South Lake entry reservation

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 26, 2008
      I'm planning a South lake trailhead entry in early August, hiking round Dusy
      basin, Le Conte, Muir Pass, Evolution, Piute creek and out at North Lake. I
      know I can get a reservation 6 months ahead. does anyone know if it's best
      to be on the phone to the reservation desk at 8am the first day possible to
      call in, or is it better to send in an application? I'm used to dealing
      with reservations at Tuolumne, but not other stations. Thanks so much -
      Barbara

    • Kevin Aston
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 26, 2008
        We got ours this week for a July 7th entry. I doupt you will have to
        fight for permits. The tougher ones to get are for coming out of the
        portal, and they are not bad. Don't panic.
        Have fun
        Kevin Aston

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian"
        <barbara@...> wrote:

        > I'm planning a South lake trailhead entry in early August, hiking
        round Dusy
        > basin, Le Conte, Muir Pass, Evolution, Piute creek and out at North
        Lake. I
        > know I can get a reservation 6 months ahead. does anyone know if
        it's best
        > to be on the phone to the reservation desk at 8am the first day
        possible to
        > call in, or is it better to send in an application? I'm used to
        dealing
        > with reservations at Tuolumne, but not other stations. Thanks so
        much -
        > Barbara

      • Barbara Karagosian
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 26, 2008
          Thanks Kevin - B

          _____

          --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
          <barbara@...> wrote:

          > I'm planning a South lake trailhead entry in early August, hiking
          round Dusy
          > basin, Le Conte, Muir Pass, Evolution, Piute creek and out at North
          Lake. I
          > know I can get a reservation 6 months ahead. does anyone know if
          it's best
          > to be on the phone to the reservation desk at 8am the first day
          possible to
          > call in, or is it better to send in an application? I'm used to
          dealing
          > with reservations at Tuolumne, but not other stations. Thanks so
          much -
          > Barbara

        • Prapanna Smith
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 26, 2008
            Barbara,

            I did that hike last year.

            I would strongly urge you to do that hike in the other direction.
            The trail between
            Hutchinson Meadow and the bridge crossing at the boundary of the
            Kings Canyon
            Park is in very poor condition. You will enjoy hiking down it much
            more than hiking
            up it. You should be able to get a permit the day of the hike, or
            get a reservation
            well in advance.

            Prapanna

            On Jan 26, 2008, at 11:41 AM, Barbara Karagosian wrote:

            > I'm planning a South lake trailhead entry in early August, hiking
            > round Dusy
            > basin, Le Conte, Muir Pass, Evolution, Piute creek and out at North
            > Lake. I
            > know I can get a reservation 6 months ahead. does anyone know if
            > it's best
            > to be on the phone to the reservation desk at 8am the first day
            > possible to
            > call in, or is it better to send in an application? I'm used to
            > dealing
            > with reservations at Tuolumne, but not other stations. Thanks so
            > much -
            > Barbara

          • Barbara Karagosian
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 27, 2008
              Hi Prapanna - thanks so much for the advice, which I will definitely take!
              Barbara

              _____

              I would strongly urge you to do that hike in the other direction.
              The trail between
              Hutchinson Meadow and the bridge crossing at the boundary of the
              Kings Canyon
              Park is in very poor condition. You will enjoy hiking down it much
              more than hiking
              up it. You should be able to get a permit the day of the hike, or
              get a reservation
              well in advance.

              Prapanna

              On Jan 26, 2008, at 11:41 AM, Barbara Karagosian wrote:

              > I'm planning a South lake trailhead entry in early August, hiking
              > round Dusy
              > basin, Le Conte, Muir Pass, Evolution, Piute creek and out at North
              > Lake. I
              > know I can get a reservation 6 months ahead. does anyone know if
              > it's best
              > to be on the phone to the reservation desk at 8am the first day
              > possible to
              > call in, or is it better to send in an application? I'm used to
              > dealing
              > with reservations at Tuolumne, but not other stations. Thanks so
              > much -
              > Barbara

            • clairehiker
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 27, 2008
                I'm wondering how you describe "poor condition." Was the trail rocky, not easy to find, of
                steep elevation? I was planning to do the south lake-north lake trip but may also reverse
                my direction on your advice. Did you camp at North Lake the night before you started?
                How far is the camp from the trailhead? Does there seem to be adequate traihead parking?

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...> wrote:

                > Barbara,
                >
                > I did that hike last year.
                >
                > I would strongly urge you to do that hike in the other direction.
                > The trail between
                > Hutchinson Meadow and the bridge crossing at the boundary of the
                > Kings Canyon
                > Park is in very poor condition. You will enjoy hiking down it much
                > more than hiking
                > up it. You should be able to get a permit the day of the hike, or
                > get a reservation
                > well in advance.
                >
                > Prapanna
                >
                > On Jan 26, 2008, at 11:41 AM, Barbara Karagosian wrote:
                >
                > > I'm planning a South lake trailhead entry in early August, hiking
                > > round Dusy
                > > basin, Le Conte, Muir Pass, Evolution, Piute creek and out at North
                > > Lake. I
                > > know I can get a reservation 6 months ahead. does anyone know if
                > > it's best
                > > to be on the phone to the reservation desk at 8am the first day
                > > possible to
                > > call in, or is it better to send in an application? I'm used to
                > > dealing
                > > with reservations at Tuolumne, but not other stations. Thanks so
                > > much -
                > > Barbara

              • Prapanna Smith
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 27, 2008
                  The trail we are speaking of was unmaintained: very rocky, lots of
                  downed trees, with one
                  very big downed tree near about a half mile or a quarter mile from
                  the JMT junction. It was
                  probably the worst trail I have ever hiked over 25 years of treking
                  the Sierras.

                  We actually drove up from San Diego, got our permit, parked our truck
                  at South Lake, hitched
                  a ride to North Lake, and started the hike all in the same day. The
                  road to North Lake was
                  quite narrow and there is no parking at the North Lake Trailhead
                  campgrounds. If you park
                  at North Lake you have to park about a half mile or so from the
                  trailhead and then walk to it.
                  But then you have to hitch a ride from South Lake at the end of your
                  hike to get back to your
                  car. It's better to do the hitching before your hike rather than
                  after it.

                  Prapanna

                  On Jan 27, 2008, at 4:09 PM, clairehiker wrote:

                  > I'm wondering how you describe "poor condition." Was the trail
                  > rocky, not easy to find, of
                  > steep elevation? I was planning to do the south lake-north lake
                  > trip but may also reverse
                  > my direction on your advice. Did you camp at North Lake the night
                  > before you started?
                  > How far is the camp from the trailhead? Does there seem to be
                  > adequate traihead parking?
                  >
                  > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Barbara,
                  > >
                  > > I did that hike last year.
                  > >
                  > > I would strongly urge you to do that hike in the other direction.
                  > > The trail between
                  > > Hutchinson Meadow and the bridge crossing at the boundary of the
                  > > Kings Canyon
                  > > Park is in very poor condition. You will enjoy hiking down it much
                  > > more than hiking
                  > > up it. You should be able to get a permit the day of the hike, or
                  > > get a reservation
                  > > well in advance.
                  > >
                  > > Prapanna
                  > >
                  > > On Jan 26, 2008, at 11:41 AM, Barbara Karagosian wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > I'm planning a South lake trailhead entry in early August, hiking
                  > > > round Dusy
                  > > > basin, Le Conte, Muir Pass, Evolution, Piute creek and out at
                  > North
                  > > > Lake. I
                  > > > know I can get a reservation 6 months ahead. does anyone know if
                  > > > it's best
                  > > > to be on the phone to the reservation desk at 8am the first day
                  > > > possible to
                  > > > call in, or is it better to send in an application? I'm used to
                  > > > dealing
                  > > > with reservations at Tuolumne, but not other stations. Thanks so
                  > > > much -
                  > > > Barbara

                • clairehiker
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 27, 2008
                    Thank you for the specific info. Sounds like we will start at North Lake.
                    Claire

                  • Barbara Karagosian
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 27, 2008
                      Prapanna - did you go in at North Lake and are you suggesting we go in at
                      South Lake, or vice versa! I got confused. Thanks, Barbara

                      _____

                      Thank you for the specific info. Sounds like we will start at North Lake.
                      Claire

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
                      yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...> wrote:

                      > The trail we are speaking of was unmaintained: very rocky, lots of
                      > downed trees, with one
                      > very big downed tree near about a half mile or a quarter mile from
                      > the JMT junction. It was
                      > probably the worst trail I have ever hiked over 25 years of treking
                      > the Sierras.
                      >
                      > We actually drove up from San Diego, got our permit, parked our truck
                      > at South Lake, hitched
                      > a ride to North Lake, and started the hike all in the same day. The
                      > road to North Lake was
                      > quite narrow and there is no parking at the North Lake Trailhead
                      > campgrounds. If you park
                      > at North Lake you have to park about a half mile or so from the
                      > trailhead and then walk to it.
                      > But then you have to hitch a ride from South Lake at the end of your
                      > hike to get back to your
                      > car. It's better to do the hitching before your hike rather than
                      > after it.
                      >
                      > Prapanna
                      >
                      > On Jan 27, 2008, at 4:09 PM, clairehiker wrote:
                      >
                      > > I'm wondering how you describe "poor condition." Was the trail
                      > > rocky, not easy to find, of
                      > > steep elevation? I was planning to do the south lake-north lake
                      > > trip but may also reverse
                      > > my direction on your advice. Did you camp at North Lake the night
                      > > before you started?
                      > > How far is the camp from the trailhead? Does there seem to be
                      > > adequate traihead parking?
                      > >
                      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
                      yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Barbara,
                      > > >
                      > > > I did that hike last year.
                      > > >
                      > > > I would strongly urge you to do that hike in the other direction.
                      > > > The trail between
                      > > > Hutchinson Meadow and the bridge crossing at the boundary of the
                      > > > Kings Canyon
                      > > > Park is in very poor condition. You will enjoy hiking down it much
                      > > > more than hiking
                      > > > up it. You should be able to get a permit the day of the hike, or
                      > > > get a reservation
                      > > > well in advance.
                      > > >
                      > > > Prapanna

                      > > North

                    • Prapanna Smith
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 27, 2008
                        We parked at South Lake and got a ride to the North Lake Trailhead
                        where we started
                        our hike.

                        Prapanna

                      • Barbara Karagosian
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 27, 2008
                          Would you recommend starting at North or South Lake, due to trail
                          conditions? Barbara

                          _____

                          We parked at South Lake and got a ride to the North Lake Trailhead
                          where we started
                          our hike.

                          Prapanna

                          On Jan 27, 2008, at 9:02 PM, Barbara Karagosian wrote:

                          > Prapanna - did you go in at North Lake and are you suggesting we go
                          > in at
                          > South Lake, or vice versa! I got confused. Thanks, Barbara
                          >
                          > _____
                          >
                          > From: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
                          yahoogroups.com

                        • Prapanna Smith
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 28, 2008
                            Starting at North Lake and doing the loop counterclockwise to South
                            Lake.