basic choice

  • John Randall
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 19, 2007
      The JMT's resupply points are top-loaded, that is on the northern 1/2
      of the trip; Tuolumne, Reds Meadow, VVR and MTR. Not coincidentally,
      the northern 1/2 of the JMT is the most heavily used, and in my opinion
      the least enjoyable. In August every campsite between Happy Valley and
      Piute Trail junction is occupied by weekenders coming in from Tuolumne,
      Reds Meadow, Mammoth, Lake Edison and Florence Lake. The Mono and Bear
      Creek drainages have wall-to-wall fishermen. I don't recommend this
      section unless it's actually important to you to say you've hiked the
      JMT end-to-end. That and a dollar will get you a coke.

      If I had one hike to hike it would be from the North Lake trailhead
      over Piute Pass and down to the PCT/JMT at the bridge, then south
      through Evolution continuing to Whitney Portal or Horseshoe Meadow.
      That trip is about 115 miles; nine or ten days for the average
      backpacker. That's a lot of food to carry, but there's no practical
      alternative. Less weight, fewer days.

      The second hike I'd take would leave from South Lake via Bishop Pass
      ending up at WP, roughly 88 miles trailhead-to-trailhead. This trip is
      like eating the heart of the watermelon and offers an incomparable
      journey; but, it still comes down to how much weight are you going to
      carry and how many hours per day are you going to hike. If you're
      going to be hiking at 6:00am, resting mid-day, stopping again in late
      afternoon for dinner, then hiking until dusk, even at a mile-an-hour
      you'll be finished the North Lake/WP in 8-9 days without resupply.

      I suppose the last option would be to cache food at one of the Vidette
      Meadow bear lockers by driving to Trails End in Kings Canyon and hiking
      up the Bubbs Creek Trail.

      john randall
      birmingham, AL
    • Kevin Aston
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 19, 2007
        I agree with John, but if you are a rookie hiker, and are not sure of
        you abilities at high altitude, I would choose the north end because
        there are a lot of bail out points. If you are going south, after
        Vermillion getting off the trail is a 12-25 mile walk, or a $1500 per
        person helicopter ride.
        Happy Planning
        Kevin Aston

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "John Randall"
        <sierra_marmot@...> wrote:

        > The JMT's resupply points are top-loaded, that is on the northern
        1/2
        > of the trip; Tuolumne, Reds Meadow, VVR and MTR. Not
        coincidentally,
        > the northern 1/2 of the JMT is the most heavily used, and in my
        opinion
        > the least enjoyable. In August every campsite between Happy Valley
        and
        > Piute Trail junction is occupied by weekenders coming in from
        Tuolumne,
        > Reds Meadow, Mammoth, Lake Edison and Florence Lake. The Mono and
        Bear
        > Creek drainages have wall-to-wall fishermen. I don't recommend
        this
        > section unless it's actually important to you to say you've hiked
        the
        > JMT end-to-end. That and a dollar will get you a coke.
        >
        > If I had one hike to hike it would be from the North Lake trailhead
        > over Piute Pass and down to the PCT/JMT at the bridge, then south
        > through Evolution continuing to Whitney Portal or Horseshoe
        Meadow.
        > That trip is about 115 miles; nine or ten days for the average
        > backpacker. That's a lot of food to carry, but there's no
        practical
        > alternative. Less weight, fewer days.
        >
        > The second hike I'd take would leave from South Lake via Bishop
        Pass
        > ending up at WP, roughly 88 miles trailhead-to-trailhead. This
        trip is
        > like eating the heart of the watermelon and offers an incomparable
        > journey; but, it still comes down to how much weight are you going
        > carry and how many hours per day are you going to hike. If you're
        > going to be hiking at 6:00am, resting mid-day, stopping again in
        late
        > afternoon for dinner, then hiking until dusk, even at a mile-an-
        hour
        > you'll be finished the North Lake/WP in 8-9 days without resupply.
        >
        > I suppose the last option would be to cache food at one of the
        Vidette
        > Meadow bear lockers by driving to Trails End in Kings Canyon and
        hiking
        > up the Bubbs Creek Trail.
        >
        > john randall
        > birmingham, AL

      • Ken
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 19, 2007
          I agree. Bailing out on the Northern part is much easier than the Southern part. I think the helicopter ride is more than $1,500. In fact, I heard from a river guide that someone had to be pulled out of the Green River, UT (broken legs) and they sent her parents a bill for $12,000 to $15,000. Of course, $12,000 to $15,000 is better than dead.

          Be Safe!
          Ken

          <sierra_marmot@ ...> wrote:

          > The JMT's resupply points are top-loaded, that is on the northern

          1/2

          > of the trip; Tuolumne, Reds Meadow, VVR and MTR. Not

          coincidentally,

          > the northern 1/2 of the JMT is the most heavily used, and in my

          opinion

          > the least enjoyable. In August every campsite between Happy Valley

          and

          > Piute Trail junction is occupied by weekenders coming in from

          Tuolumne,

          > Reds Meadow, Mammoth, Lake Edison and Florence Lake. The Mono and

          Bear

          > Creek drainages have wall-to-wall fishermen. I don't recommend

          this

          > section unless it's actually important to you to say you've hiked

          the

          > JMT end-to-end. That and a dollar will get you a coke.

          > If I had one hike to hike it would be from the North Lake trailhead

          > over Piute Pass and down to the PCT/JMT at the bridge, then south

          > through Evolution continuing to Whitney Portal or Horseshoe

          Meadow.

          > That trip is about 115 miles; nine or ten days for the average

          > backpacker. That's a lot of food to carry, but there's no

          practical

          > alternative. Less weight, fewer days.

          > The second hike I'd take would leave from South Lake via Bishop

          Pass

          > ending up at WP, roughly 88 miles trailhead-to- trailhead. This

          trip is

          > like eating the heart of the watermelon and offers an incomparable

          > journey; but, it still comes down to how much weight are you going

          > carry and how many hours per day are you going to hike. If you're

          > going to be hiking at 6:00am, resting mid-day, stopping again in

          late

          > afternoon for dinner, then hiking until dusk, even at a mile-an-

          hour

          > you'll be finished the North Lake/WP in 8-9 days without resupply.

          > I suppose the last option would be to cache food at one of the

          Vidette

          > Meadow bear lockers by driving to Trails End in Kings Canyon and

          hiking

          > up the Bubbs Creek Trail.

          > john randall

          > birmingham, AL

          <!--

          #ygrp-mkp{
          #ygrp-mkp hr{
          border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
          #ygrp-mkp #hd{
          #ygrp-mkp #ads{
          margin-bottom:10px;}
          #ygrp-mkp .ad{
          padding:0 0;}
          #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
          color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
          -->

          <!--

          #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
          font-family:Arial;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
          #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
          margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
          -->

          <!--

          #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
          #ygrp-text{
          font-family:Georgia;
          }
          #ygrp-text p{
          margin:0 0 1em 0;}
          #ygrp-tpmsgs{
          font-family:Arial;
          clear:both;}
          #ygrp-vitnav{
          #ygrp-vitnav a{
          padding:0 1px;}
          #ygrp-actbar{
          #ygrp-actbar .left{
          float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
          .bld{font-weight:bold;}
          #ygrp-grft{
          #ygrp-ft{
          padding:5px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
          padding-bottom:10px;}

          #ygrp-vital{
          #ygrp-vital #vithd{
          #ygrp-vital ul{
          padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
          #ygrp-vital ul li{
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
          #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
          font-weight:bold;}
          #ygrp-vital a{
          text-decoration:none;}

          #ygrp-vital a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;}

          #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
          color:#999;font-size:77%;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
          padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
          text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
          padding:8px 0;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
          text-decoration:none;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
          margin:0;}
          o{font-size:0;}
          .MsoNormal{
          margin:0 0 0 0;}
          #ygrp-text tt{
          font-size:120%;}
          blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
          .replbq{margin:4;}
          -->

        • jmaddog1082@charter.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 19, 2007
            While we're on that subject, Search and Rescue Teams / Public Safety agencies should not be charging the patients/victims of any ground/water/air rescue UNLESS the patient/victim is or has comitted a violation of any law which led to their predicament. An example might be sustaining a fall that requires a rescue during a climb in a "no trespass" or "out of bounds" area.

            However, the helo "bill" you're refering to may actually be one covered by most basic health insurance plans, assuming the patient/victim is insured.

            But you're right Ken - what price do we place on our health and lives?

            Happy trails,

          • thomas taylor
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 20, 2007
              I disagree! There is a LOT of spectacular scenery
              between Donahue Pass and the Piute Junction - way too
              much to skip out on. In fact the only section that I
              found 'boring' was a small section of a few miles
              immediately out of Reds to about Purple Lake.

              If you want to avoid the weekenders go late spring.
              The only people you'll run into will be those doing
              the PCT AND the peaks (and passes) will be snowy. A
              scenery filled with snowy peaks makes it for me.

              Thomas

            • Prapanna Smith
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 20, 2007
                Agreed! And the view during the descent from Virginia Lake to Tully
                Hole is
                absolutely spectacular. I felt it was one of the finest sections of
                the entire
                JMT!

                Prapanna

              • hmdsierra
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 20, 2007
                  I agree on the boring...to a point. When my then 10 year old Son and
                  I did the trail in '82 we had spent the night at Red Cones in the
                  rain. We started late that next morning due to the rain. My first
                  impression was that it was just ordinary hiking, depressed by the fact
                  that my friend had to bail at Red's. That was unti we broke over the
                  ridge and had our first view of Cascade Valley. It was still storming
                  and the scenery was constantly shifting. Rain over there sun shining
                  here then in five minutes it was all different. I've been back there
                  twice and that first time was the best. It was a highlight of the trip.

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > > ending up at WP, roughly 88 miles
                  > > trailhead-to-trailhead. This
                  > > trip is
                  > > > like eating the heart of the watermelon and offers
                  > > an incomparable
                  > > > journey; but, it still comes down to how much
                  > > weight are you going
                  > > > carry and how many hours per day are you going to
                  > > hike. If you're
                  > > > going to be hiking at 6:00am, resting mid-day,
                  > > stopping again in
                  > > late
                  > > > afternoon for dinner, then hiking until dusk, even
                  > > at a mile-an-
                  > > hour
                  > > > you'll be finished the North Lake/WP in 8-9 days
                  > > without resupply.
                  > > >
                  > > > I suppose the last option would be to cache food
                  > > at one of the
                  > > Vidette
                  > > > Meadow bear lockers by driving to Trails End in

                • thomas taylor
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 20, 2007
                    Yeah, you're right hmdsierra. I found it 'boring'
                    from Reds to a little south of Red Cone. The scenery
                    improves remarkably when Cascade Vly pops into view.
                    Purple Lake is usually crowded unless you get there
                    early as it's a relatively easy day hike. Virginia
                    Lake, a little further uphill from Purple, is usually
                    devoid of campers. Although Virgina is somewhat
                    exposed and therefore a little windy, is has a
                    dynamite expansive view that keeps you looking until
                    darkness completely settles in.

                    Thomas