Re: [John Muir Trail] Summer 2008 - South to North

  • j_mccrain
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 2008
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...>
      wrote:

      > Can you share a little info about the photo project
      > including the equiptment you are planning to use and
      > the logistics?

      Thomas,

      I don't want to say too much about the project right now, as I know
      that there are a couple of other people working on similar ones. I
      don't want to give the "competition" too much information! Suffice
      it to say that it is an on-going project that I have been working on
      for 4 years, and it has the blessings of the National Forest
      Service. (Although it is not ENDORSED by the NFS. It is an
      independent project.) If all goes well, I will finish it by
      Christmas of next year.

      As for the logistics of the hike, I will be heading south to north to
      maintain continuity with previous work. I will be using a mule-
      packer to carry in supplies in the Rae Lakes region, and will
      resupply again at VVR and Red's Meadow. I hike about 9-10 miles a
      day, so that I can take a LOT of pictures. (Nearly 3,000 last
      summer!) This slow pace is why I take 28-29 days for the trip. I
      would like to start hiking in mid-July, but the dates are flexible.
      Of course, we will need to put in for the permits by early February.

      If you have any specific questions, please contact me off-list and
      I'll supply a phone number. You can see some of my other adventures
      at www.TheClimb.com.

      Cheers!

      Jim McCrain