Back From Donnahue Pass - Trip Report

  • daxcastro
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2011
      We approached from the Rush Creek Trailhead. We used the upper trail that went along Gem and Waugh. Not many water crossings to speak of. They all had logs or rocks to use. The snow started after the 1000ft. climb just after the trail fork where you can go left to Thousand Island Lakes or right to Donnahue Pass. Climbed the switchbacks to the base of Donnahue but arrived at 3:15pm and the snow was just to slushy.

      Best to do this one in the morning. So we camped at a nice spot on grass between rocks. No wind really. Then we started up the next day at 7:15 and summitted at 10:30am. Was super. The backside (yosemite side) was much steeper but still passable. Alllll snow.. but only about a foot or so of sinking. Post-holed two times and slid a bit from the slush, but no snow shoes are necessary. Might want to use some gaiters but that would be about it.

      Just make sure you hit it in the morning.

      We hiked about 30-35 miles (over 5 days) from Silver Lake to Tuolumne Meadows. The signs with the milages sure seemed to lie. Would be nice to know exactly how far we really hiked. If anyone knows accurate milage from the Rush Creek Trailhead to the Ranger Station in Tuolumne that would be super!

      Hope the info helps anyone going up.

      Dax