Re: [John Muir Trail] another one . . . be careful . . .

  • Madmxe@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011

      In a message dated 8/2/2011 11:29:46 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, bobolonius@... writes:
      In all fairness though . . . she?   was trying to get down, wasn't she
       Yea that's the way I understand it and that sucks.
      I do not get why the ranger would not say NO do not go up there when the weather turns to crap. How would he feel if someone dies that he told to go ahead and go up? And judging from that U tube video the weather really turned to crap.
    • Herb
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
        I am certainly sympathetic to the family that lost a loved one. But in my opinion it should not be up to the NPS to monitor trail usage and close trails when the weather turns. Yosemite is not Disneyland. The NPS is not there to guarantee our safety. We make the personal choice to go up a dome on cables or to cross a bridge under a waterfall, and have to bear the consequences of the risk we assume. If the NPS has the duty to provide a risk-free experience for the hiker then almost every trail will have to be closed.

        What we need to take from this is that fatal accidents are a real possibility, and that we are solely responsible for our own safety.

        Herb

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Madmxe@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 8/2/2011 11:29:46 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
        > bobolonius@... writes:
        >
        > In all fairness though . . . she? was trying to get down, wasn't she
        >
        > Yea that's the way I understand it and that sucks.
        > I do not get why the ranger would not say NO do not go up there when the
        > weather turns to crap. How would he feel if someone dies that he told to go
        > ahead and go up? And judging from that U tube video the weather really
        > turned to crap.

      • Barbara Karagosian
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
          Yet the park does close trails if they're unsafe, for example the Mist Trail in winter, the 4 mile trail in winter (up to Glacier Point), the Mirror Lake trail at one point after a rock fall.

          Barbara
          Typos by iPad