Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Rookie needs help

  • Bob Bankhead
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 19, 2007
      Actually, from Sunrise High Sierra Camp (9320') to Happy Isles (4035') is mostly all DOWNHILL.

      Sunrise was open when I went through this August, but they had to pack in all their water, which they reserved for their guests and staff. It's true that water was scarce this year between Happy Isle and Tuolumne Meadows, but we had no problems. We got water at Upper Cathedral Lake, from a deep pool in a creek bed south of Long Meadow, and again from the Mercedd River at Little Yosemite Valley. From there, you essentially follow the river down to the valley so water is easy to come by.

      Jay is correct; you can set your watch by the opening and closing of the Tuolumne Grill. It's all business and virtually zero customer concern - stand in line, place your order, pay, get your food, get out and make room for other customers. The store is friendly and open longer. We got there on the 7 pm YARTS bus from the Valley, and it was still going strong, but I've forgotten just when it does close.

      Wandering Bob

    • Ken
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 19, 2007
        My group started the JMT 8/31 from Happy Isle heading south. We were told, by several park rangers, that there was no reliable sources of water except approximate 1/2 mile past the turn off to Half Dome. I believe that was Sunrise Creek. We all loaded up there so we would have enough water to make it to Tuolumne Meadows, but that was not necessary. Between Sunrise Creek and Sunrise (High Sierra Camp) we came across no less than 4 filterable water sources. I guess we played it safe, but that was a lot of water to haul UPHILL that was not necessary. Point being get real time info. especially from other hikers going in the other direction when possible. The tap at Sunrise was capped when we arrived and the general store was also closed until later that day, so no hot cocoa for us. We pressed onto Toulumne Meadows and that was one good cheeseburger! Make sure you arrive by 5 p.m. or no cheeseburger for you!

[...]

        <!--

        #ygrp-mkp{
        #ygrp-mkp hr{
        border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
        #ygrp-mkp #hd{
        #ygrp-mkp #ads{
        margin-bottom:10px;}
        #ygrp-mkp .ad{
        padding:0 0;}
        #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
        color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
        -->

        <!--

        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
        font-family:Arial;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
        margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
        -->

        <!--

        #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
        #ygrp-text{
        font-family:Georgia;
        }
        #ygrp-text p{
        margin:0 0 1em 0;}
        #ygrp-tpmsgs{
        font-family:Arial;
        clear:both;}
        #ygrp-vitnav{
        #ygrp-vitnav a{
        padding:0 1px;}
        #ygrp-actbar{
        #ygrp-actbar .left{
        float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
        .bld{font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-grft{
        #ygrp-ft{
        padding:5px 0;
        }
        #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
        padding-bottom:10px;}

        #ygrp-vital{
        #ygrp-vital #vithd{
        #ygrp-vital ul{
        padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
        #ygrp-vital ul li{
        }
        #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
        #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
        font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-vital a{
        text-decoration:none;}

        #ygrp-vital a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}

        #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
        color:#999;font-size:77%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
        padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
        text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
        padding:8px 0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
        text-decoration:none;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
        margin:0;}
        o{font-size:0;}
        .MsoNormal{
        margin:0 0 0 0;}
        #ygrp-text tt{
        font-size:120%;}
        blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
        .replbq{margin:4;}
        -->

      • Jay Strine
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 20, 2007
          I am sorry I wrote that backwards. I stated put starting at Happy
          Isles adds a day. I ment to write Happy Isles to Sunrise is uphill.
          Sorry I wrote that in a rush, I was at work. Thank you for pointing
          that out, my intention was not to miss inform anyone.

          Thank you,
          Jay Strine
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bankhead"
          <wandering_bob@...> wrote:

          > Actually, from Sunrise High Sierra Camp (9320') to Happy Isles
          (4035') is mostly all DOWNHILL.

          > Sunrise was open when I went through this August, but they had to
          pack in all their water, which they reserved for their guests and
          staff. It's true that water was scarce this year between Happy Isle
          and Tuolumne Meadows, but we had no problems. We got water at Upper
          Cathedral Lake, from a deep pool in a creek bed south of Long Meadow,
          and again from the Mercedd River at Little Yosemite Valley. From
          there, you essentially follow the river down to the valley so water
          is easy to come by.

          > Jay is correct; you can set your watch by the opening and closing
          of the Tuolumne Grill. It's all business and virtually zero customer
          concern - stand in line, place your order, pay, get your food, get
          out and make room for other customers. The store is friendly and open
          longer. We got there on the 7 pm YARTS bus from the Valley, and it
          was still going strong, but I've forgotten just when it does close.

          > Wandering Bob

        • thomas taylor
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 20, 2007
            Jay,

            Nearby is the Toulumne Resort where there is a store
            and, better, a RESTAURANT that serves supper until 9PM
            - about $10/head if I remember correctly. Way better
            than the grill IMO. It near the backpacker permit
            station and parking lot. YARTS goes there and you can
            always hitch a ride but it's not more than a mile from
            the blacktop. You can also shower there in the
            afternoon legally.

            Thomas
            --- Strine Jay <hundyff@...> wrote:

            > but 5:00pm on the dot. We came out of Toulumne
            > Meadows and all could think about was the Grill. We
            > had on person who was tired and slow. We encouraged
            > him on and made it there at 5:10pm. The store was
            > still open, but not the grill. I was able to beg and
            > plead and they let me use the restroom before they
            > locked it up, but I could not order any food.

            > Be a better friend, newshound, and

          • Brian O'Kelly
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 20, 2007
              thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...> wrote: Jay,

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 20, 2007
                Here is the new and improved JMT profile. It will print on three sheets of legal size paper if you have software to tile print. I made this to put on my wall for inspiration.

                http://www.centralcoastvwclub.com/jmtlarge21day.gif

                Have fun,
                Brian

                --- Strine Jay <hundyff@...> wrote:

                > but 5:00pm on the dot. We came out of Toulumne
                > Meadows and all could think about was the Grill. We
                > had on person who was tired and slow. We encouraged
                > him on and made it there at 5:10pm. The store was
                > still open, but not the grill. I was able to beg and
                > plead and they let me use the restroom before they
                > locked it up, but I could not order any food.

                > Be a better friend, newshound, and

              • Fred Sharples
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 20, 2007
                  I stayed the the Tuolumne Meadows Resort last June to duck out of a
                  snowstorm on my JMT trip <http://fredsharples.com/jmt.html>. Dinner prices
                  have gone way up. (around $20-25) Superb food though. I was grateful to get
                  a wood stove and a good meal, rather than ride out the storm in my solo
                  tent.
                  You can use the hot showers there for a small fee during the mid day hours,
                  even if you are not staying there.

                  Quake
                  http://biggestroom.com

                  On 12/20/07, Brian O'Kelly <losthillsguy@...> wrote:

                  > thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@... <tgtaylor7%40yahoo.com>> wrote: Jay,
                  >
                  > Nearby is the Toulumne Resort where there is a store
                  > and, better, a RESTAURANT that serves supper until 9PM
                  > - about $10/head if I remember correctly. Way better
                  > than the grill IMO. It near the backpacker permit
                  > station and parking lot. YARTS goes there and you can
                  > always hitch a ride but it's not more than a mile from
                  > the blacktop. You can also shower there in the
                  > afternoon legally.
                  >
                  > Thomas
                  > --- Strine Jay <hundyff@... <hundyff%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                  >
                  > > but 5:00pm on the dot. We came out of Toulumne
                  > > Meadows and all could think about was the Grill. We
                  > > had on person who was tired and slow. We encouraged
                  > > him on and made it there at 5:10pm. The store was
                  > > still open, but not the grill. I was able to beg and
                  > > plead and they let me use the restroom before they
                  > > locked it up, but I could not order any food.

                  > > Be a better friend, newshound, and

                  Orange Design Inc.
                  Games - Tech - Art
                  2601 Mission Street #800