Re: Barefoot shoes

  • ndi_franco11
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 30 3:06 PM
      I'm a huge proponent of barefoot or minimal shoes.

      I have the Vibrams 5 finger Eos and Trek as well as the New Balance ones.

      The Eos are strictly pavement running, the Treks are no good for hiking and I would use on light pack for running.

      I like the New Balance and I find I can hike in them with the pack (roughly 20lbs) for up to 8 miles. They actually do pretty well for being a minimal sole on rocky terrain. I do find, my feet are tired at the end but these take getting used to and you need time build up the endurance in your feet. I run regularly in Vibrams so I'm not too bad.

      That being said, I intend to use a light boot for hiking on the trail and the New Balance when I'm doing my water crossing. The bottom line, there is nothing a minimal shoe is going to do if you stub your toe on a rock - which we all know happens from time to time. The boot saves it every time.

      If you do decide to go minimal - just remember to build a little more each day with the walking/hiking and whatever weight your carrying to build up the endurance.

      Good luck.