Weather in September?

  • bc00per67
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 11, 2008
      Hey everyone
      I'm new to the group and glad to be here.
      I'm in the process of planning a N-S thru-hike for Sept 20-29 and
      would like to know what the normal weather conditions are on the trail
      this time of year.
      Thanks in advance
      TurboDog
    • Paul England

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 11, 2008
          The only negative about that time of the year is that
          the water doesn't taste as good.

          > bc00per67 <bcooper67@...> wrote:
          > Hey everyone
          > I'm new to the group and glad to be here.
          > I'm in the process of planning a N-S thru-hike for
          > Sept 20-29 and
          > would like to know what the normal weather
          > conditions are on the trail
          > this time of year.
          > Thanks in advance
          > TurboDog

          > removed]

          Best regards,

          Thomas

          Thomas Taylor
          tgtaylor7@...
          http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
        • hmdsierra
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 12, 2008
            It should be quite good. I've often gone in October and though cold
            at night we usually had sunny days. Only got snow a couple times out
            of several years going then. Snow is always a possibility but should
            be short lived. We usually had a storm come in the first part of
            October but almost always went arounde the second week. One of the
            times we had snow was when we went the first week and were camped at
            Kern Hot Spring. It snowed during the night and melted off before
            noon the following day and the following were all sunny days.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "bc00per67" <bcooper67@...> wrote:

            > Hey everyone
            > I'm new to the group and glad to be here.
            > I'm in the process of planning a N-S thru-hike for Sept 20-29 and
            > would like to know what the normal weather conditions are on the trail
            > this time of year.
            > Thanks in advance
            > TurboDog

          • bc00per67
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 14, 2008
              Thanks for all of the great info. The 20degree lows concern me a bit
              because I am planning on getting by with a Marmot Atom bag, which is
              rated at 40 degrees. With silk tops/bottoms and another layer of
              capilene, I should be fine though. If we start getting cold early in
              the morning, we'll get up and start hiking and nap later in the day.
              I'd rather nap somewhere in the warm sun anyway.

              The comment on the water not tasting as good? Is this because there
              is not as much snow melt at this time of year?

              TurboDog

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, hmdsierra <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > It should be quite good. I've often gone in October and though cold
              > at night we usually had sunny days. Only got snow a couple times
              out
              > of several years going then. Snow is always a possibility but
              should
              > be short lived. We usually had a storm come in the first part of
              > October but almost always went arounde the second week. One of the
              > times we had snow was when we went the first week and were camped at
              > Kern Hot Spring. It snowed during the night and melted off before
              > noon the following day and the following were all sunny days.
              >
              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "bc00per67" <bcooper67@>
              wrote:

              > > Hey everyone
              > > I'm new to the group and glad to be here.
              > > I'm in the process of planning a N-S thru-hike for Sept 20-29 and
              > > would like to know what the normal weather conditions are on the
              trail
              > > this time of year.
              > > Thanks in advance
              > > TurboDog

            • thomas taylor
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 14, 2008
                --- bc00per67 <bcooper67@...> wrote:

                > The comment on the water not tasting as good? Is
                > this because there
                > is not as much snow melt at this time of year?
                >
                > TurboDog

                That's right TurboDog. The snow has melted and all the
                streams are running low and slow so the water doesn't
                taste as good as it does late spring/early summer. On
                the flip side, though, you won't have to worry about
                stream crossing. But on the flip side of that it
                won't be as scenic as it would be when the peaks and
                passes have snow.

                Either way, you're going to have a great trip!
                Thomas

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 15, 2008
                  "Scenic" is relative. I enjoy being in the mountains early when there
                  is still snow on the peaks and that can sometimes be in late July.
                  Fall, however, has it's own beauty. In mid September there might be
                  some fall color to be found, tho we usually found it in mid October.
                  I always enjoy the Fall because of the promise of Winter in the air
                  and it is a quiter more reflective season.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 16, 2008
                    Well said hmdsierra.