Re: Rookie needs help

  • Kevin Aston
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 17, 2007
      Coming out South Lake like you are talking leave you about 20 miles
      from Bishop, with no phones or public transport. I am going in over
      Piute Pass, North Lake, 2008 and going to the Portal. I came out
      there last year and had a hard time getting to Bishop. 08 we are
      towing a car to leave at the portal and then driving to the trailhead
      west of Bishop, then picking that car up on our way back home to
      Utah.
      As far as resupply, each of the places you mentioned are about 2-6
      days of hiking to get to the next one if you cover 10-15 miles a day.
      There is a post office at Tuolumne Meadows that you can mail yourself
      a package to. The address is.
      Your name
      C/O General Delivery
      Tuolumne Meadows
      Yosemite, CA 95389

      Reds charges a fee of $25 a box, plus you have postage, to get you
      things to the General Store.

      Red's Meadow Resort and Pack Station
      P.O. Box 395
      Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546
      FAX: 760-872-4940

      Vermillion http://www.edisonlake.com/resupply.htm charges $15 a box
      plus you have to hike 4 miles round trip out of your way, and pay $10
      for a ferry ride to get there.
      U.S. Mail:
      Vermilion Valley Resort
      P.O. Box 258
      Lakeshore, Ca. 93634

      UPS
      Vermilion Valley Resort
      C/o Rancheria Garage
      Huntington Lake Road
      Lakeshore, CA 93634

      Muir Ranch http://www.muirtrailranch.com/resupply.html charges ~$50
      per 5 gallon bucket of stuff, plus the postage to send it priority
      mail, plus it add about 1 1/2 miles to your hike.

      If it were me doing it again, I would take as little as possible (3
      days) from the Valley up the big uphill to Tuolumne Meadows, 4 days
      worth of stuff from there to Reds, then 5-6 days worth of stuff to
      Muir Ranch, then 5-6 days worth of stuff for over Muir Pass, Bishop
      Pass and out to Bishop. If you want to go to Vermillion, go for it,
      but it kills the best part of a day with no progress. Muir you go in
      on the north east and out to the south so you don't repeat 2 miles of
      trail like you do going to Vermillion. I've done it both ways. I
      also like to fish along the way and suplement my diet that way.

      It's worth it.
      Kevin Aston

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Goodlander"
      <bgoodlander@...> wrote:

      > I am planning on hiking the JMT this coming summer from Yosemite to
      just
      > south of Muir Pass. This will be the first time I am on a trek
      where I need
      > to send a food cache ahead. I was hoping to use the following
      pickup sites:
      > Tuolumne Meadows, Reds Meadows, Vermillion Valley Resort, and Muir
      Ranch. I
      > have lots of questions: (1) How do I send these items? (2) What
      addresses?
      > (3) How far in advance? (4) Is there a cost involved? Any help
      would be
      > appreciated - Brian

    • tubirrb
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 17, 2007
        Kevin gave you the needed URLs. Now let me make some suggestions.

        1) Start at Tuolomne Meadows and hike DOWN to Yosemite Valley.
        You'll face a 1400 foot uphill right off the bat, then it's all
        downhill to Yosemite Valley. You can do it in 2, but allow three
        days to cover the 22 miles. Camp at the end of Long Meadow, about
        0.5 mile past the High Sierra camp and again at the backpackers'
        campground in Little Yosemite Valley. It will take you less than
        half a day to make it down into the tourist-rich Yosemite Valley
        where you can easily re-supply at the various stores and
        mountaineering shops, eat at the restaurants, or pick up a re-supply
        box at the post office so you don't have to wait until the Tuolomne
        Meadows post office opens in the morning. Catch the 5:00 pm YARTS
        bus at the Yosemite Valley Visitors' Center back to TM. Spend the
        night at the TM backpackers' campground and head south over Donohue
        Pass early the next morning. Bottom line - it's a lot easier going
        DOWN 6000 feet than up. Once you see the trail itself, you'll be
        very glad you did, especially if it's hot.

        You can re-supply easily at the store at Red's Meadow resort. They
        carry hiker supplies including dehydrated meals and other foods the
        campground crowd requires. Alternatively, catch the $14 shuttle from
        the resort to Mammoth Mtn Inn and the free shuttle into Mammoth
        Lakes. Stay overnight at a local motel (the Shilo Inn is very nice),
        re-supply at the many markets and mountaineering shops, the return
        to Red's Mdw and hit the trail. Alternatively, send yourself a re-
        supply package to the store for $25 and go on.

        There is really no need to re-supply again before you reach Bishop
        Pass trail junction. It is only about 77 miles (7 days). It's
        another 13.5 miles over Bishop Pass to South Lake where I assume
        you'll have transport waiting.

        If you really want a re-supply before then, it's a toss-up between
        Vermillion Valley and Muir Trail Ranch; definitely not both. VVR is
        30 miles south (3 days) of Red's Mdw but is a true resort with tent
        cabins, showers, and much cheaper re-supply package service. The
        restuarant is expensive and you'll be lucky to get out of there for
        less than $150 when you add in the $18 round-trip fare for the water
        taxi between the trailhead and the resort. The disadvantage is that
        you'll have to climb the 56 switchbacks up to Bear Ridge with a full
        pack.

        Muir Trail Ranch is 21 miles further south and charges $50 for your
        re-supply bucket and there are no op[tions if something goes amiss
        there. You can not stay overnight, buy a meal or shower; all you can
        get is your bucket and shop at their tiny store for fuel, film, and
        tourista supplies. The advantage is you get to make the climb up
        Bear Ridge without a full pack. Either way, you'll still face the
        4000 foot climb to Muir Pass and the 4000 foot descent to the Bishop
        Pass trail junction.

        If you can handle the weight, I'd suggest skipping both VVR and MTR
        and just push on through the 90 miles from Red's Meadow to your car
        at South Lake trailhead. It's your money, your hike, and your choice.

        Wandering Bob
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 18, 2007
          How many miles is it from Trail Beginning (is that Happy Isles) to trailhead exit near Bishop?

          I'm looking to do, with 2 others, a 15-16 day hike (about 10 miles a day) on the JMT and have thought of doing eitheri Toulumne Meadows to Independence or Reds Meadows to Whitney Portal, but have not thought of other similar length JMT sections so I'm curious about your plan.

          Of all the 15-16 day hikes one can do, I'm curious which 15-16 day segments have best interspersed resupply points, best scenery, easy to/from transportation (we'll have one car and need to find transportation to other end), without the first day encountering high altitude -- like the idea of the first 1-2 days being under 10,000 feet if possible.

          Also, what is the longest segment in miles between available water on the JMT?

          Thanks!

        • Strine Jay
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 19, 2007
            The only information I can offer is from our trip this
            year. We went from Devil's Postpile (or Reds Meadow)
            to Happy Isles. It took us 5 days. We did a detour
            on the last day and climbed Half Dome.
            We moved at a pretty fast pace and did 10 to 17 miles
            a day. The water was very plentiful from Mammouth to
            Toulumne Meadows. From the Meadows to Happy Isles the
            water was very scarce. This however, is not the norm,
            they had been experiencing a drought.
            From what I can tell starting at Happy Isles would
            probably add a day. From Sunrise camp to Happy Isles
            is all up hill. Most people went from Happy Isles to
            Sunrise Camp, which was closed due to drought
            conditions this year.
            Well I hope this gives you some insight. I plan to do
            a portion of the JMT again in 2008, I am not sure
            which area yet. One other bit of information, there
            is a store and a grill at Toulumne Meadows you will
            pass on the way, they close at 5:00pm not 5:01 or 5:05
            but 5:00pm on the dot. We came out of Toulumne
            Meadows and all could think about was the Grill. We
            had on person who was tired and slow. We encouraged
            him on and made it there at 5:10pm. The store was
            still open, but not the grill. I was able to beg and
            plead and they let me use the restroom before they
            locked it up, but I could not order any food.

            Good luck.

            Jay Strine

            Be a better friend, newshound, and
          • Bob Bankhead
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 19, 2007
              Actually, from Sunrise High Sierra Camp (9320') to Happy Isles (4035') is mostly all DOWNHILL.

              Sunrise was open when I went through this August, but they had to pack in all their water, which they reserved for their guests and staff. It's true that water was scarce this year between Happy Isle and Tuolumne Meadows, but we had no problems. We got water at Upper Cathedral Lake, from a deep pool in a creek bed south of Long Meadow, and again from the Mercedd River at Little Yosemite Valley. From there, you essentially follow the river down to the valley so water is easy to come by.

              Jay is correct; you can set your watch by the opening and closing of the Tuolumne Grill. It's all business and virtually zero customer concern - stand in line, place your order, pay, get your food, get out and make room for other customers. The store is friendly and open longer. We got there on the 7 pm YARTS bus from the Valley, and it was still going strong, but I've forgotten just when it does close.

              Wandering Bob

            • Ken
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 19, 2007
                My group started the JMT 8/31 from Happy Isle heading south. We were told, by several park rangers, that there was no reliable sources of water except approximate 1/2 mile past the turn off to Half Dome. I believe that was Sunrise Creek. We all loaded up there so we would have enough water to make it to Tuolumne Meadows, but that was not necessary. Between Sunrise Creek and Sunrise (High Sierra Camp) we came across no less than 4 filterable water sources. I guess we played it safe, but that was a lot of water to haul UPHILL that was not necessary. Point being get real time info. especially from other hikers going in the other direction when possible. The tap at Sunrise was capped when we arrived and the general store was also closed until later that day, so no hot cocoa for us. We pressed onto Toulumne Meadows and that was one good cheeseburger! Make sure you arrive by 5 p.m. or no cheeseburger for you!

[...]

                <!--

                #ygrp-mkp{
                #ygrp-mkp hr{
                border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
                #ygrp-mkp #hd{
                #ygrp-mkp #ads{
                margin-bottom:10px;}
                #ygrp-mkp .ad{
                padding:0 0;}
                #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
                color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
                -->

                <!--

                #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
                font-family:Arial;}
                #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
                #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
                margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
                -->

                <!--

                #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                #ygrp-text{
                font-family:Georgia;
                }
                #ygrp-text p{
                margin:0 0 1em 0;}
                #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                font-family:Arial;
                clear:both;}
                #ygrp-vitnav{
                #ygrp-vitnav a{
                padding:0 1px;}
                #ygrp-actbar{
                #ygrp-actbar .left{
                float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
                .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                #ygrp-grft{
                #ygrp-ft{
                padding:5px 0;
                }
                #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                padding-bottom:10px;}

                #ygrp-vital{
                #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                #ygrp-vital ul{
                padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
                #ygrp-vital ul li{
                }
                #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                font-weight:bold;}
                #ygrp-vital a{
                text-decoration:none;}

                #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                text-decoration:underline;}

                #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                padding:8px 0;}
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                text-decoration:none;}
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                text-decoration:underline;}
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                margin:0;}
                o{font-size:0;}
                .MsoNormal{
                margin:0 0 0 0;}
                #ygrp-text tt{
                font-size:120%;}
                blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                .replbq{margin:4;}
                -->

              • Jay Strine
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 20, 2007
                  I am sorry I wrote that backwards. I stated put starting at Happy
                  Isles adds a day. I ment to write Happy Isles to Sunrise is uphill.
                  Sorry I wrote that in a rush, I was at work. Thank you for pointing
                  that out, my intention was not to miss inform anyone.

                  Thank you,
                  Jay Strine
                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bankhead"
                  <wandering_bob@...> wrote:

                  > Actually, from Sunrise High Sierra Camp (9320') to Happy Isles
                  (4035') is mostly all DOWNHILL.

                  > Sunrise was open when I went through this August, but they had to
                  pack in all their water, which they reserved for their guests and
                  staff. It's true that water was scarce this year between Happy Isle
                  and Tuolumne Meadows, but we had no problems. We got water at Upper
                  Cathedral Lake, from a deep pool in a creek bed south of Long Meadow,
                  and again from the Mercedd River at Little Yosemite Valley. From
                  there, you essentially follow the river down to the valley so water
                  is easy to come by.

                  > Jay is correct; you can set your watch by the opening and closing
                  of the Tuolumne Grill. It's all business and virtually zero customer
                  concern - stand in line, place your order, pay, get your food, get
                  out and make room for other customers. The store is friendly and open
                  longer. We got there on the 7 pm YARTS bus from the Valley, and it
                  was still going strong, but I've forgotten just when it does close.

                  > Wandering Bob

                • thomas taylor
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 20, 2007
                    Jay,

                    Nearby is the Toulumne Resort where there is a store
                    and, better, a RESTAURANT that serves supper until 9PM
                    - about $10/head if I remember correctly. Way better
                    than the grill IMO. It near the backpacker permit
                    station and parking lot. YARTS goes there and you can
                    always hitch a ride but it's not more than a mile from
                    the blacktop. You can also shower there in the
                    afternoon legally.

                    Thomas
                    --- Strine Jay <hundyff@...> wrote:

                    > but 5:00pm on the dot. We came out of Toulumne
                    > Meadows and all could think about was the Grill. We
                    > had on person who was tired and slow. We encouraged
                    > him on and made it there at 5:10pm. The store was
                    > still open, but not the grill. I was able to beg and
                    > plead and they let me use the restroom before they
                    > locked it up, but I could not order any food.

                    > Be a better friend, newshound, and

                  • Brian O'Kelly
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 20, 2007
                      thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...> wrote: Jay,

                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 20, 2007
                        Here is the new and improved JMT profile. It will print on three sheets of legal size paper if you have software to tile print. I made this to put on my wall for inspiration.

                        http://www.centralcoastvwclub.com/jmtlarge21day.gif

                        Have fun,
                        Brian

                        --- Strine Jay <hundyff@...> wrote:

                        > but 5:00pm on the dot. We came out of Toulumne
                        > Meadows and all could think about was the Grill. We
                        > had on person who was tired and slow. We encouraged
                        > him on and made it there at 5:10pm. The store was
                        > still open, but not the grill. I was able to beg and
                        > plead and they let me use the restroom before they
                        > locked it up, but I could not order any food.

                        > Be a better friend, newshound, and

                      • Fred Sharples
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 20, 2007
                          I stayed the the Tuolumne Meadows Resort last June to duck out of a
                          snowstorm on my JMT trip <http://fredsharples.com/jmt.html>. Dinner prices
                          have gone way up. (around $20-25) Superb food though. I was grateful to get
                          a wood stove and a good meal, rather than ride out the storm in my solo
                          tent.
                          You can use the hot showers there for a small fee during the mid day hours,
                          even if you are not staying there.

                          Quake
                          http://biggestroom.com

                          On 12/20/07, Brian O'Kelly <losthillsguy@...> wrote:

                          > thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@... <tgtaylor7%40yahoo.com>> wrote: Jay,
                          >
                          > Nearby is the Toulumne Resort where there is a store
                          > and, better, a RESTAURANT that serves supper until 9PM
                          > - about $10/head if I remember correctly. Way better
                          > than the grill IMO. It near the backpacker permit
                          > station and parking lot. YARTS goes there and you can
                          > always hitch a ride but it's not more than a mile from
                          > the blacktop. You can also shower there in the
                          > afternoon legally.
                          >
                          > Thomas
                          > --- Strine Jay <hundyff@... <hundyff%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                          >
                          > > but 5:00pm on the dot. We came out of Toulumne
                          > > Meadows and all could think about was the Grill. We
                          > > had on person who was tired and slow. We encouraged
                          > > him on and made it there at 5:10pm. The store was
                          > > still open, but not the grill. I was able to beg and
                          > > plead and they let me use the restroom before they
                          > > locked it up, but I could not order any food.

                          > > Be a better friend, newshound, and

                          Orange Design Inc.
                          Games - Tech - Art
                          2601 Mission Street #800