Storm over Whitney

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2011
    • 1 Attachment
    • 123 KB
    Taken 20 minutes ago from Lone Pine. Black skies all along the Sierras as well as to the east. Saw numerous lightning strikes, including one to Whitney (peak towards the right of the photo). Yikes!
  • roadndirt
    Message 2 of 2 , Jul 30, 2011
      Yikes is right! It was crazy up there! I was up at Lone Pine Lake when this storm came in. Reports showed that it wasn't expected until late afternoon. We got down to the Portal about 2:30 and I think we just managed to escape the worst part of the storm. There were huge boulders that had fallen onto the road. The portal store was hit by lightning and the generator was fried. SAR was up rescuing hikers who were trapped by the flash flooding on the trail. I heard rescue choppers picked up a few hikers with hypothermia. I talked to a kid who was up at Outpost Camp and he said the water came in so fast and flooded the whole area so they just headed down the trail and left their tents and gear. We were supposed to take off for the summit at 3am this morning but reports of the road being closed,the trails being washed out, overflowing streams,and the impending storm looming made us reconsider. As of 9am this morning they were not allowing any cars up to the portal. The mountain will be there to climb another day!