Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Rookie needs help

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 18, 2007
      How many miles is it from Trail Beginning (is that Happy Isles) to trailhead exit near Bishop?

      I'm looking to do, with 2 others, a 15-16 day hike (about 10 miles a day) on the JMT and have thought of doing eitheri Toulumne Meadows to Independence or Reds Meadows to Whitney Portal, but have not thought of other similar length JMT sections so I'm curious about your plan.

      Of all the 15-16 day hikes one can do, I'm curious which 15-16 day segments have best interspersed resupply points, best scenery, easy to/from transportation (we'll have one car and need to find transportation to other end), without the first day encountering high altitude -- like the idea of the first 1-2 days being under 10,000 feet if possible.

      Also, what is the longest segment in miles between available water on the JMT?

      Thanks!

    • Strine Jay
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 19, 2007
        The only information I can offer is from our trip this
        year. We went from Devil's Postpile (or Reds Meadow)
        to Happy Isles. It took us 5 days. We did a detour
        on the last day and climbed Half Dome.
        We moved at a pretty fast pace and did 10 to 17 miles
        a day. The water was very plentiful from Mammouth to
        Toulumne Meadows. From the Meadows to Happy Isles the
        water was very scarce. This however, is not the norm,
        they had been experiencing a drought.
        From what I can tell starting at Happy Isles would
        probably add a day. From Sunrise camp to Happy Isles
        is all up hill. Most people went from Happy Isles to
        Sunrise Camp, which was closed due to drought
        conditions this year.
        Well I hope this gives you some insight. I plan to do
        a portion of the JMT again in 2008, I am not sure
        which area yet. One other bit of information, there
        is a store and a grill at Toulumne Meadows you will
        pass on the way, they close at 5:00pm not 5:01 or 5:05
        but 5:00pm on the dot. We came out of Toulumne
        Meadows and all could think about was the Grill. We
        had on person who was tired and slow. We encouraged
        him on and made it there at 5:10pm. The store was
        still open, but not the grill. I was able to beg and
        plead and they let me use the restroom before they
        locked it up, but I could not order any food.

        Good luck.

        Jay Strine

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
      • Bob Bankhead
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 19, 2007
          Actually, from Sunrise High Sierra Camp (9320') to Happy Isles (4035') is mostly all DOWNHILL.

          Sunrise was open when I went through this August, but they had to pack in all their water, which they reserved for their guests and staff. It's true that water was scarce this year between Happy Isle and Tuolumne Meadows, but we had no problems. We got water at Upper Cathedral Lake, from a deep pool in a creek bed south of Long Meadow, and again from the Mercedd River at Little Yosemite Valley. From there, you essentially follow the river down to the valley so water is easy to come by.

          Jay is correct; you can set your watch by the opening and closing of the Tuolumne Grill. It's all business and virtually zero customer concern - stand in line, place your order, pay, get your food, get out and make room for other customers. The store is friendly and open longer. We got there on the 7 pm YARTS bus from the Valley, and it was still going strong, but I've forgotten just when it does close.

          Wandering Bob

        • Ken
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 19, 2007
            My group started the JMT 8/31 from Happy Isle heading south. We were told, by several park rangers, that there was no reliable sources of water except approximate 1/2 mile past the turn off to Half Dome. I believe that was Sunrise Creek. We all loaded up there so we would have enough water to make it to Tuolumne Meadows, but that was not necessary. Between Sunrise Creek and Sunrise (High Sierra Camp) we came across no less than 4 filterable water sources. I guess we played it safe, but that was a lot of water to haul UPHILL that was not necessary. Point being get real time info. especially from other hikers going in the other direction when possible. The tap at Sunrise was capped when we arrived and the general store was also closed until later that day, so no hot cocoa for us. We pressed onto Toulumne Meadows and that was one good cheeseburger! Make sure you arrive by 5 p.m. or no cheeseburger for you!

[...]

            <!--

            #ygrp-mkp{
            #ygrp-mkp hr{
            border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
            #ygrp-mkp #hd{
            #ygrp-mkp #ads{
            margin-bottom:10px;}
            #ygrp-mkp .ad{
            padding:0 0;}
            #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
            color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
            -->

            <!--

            #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
            font-family:Arial;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
            margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
            -->

            <!--

            #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
            #ygrp-text{
            font-family:Georgia;
            }
            #ygrp-text p{
            margin:0 0 1em 0;}
            #ygrp-tpmsgs{
            font-family:Arial;
            clear:both;}
            #ygrp-vitnav{
            #ygrp-vitnav a{
            padding:0 1px;}
            #ygrp-actbar{
            #ygrp-actbar .left{
            float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
            .bld{font-weight:bold;}
            #ygrp-grft{
            #ygrp-ft{
            padding:5px 0;
            }
            #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
            padding-bottom:10px;}

            #ygrp-vital{
            #ygrp-vital #vithd{
            #ygrp-vital ul{
            padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
            #ygrp-vital ul li{
            }
            #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
            #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
            font-weight:bold;}
            #ygrp-vital a{
            text-decoration:none;}

            #ygrp-vital a:hover{
            text-decoration:underline;}

            #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
            color:#999;font-size:77%;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
            padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
            text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
            padding:8px 0;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
            text-decoration:none;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
            text-decoration:underline;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
            margin:0;}
            o{font-size:0;}
            .MsoNormal{
            margin:0 0 0 0;}
            #ygrp-text tt{
            font-size:120%;}
            blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
            .replbq{margin:4;}
            -->

          • Jay Strine
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 20, 2007
              I am sorry I wrote that backwards. I stated put starting at Happy
              Isles adds a day. I ment to write Happy Isles to Sunrise is uphill.
              Sorry I wrote that in a rush, I was at work. Thank you for pointing
              that out, my intention was not to miss inform anyone.

              Thank you,
              Jay Strine
              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bankhead"
              <wandering_bob@...> wrote:

              > Actually, from Sunrise High Sierra Camp (9320') to Happy Isles
              (4035') is mostly all DOWNHILL.

              > Sunrise was open when I went through this August, but they had to
              pack in all their water, which they reserved for their guests and
              staff. It's true that water was scarce this year between Happy Isle
              and Tuolumne Meadows, but we had no problems. We got water at Upper
              Cathedral Lake, from a deep pool in a creek bed south of Long Meadow,
              and again from the Mercedd River at Little Yosemite Valley. From
              there, you essentially follow the river down to the valley so water
              is easy to come by.

              > Jay is correct; you can set your watch by the opening and closing
              of the Tuolumne Grill. It's all business and virtually zero customer
              concern - stand in line, place your order, pay, get your food, get
              out and make room for other customers. The store is friendly and open
              longer. We got there on the 7 pm YARTS bus from the Valley, and it
              was still going strong, but I've forgotten just when it does close.

              > Wandering Bob

            • thomas taylor
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 20, 2007
                Jay,

                Nearby is the Toulumne Resort where there is a store
                and, better, a RESTAURANT that serves supper until 9PM
                - about $10/head if I remember correctly. Way better
                than the grill IMO. It near the backpacker permit
                station and parking lot. YARTS goes there and you can
                always hitch a ride but it's not more than a mile from
                the blacktop. You can also shower there in the
                afternoon legally.

                Thomas
                --- Strine Jay <hundyff@...> wrote:

                > but 5:00pm on the dot. We came out of Toulumne
                > Meadows and all could think about was the Grill. We
                > had on person who was tired and slow. We encouraged
                > him on and made it there at 5:10pm. The store was
                > still open, but not the grill. I was able to beg and
                > plead and they let me use the restroom before they
                > locked it up, but I could not order any food.

                > Be a better friend, newshound, and

              • Brian O'Kelly
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 20, 2007
                  thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...> wrote: Jay,

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 20, 2007
                    Here is the new and improved JMT profile. It will print on three sheets of legal size paper if you have software to tile print. I made this to put on my wall for inspiration.

                    http://www.centralcoastvwclub.com/jmtlarge21day.gif

                    Have fun,
                    Brian

                    --- Strine Jay <hundyff@...> wrote:

                    > but 5:00pm on the dot. We came out of Toulumne
                    > Meadows and all could think about was the Grill. We
                    > had on person who was tired and slow. We encouraged
                    > him on and made it there at 5:10pm. The store was
                    > still open, but not the grill. I was able to beg and
                    > plead and they let me use the restroom before they
                    > locked it up, but I could not order any food.

                    > Be a better friend, newshound, and

                  • Fred Sharples
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 20, 2007
                      I stayed the the Tuolumne Meadows Resort last June to duck out of a
                      snowstorm on my JMT trip <http://fredsharples.com/jmt.html>. Dinner prices
                      have gone way up. (around $20-25) Superb food though. I was grateful to get
                      a wood stove and a good meal, rather than ride out the storm in my solo
                      tent.
                      You can use the hot showers there for a small fee during the mid day hours,
                      even if you are not staying there.

                      Quake
                      http://biggestroom.com

                      On 12/20/07, Brian O'Kelly <losthillsguy@...> wrote:

                      > thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@... <tgtaylor7%40yahoo.com>> wrote: Jay,
                      >
                      > Nearby is the Toulumne Resort where there is a store
                      > and, better, a RESTAURANT that serves supper until 9PM
                      > - about $10/head if I remember correctly. Way better
                      > than the grill IMO. It near the backpacker permit
                      > station and parking lot. YARTS goes there and you can
                      > always hitch a ride but it's not more than a mile from
                      > the blacktop. You can also shower there in the
                      > afternoon legally.
                      >
                      > Thomas
                      > --- Strine Jay <hundyff@... <hundyff%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                      >
                      > > but 5:00pm on the dot. We came out of Toulumne
                      > > Meadows and all could think about was the Grill. We
                      > > had on person who was tired and slow. We encouraged
                      > > him on and made it there at 5:10pm. The store was
                      > > still open, but not the grill. I was able to beg and
                      > > plead and they let me use the restroom before they
                      > > locked it up, but I could not order any food.

                      > > Be a better friend, newshound, and

                      Orange Design Inc.
                      Games - Tech - Art
                      2601 Mission Street #800