Re: [John Muir Trail] another one . . . be careful . . .

  • kenorlael
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
      We've been doing half-dome as a group every year for over a decade as part of a backpack trip fro t Meadows to the Valley, and have never had a problem with the cables. The rock is a smooth in places, but between the cables and boards, if the rock is not wet from rain, you would actually have to work at it to fall. Some people clip into the cables, but it really isn't necessary (if you feel more secure that way - great). Mostly the challenge is psychological (although you do get a good cardio workout). For the past two years there has been a ranger at the base of the last section collecting quota tickets. (The quota tickets have dramatically improved the congestion that used to occur on the cables). Their standard line is that they cannot tell you what you may or may not do, but if there is rain happening or forecast, they advise against it.

      We always watch the weather, and would never take the trip up if there was any chance of thunderstorm or if the rock was wet. There is a lot of information about that, although I suppose you could miss it.

      Having said that, accidents do happen. Some freak movement could result in a fall and a fatality (as could happen anywhere on any trail). Overall, though, if you use good judgment, and you have the physical strength to do it - which you probably have if you can even get to the cables in the first place - half-dome is doable safely as is.

    • Madmxe@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011

        In a message dated 8/2/2011 11:29:46 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, bobolonius@... writes:
        In all fairness though . . . she?   was trying to get down, wasn't she
         Yea that's the way I understand it and that sucks.
        I do not get why the ranger would not say NO do not go up there when the weather turns to crap. How would he feel if someone dies that he told to go ahead and go up? And judging from that U tube video the weather really turned to crap.
      • Herb
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
          I am certainly sympathetic to the family that lost a loved one. But in my opinion it should not be up to the NPS to monitor trail usage and close trails when the weather turns. Yosemite is not Disneyland. The NPS is not there to guarantee our safety. We make the personal choice to go up a dome on cables or to cross a bridge under a waterfall, and have to bear the consequences of the risk we assume. If the NPS has the duty to provide a risk-free experience for the hiker then almost every trail will have to be closed.

          What we need to take from this is that fatal accidents are a real possibility, and that we are solely responsible for our own safety.

          Herb

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Madmxe@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 8/2/2011 11:29:46 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
          > bobolonius@... writes:
          >
          > In all fairness though . . . she? was trying to get down, wasn't she
          >
          > Yea that's the way I understand it and that sucks.
          > I do not get why the ranger would not say NO do not go up there when the
          > weather turns to crap. How would he feel if someone dies that he told to go
          > ahead and go up? And judging from that U tube video the weather really
          > turned to crap.

        • Barbara Karagosian
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
            Yet the park does close trails if they're unsafe, for example the Mist Trail in winter, the 4 mile trail in winter (up to Glacier Point), the Mirror Lake trail at one point after a rock fall.

            Barbara
            Typos by iPad