Muir Trail Memories

  • hmdsierra
    Message 1 of 473 , Aug 1, 1999
      I happened to notice that the calendar this year
      is exactly the same as it was in 1982 when I did
      JMT. Since I'm notout hiking it right now I thought
      I'd post a trip report day by day.<br><br>On Friday
      night my friend Gary picked up myself and my oldest son
      Owen (10 years old) in Bakersfield. He also loaded
      cargo of all the meals we would have. On Saturday we
      took off from Garys house in Bodfish, went over Walker
      Pass and up the east side of the Sierra. We had
      planned on driving down to the store at Reds Mdw but I
      had just learned about the shuttle bus. We stopped in
      Mammoth and called the store at Reds Mdw. After getting
      the details we took out about a weeks worth of food
      to get us from Yosemite Valley to Reds Mdw. I took
      the rest, about 3-4 cubic feet, on the shuttle bus
      down to the store. Returning to Mammoth we continued
      over Tioga Pass to Yosemite Valley, fixed dinner, and
      found a place to spend the night. <br><br>Day 1 Aug
      1,1982<br>After a quick breakfast we went to pick up the permit.
      This was the first time I had heard about giardia.
      Garys wife let me know they had put a note in his pack
      and if he didn't find it soon I should help him find
      it. We then headed out to Happy Isles and the start
      of our journey. Being such fine specimens of
      physical conditioning we struggled up the long trail to
      Nevada Falls where we stopped for lunch. Mindful of the
      giardia concerns we were careful to get our water from a
      nearby spring. The previous winter had been a heavy snow
      year so the mist from Nevada Falls wafted back up on
      us as we ate. We continued on to Little Yosemite
      Valley taking the cutoff trail. Not exactly sure we were
      on the correct trail we checked in at the rangers
      station and found out we were going the right direction.
      She reccomended a campsite at the turn off for Clouds
      Rest. We arrived there in due time. There was a bear
      cable there and we hung all 3 of our packs from it. It
      took 2 of us to hoist them up tho. We ate and enjoyed
      our first campfire of the trip before turning in. We
      drifted off watching the stars as we usually do.
    • tiocampo
      Message 473 of 473 , Feb 24, 2002