Summer 2008 - South to North

  • j_mccrain
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 2008
      Howdy Folks!

      I am going to be hiking the JMT again in 2008 and am looking for anyone
      that wants to accompany me. I will be heading north from Whitney,
      starting sometime in mid-July. I have hiked the JMT several times, and
      just want a little company this time. (Several of my trips have been
      solo. Fun, but having other people along is good, too.)

      I will be taking 4 weeks for the trail, as I am working on a photo
      project about the Trail.

      If you are interested, contact me off-list.

      Cheers!

      Jim McCrain
      www.TheClimb.com
    • thomas taylor
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 9, 2008
        Hi Jim,

        Can you share a little info about the photo project
        including the equiptment you are planning to use and
        the logistics?

        Thomas
        --- j_mccrain <jim@...> wrote:

        > Howdy Folks!
        >
        > I am going to be hiking the JMT again in 2008 and am
        > looking for anyone
        > that wants to accompany me. I will be heading north
        > from Whitney,
        > starting sometime in mid-July. I have hiked the JMT
        > several times, and
        > just want a little company this time. (Several of
        > my trips have been
        > solo. Fun, but having other people along is good,
        > too.)
        >
        > I will be taking 4 weeks for the trail, as I am
        > working on a photo
        > project about the Trail.
        >
        > If you are interested, contact me off-list.
        >
        > Cheers!
        >
        > Jim McCrain
        > www.TheClimb.com

        Best regards,

        Thomas

        Thomas Taylor
        tgtaylor7@...
        http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
      • j_mccrain
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 9, 2008
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...>
          wrote:

          > Can you share a little info about the photo project
          > including the equiptment you are planning to use and
          > the logistics?

          Thomas,

          I don't want to say too much about the project right now, as I know
          that there are a couple of other people working on similar ones. I
          don't want to give the "competition" too much information! Suffice
          it to say that it is an on-going project that I have been working on
          for 4 years, and it has the blessings of the National Forest
          Service. (Although it is not ENDORSED by the NFS. It is an
          independent project.) If all goes well, I will finish it by
          Christmas of next year.

          As for the logistics of the hike, I will be heading south to north to
          maintain continuity with previous work. I will be using a mule-
          packer to carry in supplies in the Rae Lakes region, and will
          resupply again at VVR and Red's Meadow. I hike about 9-10 miles a
          day, so that I can take a LOT of pictures. (Nearly 3,000 last
          summer!) This slow pace is why I take 28-29 days for the trip. I
          would like to start hiking in mid-July, but the dates are flexible.
          Of course, we will need to put in for the permits by early February.

          If you have any specific questions, please contact me off-list and
          I'll supply a phone number. You can see some of my other adventures
          at www.TheClimb.com.

          Cheers!

          Jim McCrain