Memories Day 5

  • hmdsierra
    Message 1 of 473 , Aug 5, 1999
      Day 5 Aug 5, 1982<br>It felt warmer last night
      but we still had frosty sleeping bags this morning.
      No bears. On the trail by 9:30, another early start.
      In two hours we had crossed Island Pass,one of the
      few that did not have snow on it, and arrived at 1000
      Island Lk. We continued on and in another hour and a
      half we stopped at a small creek just south of the
      outlet of Garnet Lk. We ate Garys meatstick since the
      bear had eaten mine. The mustard he has brought went
      very well with it. Two more hours had us at the old
      bridge crossing Shadow Lk. inlet. Two years later when I
      returned they had rerouted the train and built another
      bridge a little ways upstream. Shadow Ck. looked like a
      good fishing creek but we didn't have time to try it
      this time. The descent of Shadow Ck. was steep and was
      hard on Gary's knee. The trail soon turned up again
      and Owen and I went on ahead. We soon topped the
      ridge and were greeted by the beautiful view of Rosalie
      Lk. In a few minutes I arrived at a nice campsite
      just before the outlet of the lake. In a few minutes
      more Owen arrived. He had been moving well all day
      long. Gary arrived about 10 minutes later. He said,
      short of a miracle cure, he would be leaving at Devils
      Postpile. Hate to see him go, especially since the trip was
      his idea. My wife and I had started the trail in 1969
      but also left at Devils Postpile after she fractured
      her foot. Owen and I will continue on. Dinner tonight
      chicken almondine. 10.4 miles today.
    • tiocampo
      Message 473 of 473 , Feb 24, 2002