Re: Current Conditions JMT between Bishop Pass (Le Conte) and Kersarge Pass

  • Terry
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2011
      Just got back today from Rae Lakes via Kearsarge and Glenn pass. Got pinned down by a lightning storm for 2 hours below Glenn at 11am a couple days ago. Crazy weather past few days but seems to be stabilizing. Anyway Glenn is easy now with a few well trampled snow crossings on the north side. Kearsarge totally snow free. Trail crews have cleared all trail between these points and trail conditions were great. Only ran into 1 southbound JMT group on our 4 day trip. Saw a few northbount pct stragglers and some Northbound jmt hikers just starting out. The guys coming southbound had started 21 days ago from glacier point. They said the snow travel was difficult. Muir was still about 5 miles of continuous snow with difficult route finding. They also said Mather was dangerous and that the north side for them involved a 1000 food accent on a very steep snow field. The good news is they said all the stream crossings were good with some common sense and nothing deeper than mid thigh.