Re: Hand Gun ???

  • Aaron Foster
    Message 1 of 34 , Aug 1, 2011
      Gun guy,

      I can understand your concern about bears but I assure you there is nothing to worry about.  They are like really big raccoons.  Use a bear canister for all food items, don't sleep next to it and you will be fine.  I'd also suggest not sleeping between the trail and the canister as the bears tend to walk the trails at night, will smell the food and encounter you on their way to the canister, but even that is nothing to worry about.  Last year on the JMT I had to stop in Lyell Canyon for the night, where I would normally prefer not to camp, and woke literally nose to nose with a bear.  I sat up, started yelling at it, it left.  No harm, no foul.

      Bottom line is, unless you do something incredibly foolish, a black bear wants absolutely nothing to do with you.

      Carrying a gun is unnecessary, dangerous, and perhaps most of all, HEAVY and essentially useless weight.  Go light, young man.  The only reason I'm up to 12.5 pounds as a base weight this year is because I've got a 24 oz camera, but at least I'm going to get something that makes carrying it worthwhile.  The only thing a gun will get you is a heavier pack.

      Enjoy the trail.

      Aaron Foster
      www.boofinch.com

    • nxs_310