Re: [John Muir Trail] questions re meeting friend at Bishop Pass/South Lake

  • Prapanna Smith
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2008
      I would suggest that she do on of the following sections:

      Tuloumne Meadows or Yosemite to Red's Meadow
      or
      Red's Meadow to Le Conte Canyon (she can hike out from there
      to South Lake in two days)

      I think the second option is best.

      Another possibility is that she hikes over Kearsarge Pass and
      you link up at Kearsarge Lakes and then she complete the hike
      with you. That would include Mt. Whitney, of course.

      Each of these options affords you a minimal side excursion on your
      part (unless you hike with her to South Lake).

      Prapanna

      On Jan 5, 2008, at 9:17 AM, N T wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > this is my first post to the group, as I'm seeking
      > some advice concerning a trip planned for this coming
      > summer.
      >
      > I'm planning on thru-hiking north to south, over
      > something like three weeks, and my girlfriend wants to
      > join me for part, but probably not all, of the trip.
      > (She can only get a couple weeks off work, and this
      > would be her first multiday hiking trip, other than
      > that involved in canoe tripping). Here's what I have
      > in mind:
      >
      > I hike north to south and then head down over Bishop
      > Pass to meet her at South Lake. (It would be great if
      > she could come up over Bishop Pass, to save me the 40
      > mile return trip from the JMT junction, but I figure
      > that (i) I will need to resupply anyway, and she's not
      > coming up over BP with two people's food, and (ii) it
      > doesn't make sense for her to bring her own tent, so
      > if she headed up over BP planning to meet me on the
      > other side and I wasn't there (for whatever reason),
      > she'd be in a risky situation.)) Here are a few
      > specific questions I'm hoping people can answer for
      > me:
      >
      > Does this general plan sound reasonable? Any thing I
      > should be aware of concerning it? Are there any other
      > better options for having her join me for 10 days or
      > so of hiking on the JMT?
      >
      > I'm a bit concerned about her coming over BP without
      > being acclimated to altitude. She has no experience at
      > altitude and I don't want her trip to start with
      > brutal headaches, etc. Any suggestions here? Maybe she
      > could camp for a night or two in Tuolumne Meadows
      > before heading to south lake?
      >
      > Any worries about leaving a car at South Lake TH?
      >
      > thanks!
      >
      > Nick

      > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.http://tools.search.yahoo.com/
      > newsearch/category.php?category=shopping

    • Frank Martin
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2008
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, N T <ntonthejmt@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        >

        > Does this general plan sound reasonable? Any thing I
        > should be aware of concerning it? Are there any other
        > better options for having her join me for 10 days or
        > so of hiking on the JMT?
        >
        > I'm a bit concerned about her coming over BP without
        > being acclimated to altitude. She has no experience at
        > altitude and I don't want her trip to start with
        > brutal headaches, etc. Any suggestions here? Maybe she
        > could camp for a night or two in Tuolumne Meadows
        > before heading to south lake?
        >
        > Any worries about leaving a car at South Lake TH?
        >
        > thanks!
        >
        > Nick

        The plan is reasonable. I would also consider having her meet you at
        North Lake. Go out over Piute Pass. I say this because I think the
        Evolution Valley and Muir Pass are spectacular and shouldn't be missed.

        Coming over Bishop Pass you will encounter 'The Golden Staircase' and
        Mather Pass right away. This can be a bit daunting for someone not
        used to Backpacking.

        frank
      • hmdsierra
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 6, 2008
          I like this idea. Evolution Valley, Muir Pass and LeConte are very
          scenic areas and would be a must see, as is all the rest of JMT, but
          this is a highlight of it. I took a good friend that I hadn't hiked
          with in almost 20 years from South Lk to Florence Lk. because I
          thought this was the crown jewel of JMT. Plus it would put her back
          at South Lk. near her car.