Re: [John Muir Trail] Summer 2008 - South to North

  • thomas taylor
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 2008
      Hi Jim,

      Can you share a little info about the photo project
      including the equiptment you are planning to use and
      the logistics?

      Thomas
      --- j_mccrain <jim@...> wrote:

      > Howdy Folks!
      >
      > I am going to be hiking the JMT again in 2008 and am
      > looking for anyone
      > that wants to accompany me. I will be heading north
      > from Whitney,
      > starting sometime in mid-July. I have hiked the JMT
      > several times, and
      > just want a little company this time. (Several of
      > my trips have been
      > solo. Fun, but having other people along is good,
      > too.)
      >
      > I will be taking 4 weeks for the trail, as I am
      > working on a photo
      > project about the Trail.
      >
      > If you are interested, contact me off-list.
      >
      > Cheers!
      >
      > Jim McCrain
      > www.TheClimb.com

      Best regards,

      Thomas

      Thomas Taylor
      tgtaylor7@...
      http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
    • j_mccrain
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 9, 2008
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...>
        wrote:

        > Can you share a little info about the photo project
        > including the equiptment you are planning to use and
        > the logistics?

        Thomas,

        I don't want to say too much about the project right now, as I know
        that there are a couple of other people working on similar ones. I
        don't want to give the "competition" too much information! Suffice
        it to say that it is an on-going project that I have been working on
        for 4 years, and it has the blessings of the National Forest
        Service. (Although it is not ENDORSED by the NFS. It is an
        independent project.) If all goes well, I will finish it by
        Christmas of next year.

        As for the logistics of the hike, I will be heading south to north to
        maintain continuity with previous work. I will be using a mule-
        packer to carry in supplies in the Rae Lakes region, and will
        resupply again at VVR and Red's Meadow. I hike about 9-10 miles a
        day, so that I can take a LOT of pictures. (Nearly 3,000 last
        summer!) This slow pace is why I take 28-29 days for the trip. I
        would like to start hiking in mid-July, but the dates are flexible.
        Of course, we will need to put in for the permits by early February.

        If you have any specific questions, please contact me off-list and
        I'll supply a phone number. You can see some of my other adventures
        at www.TheClimb.com.

        Cheers!

        Jim McCrain