Re: repackaging freeze dried meals

  • sanfran_rwood
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 29, 2011
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "whegardt" <bill@...> wrote:
      > Those of you who bring freeze-dried meals like Mountain House -
      > Do you repackage them in Ziploc bags?

      Absolutely. I usually buy four-packs when they're available in flavors I like, and usually two-packs when not. Then I use a Sharpie on a freezer bag with basic details: what kind of meal, how much water to add, and how long to set (haven't had any problem with the ink coming off). I'm just boiling water these days — nothing to clean, less gear to carry.

      > I plan to, but I'm wondering whether to repackage my resupply meals before I ship them or wait until I pick them up on the trail and then open the foil pouches and place them in Ziplocs.

      Since I'm repackaging larger packages anyway, I don't have that debate, but I'd still encourage getting it out of the way at home. Doing all the busywork while the trail beckons would be lousy; I think it's a nice way of passing an evening (or more than one for the JMT) at the kitchen table with some tunes on, pondering where I might be eating this "Pesto Salmon Pasta" (that one is Backpacker's Pantry).

      One of the other reasons I repackage is that I sometimes adjust my serving size. I'm lazy on the trail and usually won't end up eating anything besides that entree, so I repackage the four-serving packs into three servings.