Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: basic choice

  • Prapanna Smith
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 20, 2007
      Agreed! And the view during the descent from Virginia Lake to Tully
      Hole is
      absolutely spectacular. I felt it was one of the finest sections of
      the entire
      JMT!

      Prapanna

    • hmdsierra
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 20, 2007
        I agree on the boring...to a point. When my then 10 year old Son and
        I did the trail in '82 we had spent the night at Red Cones in the
        rain. We started late that next morning due to the rain. My first
        impression was that it was just ordinary hiking, depressed by the fact
        that my friend had to bail at Red's. That was unti we broke over the
        ridge and had our first view of Cascade Valley. It was still storming
        and the scenery was constantly shifting. Rain over there sun shining
        here then in five minutes it was all different. I've been back there
        twice and that first time was the best. It was a highlight of the trip.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > > ending up at WP, roughly 88 miles
        > > trailhead-to-trailhead. This
        > > trip is
        > > > like eating the heart of the watermelon and offers
        > > an incomparable
        > > > journey; but, it still comes down to how much
        > > weight are you going
        > > > carry and how many hours per day are you going to
        > > hike. If you're
        > > > going to be hiking at 6:00am, resting mid-day,
        > > stopping again in
        > > late
        > > > afternoon for dinner, then hiking until dusk, even
        > > at a mile-an-
        > > hour
        > > > you'll be finished the North Lake/WP in 8-9 days
        > > without resupply.
        > > >
        > > > I suppose the last option would be to cache food
        > > at one of the
        > > Vidette
        > > > Meadow bear lockers by driving to Trails End in

      • thomas taylor
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 20, 2007
          Yeah, you're right hmdsierra. I found it 'boring'
          from Reds to a little south of Red Cone. The scenery
          improves remarkably when Cascade Vly pops into view.
          Purple Lake is usually crowded unless you get there
          early as it's a relatively easy day hike. Virginia
          Lake, a little further uphill from Purple, is usually
          devoid of campers. Although Virgina is somewhat
          exposed and therefore a little windy, is has a
          dynamite expansive view that keeps you looking until
          darkness completely settles in.

          Thomas