Re: Barbara Karagosian's Trail Bars

  • Christi McGinley
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 17, 2011
      Here's what my calculations show:

      3.6 - ounces (it's about about a 3"W x 3"L 1/2"H bar)
      500 - calories

      I just took each ingredient from the recipe and found the calorie count for the amount in the recipe, added it up (11,860) and divided by the number of bars I get in the batch which is 24.

      4C oats - 1280 cal
      1C shredded coconut - 340 cal
      1C sunflower seeds - 2976 cal
      1/3C ground flax - 250 cal
      1C wheat germ - 480 cal
      8 scoops protein powder - 640 cal
      2C PB - 3200 cal
      2C honey - 1920 cal
      2C choc chips - 770 cal

      Eating a full 3" bar has been more than my husband or I could eat so we usually have 1/2 of that and are very satisfied. We've taken them with us snowshoeing this winter and also on a backpacking "gear shake out" this July 4th. They get a little soft but they haven't melted on us at all. We're taking these on our JMT trip this August.

      Christi

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 17, 2011
        Where is the message link to Barbara's recipe.  We need to add it and a link to this thread to our links library.

        Thanks!
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 17, 2011
          Via the advance search feature, I found it and created two links.  Now if someone can add a third link to the list -- hint, hint.

          PCTer (unknown) recipe of Trail Bars found and posted by Barbara Karagosian
          PCTer (unknown) recipe of Trail Bars found and posted by Barbara Karagosian. Many rave about this recipe.
          marti124
          Offline
          Edit  Delete  Cut

          PCTer (unknown) recipe of Trail Bars found and posted by Barbara Karagosian-Calculated Nutrition Information

          Christi McGinley took each ingredient from the recipe and found the calorie count for the amount in the recipe, added it up and divided. Now if someone can calculate the protein, fat and carb grams. Hint, hint.

        • targetdoggmechanic
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 17, 2011

            Does anyone know how long these keep?  I have to mail resupplys to MTR which means it could be up to 3-4 weeks until I consume them.  I have some oxygen absorber packets that I buy for my homemade jerky and that seems to help the jerky keep a little bit longer.  They are pretty tasty!!!  Here is the receipe for the trail bars...I copied it to a word document a while back.

            Barbara K's trail bar receipe

            4 -5 cups rolled oats (I'd go with 4)

            1 cup shredded coconut

            I cup sunflower seeds

            1/3 cup ground flax seeds (I ground the seeds in a blender)

            1 cup wheat germ

            8 scoops protein powder (I used vanilla)

            ½ tbs salt

            Mix all this together in a LARGE bowl

            Melt the next 3 together in a saucepan until liquidy

            2 cups PB (think I used about 24 ozs)

            2 cups honey (I used about 20 ozs)

            2 cups choc chips

            Then mix the melted stuff with the dry mixed stuff.  First with a spoon, then you'll need to use your hands, like kneading bread dough.

            Spread it onto wax paper lining a cookie sheet.  Press it down with your hands, then use a rolling pin to smooth it out.  Use a knife to section out the bars now – might be too hard later.

            Leave overnight in frig covered with wax paper.  Store in ziplocks with wax paper or parchment paper.

            It says makes 20 bars, 51/4 x 2 x ¾ inches, but I got about  30 out of this, a little shorter length.

            > Where is the message link to Barbara's recipe. We need to add it and a link
            > to this thread to our links library.
            >
            > Thanks!

          • targetdoggmechanic
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 17, 2011
              I added my favorite beef jerky receipe. Make sure you dry it completely in a dehydrator, with vacuum sealing, it lasts months. I've had it keep longer that 30 days in ziplocks and pushing out as much air as possible (not vacuum sealing) and dropping in 1 oxy absorber packet per 1/2 lb (search ebay or amazon for packets). Pretty tasty stuff, my family is pretty picky when it comes to jerky, and its the number 1 request for our outings.
            • T
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 16, 2012
                Hello, so you just mix all the ingredients together then bake it?

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 16, 2012
                  No baking required.  I didn't notice that this post didn't have the directions.  Sorry about that!

                  Mix all dry ingredients (oats through protein powder)
                  Combine PB, honey, and chips in a saucepan and melt it all together.

                  Combine dry with wet in a large bowl and then just knead it all together.  Then spread it out on a baking sheet to cool.

                  I line the sheet with wax paper or cooking paper of some sort so it doesn't stick.  Also, make sure you cut the bars before they set.  It's easier than after they are cold.

                  Christi

                  On Jan 16, 2012, at 5:40 PM, T wrote:

                  Hello, so you just mix all the ingredients together then bake it?

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Christi McGinley" <christimcginley@...> wrote:

                  > Here's what my calculations show:
                  >
                  > 3.6 - ounces (it's about about a 3"W x 3"L 1/2"H bar)
                  > 500 - calories
                  >
                  > I just took each ingredient from the recipe and found the calorie count for the amount in the recipe, added it up (11,860) and divided by the number of bars I get in the batch which is 24.
                  >
                  > 4C oats - 1280 cal
                  > 1C shredded coconut - 340 cal
                  > 1C sunflower seeds - 2976 cal
                  > 1/3C ground flax - 250 cal
                  > 1C wheat germ - 480 cal
                  > 8 scoops protein powder - 640 cal
                  > 2C PB - 3200 cal
                  > 2C honey - 1920 cal
                  > 2C choc chips - 770 cal
                  >
                  > Eating a full 3" bar has been more than my husband or I could eat so we usually have 1/2 of that and are very satisfied. We've taken them with us snowshoeing this winter and also on a backpacking "gear shake out" this July 4th. They get a little soft but they haven't melted on us at all. We're taking these on our JMT trip this August.
                  >
                  > Christi
                  >
                  > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "ljfhiker" <lfritz44@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Has anyone ever calculated calories, protein, etc for Barbara's most excellent trail bars? I'm thinking that the per ounce value would be better than most commercial products.

                • Barbara Karagosian
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 16, 2012
                    Ooh, I have to make these again.  No baking, it forms a glue like substance that solidifies in the frig, I think!  Much better than it sounds!

                    Barbara