Re: [John Muir Trail] Missing Piece of the Puzzle

  • Bob Bankhead
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 10, 2008
      Get off the shuttle and walk south 100 yards.

      Mammoth Mtn Inn is at the end of the shuttle line from Mammoth Mtn Ski Area to/from Red's Meadow.

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 10, 2008
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jfishernj" <fisherfamilyca@...>
        wrote:
        >John,

        You will need to take 3 buses to get to the town of Mammoth Lakes. It
        is a lot easier than it sounds. When you take the bus from Reds
        Meadow/Devils postpile to the top of Mammoth mountain ski area inquire
        with your bus driver. He/She will give you the skinny. You get on the
        bike bus. This is a bus that brings all the mountain bikes up the
        hill, it has a long trailer attached. They pick up every 30 minutes or
        so, it's free and always empty going back down the hill. It also picks
        up right next to where you just got off from Reds. From this point
        there is a cute little trolley that runs all around the town of Mammoth
        Lakes it is also free. The driver can tell you the good spots for food
        and wine/beer.

        Paul
        > Here's the plan:
        > Park at Mammoth Mountain Inn.
        > YARTS to TM.
        > Hike back to Red's Meadow/Devil's Post Pile.
        > Take shuttle bus from Devil's Post Pile vicinity back to Mammoth
        Mountain ski area (which is
        > the shuttle terminus as best I can tell).
        > BUT, how do I complete the loop and get from ski area shuttle bus
        stop back to Mammoth
        > Mountain Inn?
        > A search of the postings has not provided conclusive answer.
        > Thanks,
        > John Fisher

      • jfishernj
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 10, 2008
          Paul, Bob -
          Thanks for the answers. I was confused about the location of the Mammoth Mountain Inn
          because I was looking at the map in Trip Advisor, which places the Inn back down in
          Mammoth Lakes. But now that I know about the Bike Shuttle, I can expand my choices of
          lodging.
          J.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <eaglepdub@...> wrote:

          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jfishernj" <fisherfamilyca@>
          > wrote:
          > >John,
          >
          > You will need to take 3 buses to get to the town of Mammoth Lakes. It
          > is a lot easier than it sounds. When you take the bus from Reds
          > Meadow/Devils postpile to the top of Mammoth mountain ski area inquire
          > with your bus driver. He/She will give you the skinny. You get on the
          > bike bus. This is a bus that brings all the mountain bikes up the
          > hill, it has a long trailer attached. They pick up every 30 minutes or
          > so, it's free and always empty going back down the hill. It also picks
          > up right next to where you just got off from Reds. From this point
          > there is a cute little trolley that runs all around the town of Mammoth
          > Lakes it is also free. The driver can tell you the good spots for food
          > and wine/beer.
          >
          > Paul
          > > Here's the plan:
          > > Park at Mammoth Mountain Inn.
          > > YARTS to TM.
          > > Hike back to Red's Meadow/Devil's Post Pile.
          > > Take shuttle bus from Devil's Post Pile vicinity back to Mammoth
          > Mountain ski area (which is
          > > the shuttle terminus as best I can tell).
          > > BUT, how do I complete the loop and get from ski area shuttle bus
          > stop back to Mammoth
          > > Mountain Inn?
          > > A search of the postings has not provided conclusive answer.
          > > Thanks,
          > > John Fisher

        • John Kays
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 11, 2008
            Didn't see the original post indicating your timeframe but if you are planning this late in the season, the Red's Meadow shuttle stops the first or second Sunday in September. Probably, therefore should check with forest service as to the exact date if you are planning usage during the early part of September.

          • marti124
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 12, 2008
              My questions are answered by this posting. Is there any links to this
              service? Thanks, Paul,

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <eaglepdub@...> wrote:

              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jfishernj" <fisherfamilyca@>
              > wrote:
              > >John,
              >
              > You will need to take 3 buses to get to the town of Mammoth Lakes. It
              > is a lot easier than it sounds. When you take the bus from Reds
              > Meadow/Devils postpile to the top of Mammoth mountain ski area inquire
              > with your bus driver. He/She will give you the skinny. You get on the
              > bike bus. This is a bus that brings all the mountain bikes up the
              > hill, it has a long trailer attached. They pick up every 30 minutes or
              > so, it's free and always empty going back down the hill. It also picks
              > up right next to where you just got off from Reds. From this point
              > there is a cute little trolley that runs all around the town of Mammoth
              > Lakes it is also free. The driver can tell you the good spots for food
              > and wine/beer.
              >
              > Paul
              > > Here's the plan:
              > > Park at Mammoth Mountain Inn.
              > > YARTS to TM.
              > > Hike back to Red's Meadow/Devil's Post Pile.
              > > Take shuttle bus from Devil's Post Pile vicinity back to Mammoth
              > Mountain ski area (which is
              > > the shuttle terminus as best I can tell).
              > > BUT, how do I complete the loop and get from ski area shuttle bus
              > stop back to Mammoth
              > > Mountain Inn?
              > > A search of the postings has not provided conclusive answer.
              > > Thanks,
              > > John Fisher

            • Paul
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 12, 2008
                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "marti124" <roleigh@...> wrote:
                >Sheeeeesh Roleigh do I have to do all your homework for you? Just
                kidding, here are the web pages. The only one that is not clear is
                the bike shuttle. Just ask questions of the bus drivers they will
                help you to get where you want to go. You will not have to walk more
                than a few steps prior to or after your hike.

                http://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/feesandreservations.htm

                http://www.stayinmammoth.com/transportation.php

                http://www.ci.mammoth-lakes.ca.us/trolley/Trolley%20Flyer.pdf

                Paul