Missing Piece of the Puzzle

  • jfishernj
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 9, 2008
      Here's the plan:
      Park at Mammoth Mountain Inn.
      YARTS to TM.
      Hike back to Red's Meadow/Devil's Post Pile.
      Take shuttle bus from Devil's Post Pile vicinity back to Mammoth Mountain ski area (which is
      the shuttle terminus as best I can tell).
      BUT, how do I complete the loop and get from ski area shuttle bus stop back to Mammoth
      Mountain Inn?
      A search of the postings has not provided conclusive answer.
      Thanks,
      John Fisher
    • Bob Bankhead
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 10, 2008
        Get off the shuttle and walk south 100 yards.

        Mammoth Mtn Inn is at the end of the shuttle line from Mammoth Mtn Ski Area to/from Red's Meadow.

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 10, 2008
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jfishernj" <fisherfamilyca@...>
          wrote:
          >John,

          You will need to take 3 buses to get to the town of Mammoth Lakes. It
          is a lot easier than it sounds. When you take the bus from Reds
          Meadow/Devils postpile to the top of Mammoth mountain ski area inquire
          with your bus driver. He/She will give you the skinny. You get on the
          bike bus. This is a bus that brings all the mountain bikes up the
          hill, it has a long trailer attached. They pick up every 30 minutes or
          so, it's free and always empty going back down the hill. It also picks
          up right next to where you just got off from Reds. From this point
          there is a cute little trolley that runs all around the town of Mammoth
          Lakes it is also free. The driver can tell you the good spots for food
          and wine/beer.

          Paul
          > Here's the plan:
          > Park at Mammoth Mountain Inn.
          > YARTS to TM.
          > Hike back to Red's Meadow/Devil's Post Pile.
          > Take shuttle bus from Devil's Post Pile vicinity back to Mammoth
          Mountain ski area (which is
          > the shuttle terminus as best I can tell).
          > BUT, how do I complete the loop and get from ski area shuttle bus
          stop back to Mammoth
          > Mountain Inn?
          > A search of the postings has not provided conclusive answer.
          > Thanks,
          > John Fisher

        • jfishernj
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 10, 2008
            Paul, Bob -
            Thanks for the answers. I was confused about the location of the Mammoth Mountain Inn
            because I was looking at the map in Trip Advisor, which places the Inn back down in
            Mammoth Lakes. But now that I know about the Bike Shuttle, I can expand my choices of
            lodging.
            J.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <eaglepdub@...> wrote:

            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jfishernj" <fisherfamilyca@>
            > wrote:
            > >John,
            >
            > You will need to take 3 buses to get to the town of Mammoth Lakes. It
            > is a lot easier than it sounds. When you take the bus from Reds
            > Meadow/Devils postpile to the top of Mammoth mountain ski area inquire
            > with your bus driver. He/She will give you the skinny. You get on the
            > bike bus. This is a bus that brings all the mountain bikes up the
            > hill, it has a long trailer attached. They pick up every 30 minutes or
            > so, it's free and always empty going back down the hill. It also picks
            > up right next to where you just got off from Reds. From this point
            > there is a cute little trolley that runs all around the town of Mammoth
            > Lakes it is also free. The driver can tell you the good spots for food
            > and wine/beer.
            >
            > Paul
            > > Here's the plan:
            > > Park at Mammoth Mountain Inn.
            > > YARTS to TM.
            > > Hike back to Red's Meadow/Devil's Post Pile.
            > > Take shuttle bus from Devil's Post Pile vicinity back to Mammoth
            > Mountain ski area (which is
            > > the shuttle terminus as best I can tell).
            > > BUT, how do I complete the loop and get from ski area shuttle bus
            > stop back to Mammoth
            > > Mountain Inn?
            > > A search of the postings has not provided conclusive answer.
            > > Thanks,
            > > John Fisher

          • John Kays
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 11, 2008
              Didn't see the original post indicating your timeframe but if you are planning this late in the season, the Red's Meadow shuttle stops the first or second Sunday in September. Probably, therefore should check with forest service as to the exact date if you are planning usage during the early part of September.

            • marti124
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 12, 2008
                My questions are answered by this posting. Is there any links to this
                service? Thanks, Paul,

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <eaglepdub@...> wrote:

                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jfishernj" <fisherfamilyca@>
                > wrote:
                > >John,
                >
                > You will need to take 3 buses to get to the town of Mammoth Lakes. It
                > is a lot easier than it sounds. When you take the bus from Reds
                > Meadow/Devils postpile to the top of Mammoth mountain ski area inquire
                > with your bus driver. He/She will give you the skinny. You get on the
                > bike bus. This is a bus that brings all the mountain bikes up the
                > hill, it has a long trailer attached. They pick up every 30 minutes or
                > so, it's free and always empty going back down the hill. It also picks
                > up right next to where you just got off from Reds. From this point
                > there is a cute little trolley that runs all around the town of Mammoth
                > Lakes it is also free. The driver can tell you the good spots for food
                > and wine/beer.
                >
                > Paul
                > > Here's the plan:
                > > Park at Mammoth Mountain Inn.
                > > YARTS to TM.
                > > Hike back to Red's Meadow/Devil's Post Pile.
                > > Take shuttle bus from Devil's Post Pile vicinity back to Mammoth
                > Mountain ski area (which is
                > > the shuttle terminus as best I can tell).
                > > BUT, how do I complete the loop and get from ski area shuttle bus
                > stop back to Mammoth
                > > Mountain Inn?
                > > A search of the postings has not provided conclusive answer.
                > > Thanks,
                > > John Fisher

              • Paul
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 12, 2008
                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "marti124" <roleigh@...> wrote:
                  >Sheeeeesh Roleigh do I have to do all your homework for you? Just
                  kidding, here are the web pages. The only one that is not clear is
                  the bike shuttle. Just ask questions of the bus drivers they will
                  help you to get where you want to go. You will not have to walk more
                  than a few steps prior to or after your hike.

                  http://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/feesandreservations.htm

                  http://www.stayinmammoth.com/transportation.php

                  http://www.ci.mammoth-lakes.ca.us/trolley/Trolley%20Flyer.pdf

                  Paul