Check-in/OK message from Mickye SPOT Messenger

  • mickyeadams@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
      Mickye
      Latitude:37.76211
      Longitude:-119.45277
      GPS location Date/Time:08/01/2011 13:03:53 PDT

      Message:All is well in the Range of Light.

      Click the link below to see where I am located.
      http://fms.ws/5YYLo/37.76211N/119.45277W

      If the above link does not work, try this link:
      http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=37.76211,-119.45277&ll=37.76211,-119.45277&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

      Mickye

      You have received this message because Mickye has added you to their SPOT contact list.

      Every day is an Adventure. Share Yours.
      http://www.findmespot.com
    • mickyeadams@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
        Mickye
        Latitude:37.82258
        Longitude:-119.41811
        GPS location Date/Time:08/01/2011 17:51:10 PDT

        Message:All is well in the Range of Light.

        Click the link below to see where I am located.
        http://fms.ws/5YiNZ/37.82258N/119.41811W

        If the above link does not work, try this link:
        http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=37.82258,-119.41811&ll=37.82258,-119.41811&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
          This seems like a bad idea. If everyone auto forwards his Spot OK messages to the group we would have serious overload. In Roleigh's absence I am going to make a decision to put mikye on moderated status and block these. Please let me know if you think I am being high handed

          John Ladd (comoderator)

          On Monday, August 1, 2011,  <mickyeadams@...> wrote:

          > Mickye
          > Latitude:37.82258
          > Longitude:-119.41811
          > GPS location Date/Time:08/01/2011 17:51:10 PDT
          >
          > Message:All is well in the Range of Light.
          >
          > Click the link below to see where I am located.
          > http://fms.ws/5YiNZ/37.82258N/119.41811W
          >
          > If the above link does not work, try this link:
          > 37.82258,-119.41811 <http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=37.82258,-119.41811&ll=37.82258,-119.41811&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1>
          >
          > Mickye
          >
          > You have received this message because Mickye has added you to their SPOT contact list.
          >
          > Every day is an Adventure. Share Yours.
          > http://www.findmespot.com

        • Barbara Karagosian
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
            Hi John,
            So far this is the only one we are getting, I believe, so could we keep this one going?  If we get inundated, then maybe put them on moderated status?  Thanks,

            Barbara
            Typos by iPad

            On Aug 1, 2011, at 8:09 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:

            This seems like a bad idea. If everyone auto forwards his Spot OK messages to the group we would have serious overload. In Roleigh's absence I am going to make a decision to put mikye on moderated status and block these. Please let me know if you think I am being high handed

            John Ladd (comoderator)

            On Monday, August 1, 2011,  <mickyeadams@...> wrote:

            > Mickye
            > Latitude:37.82258
            > Longitude:-119.41811
            > GPS location Date/Time:08/01/2011 17:51:10 PDT
            >
            > Message:All is well in the Range of Light.
            >
            > Click the link below to see where I am located.
            > http://fms.ws/5YiNZ/37.82258N/119.41811W
            >
            > If the above link does not work, try this link:
            > 37.82258,-119.41811 <http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=37.82258,-119.41811&ll=37.82258,-119.41811&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1>
            >
            > Mickye
            >
            > You have received this message because Mickye has added you to their SPOT contact list.
            >
            > Every day is an Adventure. Share Yours.
            > http://www.findmespot.com

          • bksldr7
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
              I agree. SPOT messages should go to relatives or friends not continuously to a listserv.
              One is interesting but continuous messages will really jam things up.

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
                Anyone else have an opinion? Seems to me that a member could give the group access to her Spot tracking page, but pushing multiple Spot reports per day to the whole group seems too much.

                I am happy to forward her Spot messages to any members of the Group who express an interest to me off board. Just email a request for this to John add@... and I will forward them to you rather than have them post to the board as a whole

                John Ladd

                On Monday, August 1, 2011, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:

                > Hi John,
                > So far this is the only one we are getting, I believe, so could we keep this one going?  If we get inundated, then maybe put them on moderated status?  Thanks,
                >
                > Barbara
                > Typos by iPad
                > On Aug 1, 2011, at 8:09 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:
                >

                > This seems like a bad idea. If everyone auto forwards his Spot OK messages to the group we would have serious overload. In Roleigh's absence I am going to make a decision to put mikye on moderated status and block these. Please let me know if you think I am being high handed
                >
                > John Ladd (comoderator)
                >
                > On Monday, August 1, 2011,  < <mickyeadams@...>mickyeadams@...> wrote:
                >>

                >> Mickye
                >> Latitude:37.82258
                >> Longitude:-119.41811
                >> GPS location Date/Time:08/01/2011 17:51:10 PDT
                >>
                >> Message:All is well in the Range of Light.
                >>
                >> Click the link below to see where I am located.
                >> <http://fms.ws/5YiNZ/37.82258N/119.41811W>http://fms.ws/5YiNZ/37.82258N/119.41811W
                >>
                >> If the above link does not work, try this link:
                >> 37.82258,-119.41811 < <http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=37.82258,-119.41811&ll=37.82258,-119.41811&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1>37.82258,-119.41811 <http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=37.82258,-119.41811&ll=37.82258,-119.41811&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1>>
                >>
                >> Mickye
                >>
                >> You have received this message because Mickye has added you to their SPOT contact list.
                >>
                >> Every day is an Adventure. Share Yours.
                >> <http://www.findmespot.com>http://www.findmespot.com
                >>

                > --
                > John Curran Ladd
                > 1616 Castro Street
                > San Francisco, CA  94114-3707
                > 415-648-9279 <tel:415-648-9279>

              • targetdoggmechanic
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
                  I thought it was neat to see these...not all of us carry spots anyways. I like seeing everyone's daily progress, maybe there's a way to give the group members access to a special spot website where we can follow along instead. I know Peter B. Did this but he has his own site. I can't remember if spot has a "web only" option.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
                    Maybe I am getting overzealous here but Spot does give an option to share an URL with friends or the entire group that allows all with an interest to follow along. Several members have done that and I have followed these with interest. I like that idea but not so much this approach since it adds to inbox clutter for everyone, not just those with an interest. Or Spot updates could be sent to johnmuirtrail sidebar rather than to the whole group. Or mickye could add some trail conditions info to the bare Spot message. I just worry about clutter when we have so many members

                    John

                    On Monday, August 1, 2011, targetdoggmechanic <targetdoggmechanic@...> wrote:

                    > I thought it was neat to see these...not all of us carry spots anyways. I like seeing everyone's daily progress, maybe there's a way to give the group members access to a special spot website where we can follow along instead. I know Peter B. Did this but he has his own site. I can't remember if spot has a "web only" option.
                    >
                    > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com <johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> Hi John,
                    >> So far this is the only one we are getting, I believe, so could we keep this one going? If we get inundated, then maybe put them on moderated status? Thanks,
                    >>
                    >> Barbara
                    >> Typos by iPad
                    >>
                    >> On Aug 1, 2011, at 8:09 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> > This seems like a bad idea. If everyone auto forwards his Spot OK messages to the group we would have serious overload. In Roleigh's absence I am going to make a decision to put mikye on moderated status and block these. Please let me know if you think I am being high handed
                    >> >
                    >> > John Ladd (comoderator)

                    >> > --
                    >> > John Curran Ladd
                    >> > 1616 Castro Street
                    >> > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
                    >> > 415-648-9279 <tel:415-648-9279> <tel:415-648-9279 <tel:415-648-9279>>

                  • Barbara Karagosian
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011

                      I understand your concern – but Mickeye can’t change the options now cos he is on the trail, so can we let it be?  Thanks, Barbara

                      href="http://40yahoogroups.com">40yahoogroups.com>, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:

                      >> Hi John,
                      >> So far this is the only one we are getting, I believe, so could we
                      keep this one going? If we get inundated, then maybe put them on moderated status? Thanks,

                      >> Barbara
                      >> Typos by iPad
                      >>
                      >> On Aug 1, 2011, at 8:09 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> > This seems like a bad idea. If everyone auto forwards his Spot OK
                      messages to the group we would have serious overload. In Roleigh's absence I am going to make a decision to put mikye on moderated status and block these. Please let me know if you think I am being high handed

                      >> > John Ladd (comoderator)

                      w:st="on">Range of Light .

                      <37.82258,-119.41811 <37.82258,-119.41811 <http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=37.82258,-119.41811&ll=37.82258,-119.41811&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1>>>

                      >> > --
                      >> > John Curran Ladd
                      >> > 1616 Castro Street
                      >> > San Francisco ,
                      CA 94114-3707

                      415-648-9279 <tel:415-648-9279> <tel:415-648-9279 <tel:415-648-9279>>

                      San Francisco , CA   94114-3707
                      415-648-9279

                    • robert shattuck
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
                        "Please let me know if you think I am being high handed"

                        Getting one of these (spots) once a week would be fine, but not every five feet or three hours . . . and yeah, I think it's fine if you're a parent or partner and you want to get them every day, but really . . . not to mention that if you are concerned then you really don't need to be distracted––it's almost like, "Crying wolf"  . . . by the time someone sends the message that really matters, you've no doubt deleted it before opening it.

                        And not to be harsh, but . . .

                        You turn a device that's designed to perhaps save your life into a sort of game . . . I'm here . . . I'm here . . .

                        Sidebar or . . . we could create a new facebook page just for people all over the world to update us with their spots . . . oh, wait, is that twitter?

                        Put the gizmo's down and look around . . .

                        BOB

                      • Kurt Herzog
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 2, 2011
                          Yes, dump the SPOT messages. Talk about clutter! Those
                          interested can follow along on the SPOT pages.
                          --
                          Kurt Herzog

                          Grants Pass, Oregon