Considering taking PCT High Trail to detour Garnet Lake -- advice on campsites?

  • Lauren
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 21, 2011
      I've been lurking a while planning my trip that starts on Saturday (NOBO VVR to TM). Thanks to all who have been sharing their expertise.

      Based on some of the more recent trail reports, I'm considering staying on the PCT and taking the high trail between Devil's Postpile and Thousand Island Lake. I'll make up my mind once I'm on the trail and get a chance to talk to some SOBO hikers.

      I've done all my planning assuming I'd take the JMT the whole way, so I haven't worked out a plan for the other route. Any links/info people can recommend for this section of trail? I'm looking for information on good campsites along the way, as I'm not sure how many miles I'll be doing or where I'll want to stop at that point.

      Thanks!
    • mdundas11
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 21, 2011
        The high trail is super straight forward. You pick it up from behind the abandoned horse ranch at Agnew Meadows.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Lauren" <haworthl66@...> wrote:

        > I've been lurking a while planning my trip that starts on Saturday (NOBO VVR to TM). Thanks to all who have been sharing their expertise.
        >
        > Based on some of the more recent trail reports, I'm considering staying on the PCT and taking the high trail between Devil's Postpile and Thousand Island Lake. I'll make up my mind once I'm on the trail and get a chance to talk to some SOBO hikers.
        >
        > I've done all my planning assuming I'd take the JMT the whole way, so I haven't worked out a plan for the other route. Any links/info people can recommend for this section of trail? I'm looking for information on good campsites along the way, as I'm not sure how many miles I'll be doing or where I'll want to stop at that point.
        >
        > Thanks!

      • rwilly001
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 21, 2011
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "mdundas11" <mdundas11@...> wrote:
          >the abandoned horse ranch at Agnew Meadows.

          That's actually Agnew Meadows pack station . . .
        • robert shattuck
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 21, 2011
            "I've done all my planning assuming I'd take the JMT the whole way . . . "

            Lauren,

            If you decide to take the PCT trail, it's just a long, straight (section from Thousand Is. to Agnew) shot, with no camping along it and no real need. if you think you'll only be doing about eight miles total for the day. It's pretty much like one of those long escalator conveyers at the airport––you get on at one end and you stay there until you hit the other end.  There's no camping spots on this section of the PCT  . . . it's pretty much that––a trail that runs along a ridge of sorts.

            I'd spend the night in Agnew Meadow or thereabouts and then hit the PCT section and make a day of it, although, if it's easy going––there's already been a fair amount of PCTer's on it––then it won't take you an entire day before it junctions, allowing you to head down to the JMT.

            Both the JMT and the River Trail offer a lot more in terms of camping, if need be.

            BOB

            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com