Re: [John Muir Trail] HST round trip
- I did a round trip of the HST this last august. Somewhat similar, here is my route:
1. start at crescent meadows, hike until HST meets Kern River.
2. go south 9 miles to Kern River Canyon Ranger Station.
3. Cross suspension walk bridge there into Inyo National Forest.
4. Hike Eastward 18 miles to Horseshoe Meadows -- get the map for Golden Trout Wilderness from Tom Harrison to supplmenet the Mt Whitney High Country map they sell.
5. The above took us 7 days. We stayed overnight in Lone Pine (easy to get a ride out of Horseshoe Meadows). Next morning we went back to Horseshoe Meadows and hiked out a different path leaving there to get us on the PCT and we headed North to Crabtree Meadows -- there you can go up to Whitney if you want and return back on the HST the normal HST route all the way to Crescent Meadows -- we skipped Whitney as we'd done that before and just went from Crabtree Meadows onto the HST all the way back to Crescent Meadows, taking us 8 days.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]