Re: South Lake entry reservation

  • Kevin Aston
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 26, 2008
      We got ours this week for a July 7th entry. I doupt you will have to
      fight for permits. The tougher ones to get are for coming out of the
      portal, and they are not bad. Don't panic.
      Have fun
      Kevin Aston

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian"
      <barbara@...> wrote:

      > I'm planning a South lake trailhead entry in early August, hiking
      round Dusy
      > basin, Le Conte, Muir Pass, Evolution, Piute creek and out at North
      Lake. I
      > know I can get a reservation 6 months ahead. does anyone know if
      it's best
      > to be on the phone to the reservation desk at 8am the first day
      possible to
      > call in, or is it better to send in an application? I'm used to
      dealing
      > with reservations at Tuolumne, but not other stations. Thanks so
      much -
      > Barbara

    • Barbara Karagosian
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 26, 2008
        Thanks Kevin - B

        _____

        --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
        <barbara@...> wrote:

        > I'm planning a South lake trailhead entry in early August, hiking
        round Dusy
        > basin, Le Conte, Muir Pass, Evolution, Piute creek and out at North
        Lake. I
        > know I can get a reservation 6 months ahead. does anyone know if
        it's best
        > to be on the phone to the reservation desk at 8am the first day
        possible to
        > call in, or is it better to send in an application? I'm used to
        dealing
        > with reservations at Tuolumne, but not other stations. Thanks so
        much -
        > Barbara

      • Prapanna Smith
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 26, 2008
          Barbara,

          I did that hike last year.

          I would strongly urge you to do that hike in the other direction.
          The trail between
          Hutchinson Meadow and the bridge crossing at the boundary of the
          Kings Canyon
          Park is in very poor condition. You will enjoy hiking down it much
          more than hiking
          up it. You should be able to get a permit the day of the hike, or
          get a reservation
          well in advance.

          Prapanna

          On Jan 26, 2008, at 11:41 AM, Barbara Karagosian wrote:

          > I'm planning a South lake trailhead entry in early August, hiking
          > round Dusy
          > basin, Le Conte, Muir Pass, Evolution, Piute creek and out at North
          > Lake. I
          > know I can get a reservation 6 months ahead. does anyone know if
          > it's best
          > to be on the phone to the reservation desk at 8am the first day
          > possible to
          > call in, or is it better to send in an application? I'm used to
          > dealing
          > with reservations at Tuolumne, but not other stations. Thanks so
          > much -
          > Barbara

        • Barbara Karagosian
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 27, 2008
            Hi Prapanna - thanks so much for the advice, which I will definitely take!
            Barbara

            _____

            I would strongly urge you to do that hike in the other direction.
            The trail between
            Hutchinson Meadow and the bridge crossing at the boundary of the
            Kings Canyon
            Park is in very poor condition. You will enjoy hiking down it much
            more than hiking
            up it. You should be able to get a permit the day of the hike, or
            get a reservation
            well in advance.

            Prapanna

            On Jan 26, 2008, at 11:41 AM, Barbara Karagosian wrote:

            > I'm planning a South lake trailhead entry in early August, hiking
            > round Dusy
            > basin, Le Conte, Muir Pass, Evolution, Piute creek and out at North
            > Lake. I
            > know I can get a reservation 6 months ahead. does anyone know if
            > it's best
            > to be on the phone to the reservation desk at 8am the first day
            > possible to
            > call in, or is it better to send in an application? I'm used to
            > dealing
            > with reservations at Tuolumne, but not other stations. Thanks so
            > much -
            > Barbara

          • clairehiker
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 27, 2008
              I'm wondering how you describe "poor condition." Was the trail rocky, not easy to find, of
              steep elevation? I was planning to do the south lake-north lake trip but may also reverse
              my direction on your advice. Did you camp at North Lake the night before you started?
              How far is the camp from the trailhead? Does there seem to be adequate traihead parking?

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...> wrote:

              > Barbara,
              >
              > I did that hike last year.
              >
              > I would strongly urge you to do that hike in the other direction.
              > The trail between
              > Hutchinson Meadow and the bridge crossing at the boundary of the
              > Kings Canyon
              > Park is in very poor condition. You will enjoy hiking down it much
              > more than hiking
              > up it. You should be able to get a permit the day of the hike, or
              > get a reservation
              > well in advance.
              >
              > Prapanna
              >
              > On Jan 26, 2008, at 11:41 AM, Barbara Karagosian wrote:
              >
              > > I'm planning a South lake trailhead entry in early August, hiking
              > > round Dusy
              > > basin, Le Conte, Muir Pass, Evolution, Piute creek and out at North
              > > Lake. I
              > > know I can get a reservation 6 months ahead. does anyone know if
              > > it's best
              > > to be on the phone to the reservation desk at 8am the first day
              > > possible to
              > > call in, or is it better to send in an application? I'm used to
              > > dealing
              > > with reservations at Tuolumne, but not other stations. Thanks so
              > > much -
              > > Barbara

            • Prapanna Smith
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 27, 2008
                The trail we are speaking of was unmaintained: very rocky, lots of
                downed trees, with one
                very big downed tree near about a half mile or a quarter mile from
                the JMT junction. It was
                probably the worst trail I have ever hiked over 25 years of treking
                the Sierras.

                We actually drove up from San Diego, got our permit, parked our truck
                at South Lake, hitched
                a ride to North Lake, and started the hike all in the same day. The
                road to North Lake was
                quite narrow and there is no parking at the North Lake Trailhead
                campgrounds. If you park
                at North Lake you have to park about a half mile or so from the
                trailhead and then walk to it.
                But then you have to hitch a ride from South Lake at the end of your
                hike to get back to your
                car. It's better to do the hitching before your hike rather than
                after it.

                Prapanna

                On Jan 27, 2008, at 4:09 PM, clairehiker wrote:

                > I'm wondering how you describe "poor condition." Was the trail
                > rocky, not easy to find, of
                > steep elevation? I was planning to do the south lake-north lake
                > trip but may also reverse
                > my direction on your advice. Did you camp at North Lake the night
                > before you started?
                > How far is the camp from the trailhead? Does there seem to be
                > adequate traihead parking?
                >
                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Barbara,
                > >
                > > I did that hike last year.
                > >
                > > I would strongly urge you to do that hike in the other direction.
                > > The trail between
                > > Hutchinson Meadow and the bridge crossing at the boundary of the
                > > Kings Canyon
                > > Park is in very poor condition. You will enjoy hiking down it much
                > > more than hiking
                > > up it. You should be able to get a permit the day of the hike, or
                > > get a reservation
                > > well in advance.
                > >
                > > Prapanna
                > >
                > > On Jan 26, 2008, at 11:41 AM, Barbara Karagosian wrote:
                > >
                > > > I'm planning a South lake trailhead entry in early August, hiking
                > > > round Dusy
                > > > basin, Le Conte, Muir Pass, Evolution, Piute creek and out at
                > North
                > > > Lake. I
                > > > know I can get a reservation 6 months ahead. does anyone know if
                > > > it's best
                > > > to be on the phone to the reservation desk at 8am the first day
                > > > possible to
                > > > call in, or is it better to send in an application? I'm used to
                > > > dealing
                > > > with reservations at Tuolumne, but not other stations. Thanks so
                > > > much -
                > > > Barbara

              • clairehiker
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 27, 2008
                  Thank you for the specific info. Sounds like we will start at North Lake.
                  Claire

                • Barbara Karagosian
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 27, 2008
                    Prapanna - did you go in at North Lake and are you suggesting we go in at
                    South Lake, or vice versa! I got confused. Thanks, Barbara

                    _____

                    Thank you for the specific info. Sounds like we will start at North Lake.
                    Claire

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
                    yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...> wrote:

                    > The trail we are speaking of was unmaintained: very rocky, lots of
                    > downed trees, with one
                    > very big downed tree near about a half mile or a quarter mile from
                    > the JMT junction. It was
                    > probably the worst trail I have ever hiked over 25 years of treking
                    > the Sierras.
                    >
                    > We actually drove up from San Diego, got our permit, parked our truck
                    > at South Lake, hitched
                    > a ride to North Lake, and started the hike all in the same day. The
                    > road to North Lake was
                    > quite narrow and there is no parking at the North Lake Trailhead
                    > campgrounds. If you park
                    > at North Lake you have to park about a half mile or so from the
                    > trailhead and then walk to it.
                    > But then you have to hitch a ride from South Lake at the end of your
                    > hike to get back to your
                    > car. It's better to do the hitching before your hike rather than
                    > after it.
                    >
                    > Prapanna
                    >
                    > On Jan 27, 2008, at 4:09 PM, clairehiker wrote:
                    >
                    > > I'm wondering how you describe "poor condition." Was the trail
                    > > rocky, not easy to find, of
                    > > steep elevation? I was planning to do the south lake-north lake
                    > > trip but may also reverse
                    > > my direction on your advice. Did you camp at North Lake the night
                    > > before you started?
                    > > How far is the camp from the trailhead? Does there seem to be
                    > > adequate traihead parking?
                    > >
                    > > --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
                    yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Barbara,
                    > > >
                    > > > I did that hike last year.
                    > > >
                    > > > I would strongly urge you to do that hike in the other direction.
                    > > > The trail between
                    > > > Hutchinson Meadow and the bridge crossing at the boundary of the
                    > > > Kings Canyon
                    > > > Park is in very poor condition. You will enjoy hiking down it much
                    > > > more than hiking
                    > > > up it. You should be able to get a permit the day of the hike, or
                    > > > get a reservation
                    > > > well in advance.
                    > > >
                    > > > Prapanna

                    > > North

                  • Prapanna Smith
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 27, 2008
                      We parked at South Lake and got a ride to the North Lake Trailhead
                      where we started
                      our hike.

                      Prapanna

                    • Barbara Karagosian
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 27, 2008
                        Would you recommend starting at North or South Lake, due to trail
                        conditions? Barbara

                        _____

                        We parked at South Lake and got a ride to the North Lake Trailhead
                        where we started
                        our hike.

                        Prapanna

                        On Jan 27, 2008, at 9:02 PM, Barbara Karagosian wrote:

                        > Prapanna - did you go in at North Lake and are you suggesting we go
                        > in at
                        > South Lake, or vice versa! I got confused. Thanks, Barbara
                        >
                        > _____
                        >
                        > From: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
                        yahoogroups.com

                      • Prapanna Smith
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 28, 2008
                          Starting at North Lake and doing the loop counterclockwise to South
                          Lake.