Sir Edmund Hillary

  • j_mccrain
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2008
      I just found out that Sir Edmund Hillary died today at the age of 88.

      I was extremely priviledged to meet Sir Edmund at his home in
      Auckland, New Zealand, in July of 2004. In his always un-assuming
      nature, he quickly told me to call him "Ed." I said "No Sir. I'll
      call you Sir Edmund." He laughed and said that a lot of people do
      that!

      During my brief time with him, he treated me like an old friend. We
      drank tea and talked about mountaineering, and also about the state
      of the environment in New Zealand. I only asked him one question
      about his famous climb of Mt. Everest. I asked him where he got that
      blue-striped hat that he wore. Before I could get the camera turned
      on, and with no voice recorder running, he said: "I don't think I
      have ever told anyone this, but my sister made that hat for me three
      days before we left for Nepal."

      Shortly after, it was time for me to leave. I had a picture taken
      with him on his back porch, he signed a couple of items for me, and I
      was gone.

      I had spent six months in New Zealand. I saw many wonderous things,
      met several famous people and had my picture taken with them, too.
      But my visit with Sir Edmund remains as one of my most cherished
      memories.

      Cheers, Ed!

      Jim McCrain

      You can see a small portion of the interview Sir Edmund gave me at
      www.TheClimb.com.