Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [John Muir Trail] Weather in September?

Expand Messages
  • Paul England
    Hey there TurboDog! I ve done the JMT in mid-September, and lots of backpacking in the Sierra through late October. It s my favorite time of the year.
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 11, 2008
    View Source
    • 0 Attachment
      Hey there TurboDog! I've done the JMT in mid-September, and lots of backpacking in the Sierra through late October. It's my favorite time of the year. Expect chilly nights - it got down to about 20 degrees one night on our trip. But the days are perfect, hi temps in the low 60s, clear weather and NO mosquitos!! It did snow one day - about an inch, which melted in an hour. Just keep an eye on the weather and be aware of escape routes to lower elevations along the way. That will be a wonderful time of year to go.
      paul (pskihiker)

      bc00per67 <bcooper67@...> wrote:
      Hey everyone
      I'm new to the group and glad to be here.
      I'm in the process of planning a N-S thru-hike for Sept 20-29 and
      would like to know what the normal weather conditions are on the trail
      this time of year.
      Thanks in advance
      TurboDog







      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • thomas taylor
      The only negative about that time of the year is that the water doesn t taste as good. ... Best regards, Thomas Thomas Taylor tgtaylor7@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 11, 2008
      View Source
      • 0 Attachment
        The only negative about that time of the year is that
        the water doesn't taste as good.


        > bc00per67 <bcooper67@...> wrote:
        > Hey everyone
        > I'm new to the group and glad to be here.
        > I'm in the process of planning a N-S thru-hike for
        > Sept 20-29 and
        > would like to know what the normal weather
        > conditions are on the trail
        > this time of year.
        > Thanks in advance
        > TurboDog

        >
        >
        >
        >
        > [Non-text portions of this message have been
        > removed]
        >
        >


        Best regards,

        Thomas

        Thomas Taylor
        tgtaylor7@...
        http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
      • hmdsierra
        It should be quite good. I ve often gone in October and though cold at night we usually had sunny days. Only got snow a couple times out of several years
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 12, 2008
        View Source
        • 0 Attachment
          It should be quite good. I've often gone in October and though cold
          at night we usually had sunny days. Only got snow a couple times out
          of several years going then. Snow is always a possibility but should
          be short lived. We usually had a storm come in the first part of
          October but almost always went arounde the second week. One of the
          times we had snow was when we went the first week and were camped at
          Kern Hot Spring. It snowed during the night and melted off before
          noon the following day and the following were all sunny days.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "bc00per67" <bcooper67@...> wrote:
          >
          > Hey everyone
          > I'm new to the group and glad to be here.
          > I'm in the process of planning a N-S thru-hike for Sept 20-29 and
          > would like to know what the normal weather conditions are on the trail
          > this time of year.
          > Thanks in advance
          > TurboDog
          >
        • bc00per67
          Thanks for all of the great info. The 20degree lows concern me a bit because I am planning on getting by with a Marmot Atom bag, which is rated at 40 degrees.
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 14, 2008
          View Source
          • 0 Attachment
            Thanks for all of the great info. The 20degree lows concern me a bit
            because I am planning on getting by with a Marmot Atom bag, which is
            rated at 40 degrees. With silk tops/bottoms and another layer of
            capilene, I should be fine though. If we start getting cold early in
            the morning, we'll get up and start hiking and nap later in the day.
            I'd rather nap somewhere in the warm sun anyway.

            The comment on the water not tasting as good? Is this because there
            is not as much snow melt at this time of year?

            TurboDog


            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, hmdsierra <no_reply@...> wrote:
            >
            > It should be quite good. I've often gone in October and though cold
            > at night we usually had sunny days. Only got snow a couple times
            out
            > of several years going then. Snow is always a possibility but
            should
            > be short lived. We usually had a storm come in the first part of
            > October but almost always went arounde the second week. One of the
            > times we had snow was when we went the first week and were camped at
            > Kern Hot Spring. It snowed during the night and melted off before
            > noon the following day and the following were all sunny days.
            >
            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "bc00per67" <bcooper67@>
            wrote:
            > >
            > > Hey everyone
            > > I'm new to the group and glad to be here.
            > > I'm in the process of planning a N-S thru-hike for Sept 20-29 and
            > > would like to know what the normal weather conditions are on the
            trail
            > > this time of year.
            > > Thanks in advance
            > > TurboDog
            > >
            >
          • thomas taylor
            ... That s right TurboDog. The snow has melted and all the streams are running low and slow so the water doesn t taste as good as it does late spring/early
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 14, 2008
            View Source
            • 0 Attachment
              --- bc00per67 <bcooper67@...> wrote:

              > The comment on the water not tasting as good? Is
              > this because there
              > is not as much snow melt at this time of year?
              >
              > TurboDog
              >
              That's right TurboDog. The snow has melted and all the
              streams are running low and slow so the water doesn't
              taste as good as it does late spring/early summer. On
              the flip side, though, you won't have to worry about
              stream crossing. But on the flip side of that it
              won't be as scenic as it would be when the peaks and
              passes have snow.

              Either way, you're going to have a great trip!
              Thomas

              Best regards,

              Thomas

              Thomas Taylor
              tgtaylor7@...
              http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
            • hmdsierra
              Scenic is relative. I enjoy being in the mountains early when there is still snow on the peaks and that can sometimes be in late July. Fall, however, has
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 15, 2008
              View Source
              • 0 Attachment
                "Scenic" is relative. I enjoy being in the mountains early when there
                is still snow on the peaks and that can sometimes be in late July.
                Fall, however, has it's own beauty. In mid September there might be
                some fall color to be found, tho we usually found it in mid October.
                I always enjoy the Fall because of the promise of Winter in the air
                and it is a quiter more reflective season.

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:
                >
                >
                > --- bc00per67 <bcooper67@...> wrote:
                >
                > > The comment on the water not tasting as good? Is
                > > this because there
                > > is not as much snow melt at this time of year?
                > >
                > > TurboDog
                > >
                > That's right TurboDog. The snow has melted and all the
                > streams are running low and slow so the water doesn't
                > taste as good as it does late spring/early summer. On
                > the flip side, though, you won't have to worry about
                > stream crossing. But on the flip side of that it
                > won't be as scenic as it would be when the peaks and
                > passes have snow.
                >
                > Either way, you're going to have a great trip!
                > Thomas
                >
                > Best regards,
                >
                > Thomas
                >
                > Thomas Taylor
                > tgtaylor7@...
                > http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
                >
              • thomas taylor
                Well said hmdsierra. ... Best regards, Thomas Thomas Taylor tgtaylor7@yahoo.com http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 16, 2008
                View Source
                • 0 Attachment
                  Well said hmdsierra.


                  --- hmdsierra <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  > "Scenic" is relative. I enjoy being in the
                  > mountains early when there
                  > is still snow on the peaks and that can sometimes be
                  > in late July.
                  > Fall, however, has it's own beauty. In mid
                  > September there might be
                  > some fall color to be found, tho we usually found it
                  > in mid October.
                  > I always enjoy the Fall because of the promise of
                  > Winter in the air
                  > and it is a quiter more reflective season.


                  Best regards,

                  Thomas

                  Thomas Taylor
                  tgtaylor7@...
                  http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.