Memories Day 3

  • hmdsierra
    Message 1 of 473 , Aug 3, 1999
      Day 3 Aug 3, 1982<br>Having lived through the
      bear visit we awoke the next morning a little groggy
      but glad to see the sun. We were soon on our way to
      Tuolumne Mdws on an appreciated downhill. Lembert Dome
      soon came into view and we came to the road. We
      decided to save the Soda Springs part for another time
      and walked down the road to the store. I had intended
      to get a piece of cardboard to cover the hole in my
      pack but that idea was lost in the blur of Ding Dongs,
      ice cream and candy bars. After all, we had been out
      over 50 hours. Fortunately, a little ways up the trail
      a lady gave me a piece of nylon patch. We also came
      across our first speed fanatic. A couple of guys came
      jogging up the trail and announced; so and so, president
      of Ultralite Corp. running the trail 5 days out of
      Whitney. We still had 22 days left to get there. We no
      doubt would be moving a lot slower. <br>Our intention
      had been to stop near Kuna Ck for the day. However, I
      caught up to Gary at the Vogelsang Pass turnoff. Thgere
      was a bear cable there so it seemed like a good place
      to camp after last night. Owen soon came along,
      checked the trail junction for our tracks and started on
      until I called to him. The entertainment that afternoon
      was provided by a high school group from Carmel. They
      looked over the cable arrangement, even climbing a tree
      on one end several times. Having never
      counter-balanced we carefully observed what they did. When it was
      time to hang our food we threw a rope over the cable,
      hoisted one bag to the top and marked the highest point
      we could reach. Lowering the bag down we tied a
      small loop in the rope at that point hoisted the first
      bag back up tied the second bag on and evened them
      out. It probably took us 2 minutes and our bags were 2
      to 3 feet higher that any others, The leader of the
      Carmel group was right over to ask us how we got them so
      high and then played with theirs again. I put our
      packs at the top of a smaller tree because I though all
      the Kool-Aid, bacon grease etc spilled in it would
      have the bear chewing the fabric. Soon after dark a
      bear was spotted in a nearby camp. We slept soundly
      knowing that about a dozen high school kids were on the
      alert.
    • tiocampo
      Message 473 of 473 , Feb 24, 2002