Re: Rookie needs help

  • tubirrb
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 17, 2007
      Kevin gave you the needed URLs. Now let me make some suggestions.

      1) Start at Tuolomne Meadows and hike DOWN to Yosemite Valley.
      You'll face a 1400 foot uphill right off the bat, then it's all
      downhill to Yosemite Valley. You can do it in 2, but allow three
      days to cover the 22 miles. Camp at the end of Long Meadow, about
      0.5 mile past the High Sierra camp and again at the backpackers'
      campground in Little Yosemite Valley. It will take you less than
      half a day to make it down into the tourist-rich Yosemite Valley
      where you can easily re-supply at the various stores and
      mountaineering shops, eat at the restaurants, or pick up a re-supply
      box at the post office so you don't have to wait until the Tuolomne
      Meadows post office opens in the morning. Catch the 5:00 pm YARTS
      bus at the Yosemite Valley Visitors' Center back to TM. Spend the
      night at the TM backpackers' campground and head south over Donohue
      Pass early the next morning. Bottom line - it's a lot easier going
      DOWN 6000 feet than up. Once you see the trail itself, you'll be
      very glad you did, especially if it's hot.

      You can re-supply easily at the store at Red's Meadow resort. They
      carry hiker supplies including dehydrated meals and other foods the
      campground crowd requires. Alternatively, catch the $14 shuttle from
      the resort to Mammoth Mtn Inn and the free shuttle into Mammoth
      Lakes. Stay overnight at a local motel (the Shilo Inn is very nice),
      re-supply at the many markets and mountaineering shops, the return
      to Red's Mdw and hit the trail. Alternatively, send yourself a re-
      supply package to the store for $25 and go on.

      There is really no need to re-supply again before you reach Bishop
      Pass trail junction. It is only about 77 miles (7 days). It's
      another 13.5 miles over Bishop Pass to South Lake where I assume
      you'll have transport waiting.

      If you really want a re-supply before then, it's a toss-up between
      Vermillion Valley and Muir Trail Ranch; definitely not both. VVR is
      30 miles south (3 days) of Red's Mdw but is a true resort with tent
      cabins, showers, and much cheaper re-supply package service. The
      restuarant is expensive and you'll be lucky to get out of there for
      less than $150 when you add in the $18 round-trip fare for the water
      taxi between the trailhead and the resort. The disadvantage is that
      you'll have to climb the 56 switchbacks up to Bear Ridge with a full
      pack.

      Muir Trail Ranch is 21 miles further south and charges $50 for your
      re-supply bucket and there are no op[tions if something goes amiss
      there. You can not stay overnight, buy a meal or shower; all you can
      get is your bucket and shop at their tiny store for fuel, film, and
      tourista supplies. The advantage is you get to make the climb up
      Bear Ridge without a full pack. Either way, you'll still face the
      4000 foot climb to Muir Pass and the 4000 foot descent to the Bishop
      Pass trail junction.

      If you can handle the weight, I'd suggest skipping both VVR and MTR
      and just push on through the 90 miles from Red's Meadow to your car
      at South Lake trailhead. It's your money, your hike, and your choice.

      Wandering Bob
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 18, 2007
        How many miles is it from Trail Beginning (is that Happy Isles) to trailhead exit near Bishop?

        I'm looking to do, with 2 others, a 15-16 day hike (about 10 miles a day) on the JMT and have thought of doing eitheri Toulumne Meadows to Independence or Reds Meadows to Whitney Portal, but have not thought of other similar length JMT sections so I'm curious about your plan.

        Of all the 15-16 day hikes one can do, I'm curious which 15-16 day segments have best interspersed resupply points, best scenery, easy to/from transportation (we'll have one car and need to find transportation to other end), without the first day encountering high altitude -- like the idea of the first 1-2 days being under 10,000 feet if possible.

        Also, what is the longest segment in miles between available water on the JMT?

        Thanks!

      • Strine Jay
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 19, 2007
          The only information I can offer is from our trip this
          year. We went from Devil's Postpile (or Reds Meadow)
          to Happy Isles. It took us 5 days. We did a detour
          on the last day and climbed Half Dome.
          We moved at a pretty fast pace and did 10 to 17 miles
          a day. The water was very plentiful from Mammouth to
          Toulumne Meadows. From the Meadows to Happy Isles the
          water was very scarce. This however, is not the norm,
          they had been experiencing a drought.
          From what I can tell starting at Happy Isles would
          probably add a day. From Sunrise camp to Happy Isles
          is all up hill. Most people went from Happy Isles to
          Sunrise Camp, which was closed due to drought
          conditions this year.
          Well I hope this gives you some insight. I plan to do
          a portion of the JMT again in 2008, I am not sure
          which area yet. One other bit of information, there
          is a store and a grill at Toulumne Meadows you will
          pass on the way, they close at 5:00pm not 5:01 or 5:05
          but 5:00pm on the dot. We came out of Toulumne
          Meadows and all could think about was the Grill. We
          had on person who was tired and slow. We encouraged
          him on and made it there at 5:10pm. The store was
          still open, but not the grill. I was able to beg and
          plead and they let me use the restroom before they
          locked it up, but I could not order any food.

          Good luck.

          Jay Strine

          Be a better friend, newshound, and
        • Bob Bankhead
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 19, 2007
            Actually, from Sunrise High Sierra Camp (9320') to Happy Isles (4035') is mostly all DOWNHILL.

            Sunrise was open when I went through this August, but they had to pack in all their water, which they reserved for their guests and staff. It's true that water was scarce this year between Happy Isle and Tuolumne Meadows, but we had no problems. We got water at Upper Cathedral Lake, from a deep pool in a creek bed south of Long Meadow, and again from the Mercedd River at Little Yosemite Valley. From there, you essentially follow the river down to the valley so water is easy to come by.

            Jay is correct; you can set your watch by the opening and closing of the Tuolumne Grill. It's all business and virtually zero customer concern - stand in line, place your order, pay, get your food, get out and make room for other customers. The store is friendly and open longer. We got there on the 7 pm YARTS bus from the Valley, and it was still going strong, but I've forgotten just when it does close.

            Wandering Bob

          • Ken
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 19, 2007
              My group started the JMT 8/31 from Happy Isle heading south. We were told, by several park rangers, that there was no reliable sources of water except approximate 1/2 mile past the turn off to Half Dome. I believe that was Sunrise Creek. We all loaded up there so we would have enough water to make it to Tuolumne Meadows, but that was not necessary. Between Sunrise Creek and Sunrise (High Sierra Camp) we came across no less than 4 filterable water sources. I guess we played it safe, but that was a lot of water to haul UPHILL that was not necessary. Point being get real time info. especially from other hikers going in the other direction when possible. The tap at Sunrise was capped when we arrived and the general store was also closed until later that day, so no hot cocoa for us. We pressed onto Toulumne Meadows and that was one good cheeseburger! Make sure you arrive by 5 p.m. or no cheeseburger for you!

[...]

              <!--

              #ygrp-mkp{
              #ygrp-mkp hr{
              border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
              #ygrp-mkp #hd{
              #ygrp-mkp #ads{
              margin-bottom:10px;}
              #ygrp-mkp .ad{
              padding:0 0;}
              #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
              color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
              -->

              <!--

              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
              font-family:Arial;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
              margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
              -->

              <!--

              #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
              #ygrp-text{
              font-family:Georgia;
              }
              #ygrp-text p{
              margin:0 0 1em 0;}
              #ygrp-tpmsgs{
              font-family:Arial;
              clear:both;}
              #ygrp-vitnav{
              #ygrp-vitnav a{
              padding:0 1px;}
              #ygrp-actbar{
              #ygrp-actbar .left{
              float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
              .bld{font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-grft{
              #ygrp-ft{
              padding:5px 0;
              }
              #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
              padding-bottom:10px;}

              #ygrp-vital{
              #ygrp-vital #vithd{
              #ygrp-vital ul{
              padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
              #ygrp-vital ul li{
              }
              #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
              #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
              font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-vital a{
              text-decoration:none;}

              #ygrp-vital a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;}

              #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
              color:#999;font-size:77%;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
              padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
              text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
              padding:8px 0;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
              text-decoration:none;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
              margin:0;}
              o{font-size:0;}
              .MsoNormal{
              margin:0 0 0 0;}
              #ygrp-text tt{
              font-size:120%;}
              blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
              .replbq{margin:4;}
              -->

            • Jay Strine
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 20, 2007
                I am sorry I wrote that backwards. I stated put starting at Happy
                Isles adds a day. I ment to write Happy Isles to Sunrise is uphill.
                Sorry I wrote that in a rush, I was at work. Thank you for pointing
                that out, my intention was not to miss inform anyone.

                Thank you,
                Jay Strine
                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bankhead"
                <wandering_bob@...> wrote:

                > Actually, from Sunrise High Sierra Camp (9320') to Happy Isles
                (4035') is mostly all DOWNHILL.

                > Sunrise was open when I went through this August, but they had to
                pack in all their water, which they reserved for their guests and
                staff. It's true that water was scarce this year between Happy Isle
                and Tuolumne Meadows, but we had no problems. We got water at Upper
                Cathedral Lake, from a deep pool in a creek bed south of Long Meadow,
                and again from the Mercedd River at Little Yosemite Valley. From
                there, you essentially follow the river down to the valley so water
                is easy to come by.

                > Jay is correct; you can set your watch by the opening and closing
                of the Tuolumne Grill. It's all business and virtually zero customer
                concern - stand in line, place your order, pay, get your food, get
                out and make room for other customers. The store is friendly and open
                longer. We got there on the 7 pm YARTS bus from the Valley, and it
                was still going strong, but I've forgotten just when it does close.

                > Wandering Bob

              • thomas taylor
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 20, 2007
                  Jay,

                  Nearby is the Toulumne Resort where there is a store
                  and, better, a RESTAURANT that serves supper until 9PM
                  - about $10/head if I remember correctly. Way better
                  than the grill IMO. It near the backpacker permit
                  station and parking lot. YARTS goes there and you can
                  always hitch a ride but it's not more than a mile from
                  the blacktop. You can also shower there in the
                  afternoon legally.

                  Thomas
                  --- Strine Jay <hundyff@...> wrote:

                  > but 5:00pm on the dot. We came out of Toulumne
                  > Meadows and all could think about was the Grill. We
                  > had on person who was tired and slow. We encouraged
                  > him on and made it there at 5:10pm. The store was
                  > still open, but not the grill. I was able to beg and
                  > plead and they let me use the restroom before they
                  > locked it up, but I could not order any food.

                  > Be a better friend, newshound, and

                • Brian O'Kelly
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 20, 2007
                    thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...> wrote: Jay,

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 20, 2007
                      Here is the new and improved JMT profile. It will print on three sheets of legal size paper if you have software to tile print. I made this to put on my wall for inspiration.

                      http://www.centralcoastvwclub.com/jmtlarge21day.gif

                      Have fun,
                      Brian

                      --- Strine Jay <hundyff@...> wrote:

                      > but 5:00pm on the dot. We came out of Toulumne
                      > Meadows and all could think about was the Grill. We
                      > had on person who was tired and slow. We encouraged
                      > him on and made it there at 5:10pm. The store was
                      > still open, but not the grill. I was able to beg and
                      > plead and they let me use the restroom before they
                      > locked it up, but I could not order any food.

                      > Be a better friend, newshound, and

                    • Fred Sharples
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 20, 2007
                        I stayed the the Tuolumne Meadows Resort last June to duck out of a
                        snowstorm on my JMT trip <http://fredsharples.com/jmt.html>. Dinner prices
                        have gone way up. (around $20-25) Superb food though. I was grateful to get
                        a wood stove and a good meal, rather than ride out the storm in my solo
                        tent.
                        You can use the hot showers there for a small fee during the mid day hours,
                        even if you are not staying there.

                        Quake
                        http://biggestroom.com

                        On 12/20/07, Brian O'Kelly <losthillsguy@...> wrote:

                        > thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@... <tgtaylor7%40yahoo.com>> wrote: Jay,
                        >
                        > Nearby is the Toulumne Resort where there is a store
                        > and, better, a RESTAURANT that serves supper until 9PM
                        > - about $10/head if I remember correctly. Way better
                        > than the grill IMO. It near the backpacker permit
                        > station and parking lot. YARTS goes there and you can
                        > always hitch a ride but it's not more than a mile from
                        > the blacktop. You can also shower there in the
                        > afternoon legally.
                        >
                        > Thomas
                        > --- Strine Jay <hundyff@... <hundyff%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                        >
                        > > but 5:00pm on the dot. We came out of Toulumne
                        > > Meadows and all could think about was the Grill. We
                        > > had on person who was tired and slow. We encouraged
                        > > him on and made it there at 5:10pm. The store was
                        > > still open, but not the grill. I was able to beg and
                        > > plead and they let me use the restroom before they
                        > > locked it up, but I could not order any food.

                        > > Be a better friend, newshound, and

                        Orange Design Inc.
                        Games - Tech - Art
                        2601 Mission Street #800