Re: [John Muir Trail] questions re meeting friend at Bishop Pass/South Lake

  • Brian O'Kelly
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2008
      Hi,
      I think this is a no brainer. Have her meet you in Tuolumne Meadows. Then she can hike the relativlely easy but beautiful 30 miles to Devils Postpile. It includes one high pass but it can be day 2. From there she can take the YARTS bus back to TM.

      Good LUck,
      Brian

      N T <ntonthejmt@...> wrote: Hi everyone,

      this is my first post to the group, as I'm seeking
      some advice concerning a trip planned for this coming
      summer.

      I'm planning on thru-hiking north to south, over
      something like three weeks, and my girlfriend wants to
      join me for part, but probably not all, of the trip.
      (She can only get a couple weeks off work, and this
      would be her first multiday hiking trip, other than
      that involved in canoe tripping). Here's what I have
      in mind:

      I hike north to south and then head down over Bishop
      Pass to meet her at South Lake. (It would be great if
      she could come up over Bishop Pass, to save me the 40
      mile return trip from the JMT junction, but I figure
      that (i) I will need to resupply anyway, and she's not
      coming up over BP with two people's food, and (ii) it
      doesn't make sense for her to bring her own tent, so
      if she headed up over BP planning to meet me on the
      other side and I wasn't there (for whatever reason),
      she'd be in a risky situation.)) Here are a few
      specific questions I'm hoping people can answer for
      me:

      Does this general plan sound reasonable? Any thing I
      should be aware of concerning it? Are there any other
      better options for having her join me for 10 days or
      so of hiking on the JMT?

      I'm a bit concerned about her coming over BP without
      being acclimated to altitude. She has no experience at
      altitude and I don't want her trip to start with
      brutal headaches, etc. Any suggestions here? Maybe she
      could camp for a night or two in Tuolumne Meadows
      before heading to south lake?

      Any worries about leaving a car at South Lake TH?

      thanks!

      Nick

      Looking for last minute shopping deals?

    • BillHilton
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2008
        I like Kearsarge Pass, only 8 miles to Onion Valley from the JMT. The
        are serveral people offering shuttle services from Lone Pine or
        Whitney Portal to Onion Valley. You could meet her there. The first
        day would be over 12,000 feet, but you come back down. Camp at Onion
        Valley overnight and get an early start and take it easy. Camp at
        Charlotte Lake for a couple of nights, then six or eight days coming
        out at Whitney Portal or at Horsehoe Meadows.

        You have three fun ideas to play around with.

        Bill

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Brian O'Kelly <losthillsguy@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I think this is a no brainer. Have her meet you in Tuolumne
        Meadows. Then she can hike the relativlely easy but beautiful 30
        miles to Devils Postpile. It includes one high pass but it can be day
        2. From there she can take the YARTS bus back to TM.

        > Good LUck,
        > Brian
        >
        > N T <ntonthejmt@...> wrote: Hi everyone,
        >
        > this is my first post to the group, as I'm seeking
        > some advice concerning a trip planned for this coming
        > summer.
        >
        > I'm planning on thru-hiking north to south, over
        > something like three weeks, and my girlfriend wants to
        > join me for part, but probably not all, of the trip.
        > (She can only get a couple weeks off work, and this
        > would be her first multiday hiking trip, other than
        > that involved in canoe tripping). Here's what I have
        > in mind:
        >
        > I hike north to south and then head down over Bishop
        > Pass to meet her at South Lake. (It would be great if
        > she could come up over Bishop Pass, to save me the 40
        > mile return trip from the JMT junction, but I figure
        > that (i) I will need to resupply anyway, and she's not
        > coming up over BP with two people's food, and (ii) it
        > doesn't make sense for her to bring her own tent, so
        > if she headed up over BP planning to meet me on the
        > other side and I wasn't there (for whatever reason),
        > she'd be in a risky situation.)) Here are a few
        > specific questions I'm hoping people can answer for
        > me:
        >
        > Does this general plan sound reasonable? Any thing I
        > should be aware of concerning it? Are there any other
        > better options for having her join me for 10 days or
        > so of hiking on the JMT?
        >
        > I'm a bit concerned about her coming over BP without
        > being acclimated to altitude. She has no experience at
        > altitude and I don't want her trip to start with
        > brutal headaches, etc. Any suggestions here? Maybe she
        > could camp for a night or two in Tuolumne Meadows
        > before heading to south lake?
        >
        > Any worries about leaving a car at South Lake TH?
        >
        > thanks!
        >
        > Nick

        > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

      • Prapanna Smith
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 5, 2008
          I would suggest that she do on of the following sections:

          Tuloumne Meadows or Yosemite to Red's Meadow
          or
          Red's Meadow to Le Conte Canyon (she can hike out from there
          to South Lake in two days)

          I think the second option is best.

          Another possibility is that she hikes over Kearsarge Pass and
          you link up at Kearsarge Lakes and then she complete the hike
          with you. That would include Mt. Whitney, of course.

          Each of these options affords you a minimal side excursion on your
          part (unless you hike with her to South Lake).

          Prapanna

          On Jan 5, 2008, at 9:17 AM, N T wrote:

          > Hi everyone,
          >
          > this is my first post to the group, as I'm seeking
          > some advice concerning a trip planned for this coming
          > summer.
          >
          > I'm planning on thru-hiking north to south, over
          > something like three weeks, and my girlfriend wants to
          > join me for part, but probably not all, of the trip.
          > (She can only get a couple weeks off work, and this
          > would be her first multiday hiking trip, other than
          > that involved in canoe tripping). Here's what I have
          > in mind:
          >
          > I hike north to south and then head down over Bishop
          > Pass to meet her at South Lake. (It would be great if
          > she could come up over Bishop Pass, to save me the 40
          > mile return trip from the JMT junction, but I figure
          > that (i) I will need to resupply anyway, and she's not
          > coming up over BP with two people's food, and (ii) it
          > doesn't make sense for her to bring her own tent, so
          > if she headed up over BP planning to meet me on the
          > other side and I wasn't there (for whatever reason),
          > she'd be in a risky situation.)) Here are a few
          > specific questions I'm hoping people can answer for
          > me:
          >
          > Does this general plan sound reasonable? Any thing I
          > should be aware of concerning it? Are there any other
          > better options for having her join me for 10 days or
          > so of hiking on the JMT?
          >
          > I'm a bit concerned about her coming over BP without
          > being acclimated to altitude. She has no experience at
          > altitude and I don't want her trip to start with
          > brutal headaches, etc. Any suggestions here? Maybe she
          > could camp for a night or two in Tuolumne Meadows
          > before heading to south lake?
          >
          > Any worries about leaving a car at South Lake TH?
          >
          > thanks!
          >
          > Nick

          > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.http://tools.search.yahoo.com/
          > newsearch/category.php?category=shopping

        • Frank Martin
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 5, 2008
            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, N T <ntonthejmt@...> wrote:

            > Hi everyone,
            >

            > Does this general plan sound reasonable? Any thing I
            > should be aware of concerning it? Are there any other
            > better options for having her join me for 10 days or
            > so of hiking on the JMT?
            >
            > I'm a bit concerned about her coming over BP without
            > being acclimated to altitude. She has no experience at
            > altitude and I don't want her trip to start with
            > brutal headaches, etc. Any suggestions here? Maybe she
            > could camp for a night or two in Tuolumne Meadows
            > before heading to south lake?
            >
            > Any worries about leaving a car at South Lake TH?
            >
            > thanks!
            >
            > Nick

            The plan is reasonable. I would also consider having her meet you at
            North Lake. Go out over Piute Pass. I say this because I think the
            Evolution Valley and Muir Pass are spectacular and shouldn't be missed.

            Coming over Bishop Pass you will encounter 'The Golden Staircase' and
            Mather Pass right away. This can be a bit daunting for someone not
            used to Backpacking.

            frank
          • hmdsierra
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 6, 2008
              I like this idea. Evolution Valley, Muir Pass and LeConte are very
              scenic areas and would be a must see, as is all the rest of JMT, but
              this is a highlight of it. I took a good friend that I hadn't hiked
              with in almost 20 years from South Lk to Florence Lk. because I
              thought this was the crown jewel of JMT. Plus it would put her back
              at South Lk. near her car.