadn't thought
                  about resupplying at MTR until you mentioned it, was
                  just going to suffer, but I might reconsider.
                  Claire

                • Bob Bankhead
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
                    That's good news for the southbounders looking to resupply at MTR; not so good for the northbounders who then have two options after resupplying at MTR: (1) to climb that hill (800 feet elev gain in 1 mile = 15.2% grade) or (2) backtrack 1.5 miles and 280 feet of gain to the southern JMT/Florence Lake trail junction then go north another 1.7 miles and 520 feet of gain to the northern JMT trail junction for a total distance of 3.2 miles and 900 feet of gain (5.3% grade).

                    What a choice; 3 miles at 5% or 1 mile at 15%. Oh well, northbounders get to go DOWN the Golden Staircase from Mather Pass while southbounders....................

                    The trail Gods punish all hikers more or less equally.

                    PCT = Perpetually Climbing Trail

                  • Kevin Aston
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
                      I did the stretch from Evolution Creek to North Lake last year. (See
                      my pictures @ http://www.kevinaston.com/toNorthlake.html ) I had
                      been hurt and we decided that was the fastest way out. We had been to
                      Muir Ranch a couple of days before that. From the Piute Tr junction
                      to North Lake is about a 1 1/2 day hike. To go from the juntion to
                      Muir Ranch and back, plus take the time to get your stuff, you would
                      add a day onto your hike. I also really didn't care for the part you
                      would have to do 2 times. I see no reason to add another day on to go
                      to Muir unless you just wanted to see the Muir Ranch. It wasn't a
                      place I would go a day out of my way to see, plus it would cost you
                      $47 or more to get your stuff shipped in. To me it is a nobrainer to
                      just hike out North Lake without the resupply. I am going in North
                      Lake this year and am definitly not considering Muir Ranch for
                      anything.
                      Good luck.
                      Kevin Aston

                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
                        Good input - sounds like it isn't worth it - I guess it's back to
                        scrutinizing my pack weight and meal options....Barbara

                        _____

                        <http://www.kevinaston.com/toNorthlake.html> on.com/toNorthlake.html ) I had

                        --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>

                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
                          Good info on the time from Piute Creek to North lake.

                        • Patt gray
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 12, 2008
                            Well the other reason for going down to towards MTR : Blayney Hot Springs and Warm Lake........but HYOH....Patt

                            Steve Schauer <clairehiker@...> wrote: Good info on the time from Piute Creek to North lake.

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            patt gray