Memories Day 4

  • hmdsierra
    Message 1 of 473 , Aug 4 10:58 PM
      We slept well and rose at 7 AM to find everything
      covered with frost, including our sleeping bags. We got
      with it and were out of camp at 9:45. Early starts are
      not our way. We ran into a couple of guys coming from
      Devils Postpile who wanted to see bears. They said they
      had even put out bacon with no luck. We directed them
      to Cathedral Lks. Caught up with Gary at the bridge
      over Lyell Ck. We soon came to the last little lake at
      the base of Donahue Pass. It was solid snow to the
      pass. Northbound travelers were just coming straight
      down thru the snow to the lake. We stopped and had
      sno-cones befoe starting up. We were on the trail so we
      stuck with it until we found ourselves standing in a
      washed out rut. Nearby was a woman standing in a similar
      rut but we thought she was on the trail so we went
      over. Giving up on the trail all of us just climbed
      straight up the mountain over the rocks. Fortunately it
      was easy going and in 45 minutes we were on the crest
      just east of the pass. We regained the trail and went
      on down. On the way we had to cross several creeks.
      I went across first and Gary was going to help Owen
      across. Owen leaped, but not hard enough. Both Gary and I
      had him midway. Gary was waiting for me to let go and
      I for him. The result was I got dragged into the
      creek. it was only thigh deep but very very cold. Garys
      knee had started giving him problems coming down from
      the pass and he stopped to put on a brace. He said
      without the brace he would not be able to even walk. We
      continued on to camp at Rush Ck. We turned left at the
      trail junction, crossed the creek and turned right into
      a large level campsite on the island. The creek
      split in two at the southwest corner of the island and
      flowed around both sides. My wife and I had camped there
      in 1969 and in the camp next to us were 3 girls on
      an Outward Bound trip. We seemed to be pretty much
      by ourselves this time. Gary broke out his fishing
      pole and made a few casts then gave it to Owen. No
      luck, so we fixed dinner we brought. We left the dishes
      to wash in the morning, however, we placed them far
      from camp. There was a fine sitting and leaning log
      there. I slept between it and the fire, something I
      rarely do anymore. Years later Gary and I intended to go
      to the same site. We made all the turns and the
      campsite had disappeared. We finally found it and
      determined that the trail junction had been relocated. Good
      thing we found it or we would probably still be there
      wondering where it went. We left the packs on the ground
      feeling that once we were outside Yosemite we would not
      have bear problems. We were right ut things have
      changed since then. 10 miles today.
    • tiocampo
      Message 473 of 473 , Feb 24, 2002