Advice on going ahead with our JMT hike next week?

  • cbtalbert1
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 21, 2011
      Hello everyone - I'm new to the blog and lots of helpful info here! Husband and I have planned a hike from Piute Pass TH to Happy Isles, starting next week, and all logistics including dogsitter, plane tickets and resupply boxes are all taken care of. But reading the posts we're wondering if we're stepping into a dangerous situation. How difficult is the routefinding really? (we don't have a GPS or a lot of routefinding experience, though we do have the Tom Harrison maps, a compass and some navigation skills) How dangerous is it coming down the north side of the passes, presuming we wait till mid morning to go over? Is it possible to get across all the streams safely if we're sensible? Are we likely to be able to complete our planned 13-15 miles per day? (we are very fit and normally hike at 2.5 miles per hour but not in sloggy snow with routefinding)

      I would really appreciate any advice that the group can provide! Sure would hate to cancel but I don't want to take risks beyond our skill level.

      Cheryl Talbert
    • mdundas11
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 21, 2011
        Hi Cheryl,
        i just posted our trip report. I'd say you'll be okay as long as you end your trip at Tuolemne Meadows. There's a bus that can take you from TM to the Valley if you need to get there. ( its called YART ).
        Oh, and bring a ski pole to help you on the snowy passes
        -matt
      • Cheryl Talbert
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 21, 2011
          Thanks Matt!!  How difficult is the routefinding between Evolution Valley and Tuolumne?  Which stream crossings should we most look out for and is the best crossing up or downstream from the trail?  (have already heard about Bear Creek)