Rookie needs help

  • Brian Goodlander
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 17, 2007
      I am planning on hiking the JMT this coming summer from Yosemite to just
      south of Muir Pass. This will be the first time I am on a trek where I need
      to send a food cache ahead. I was hoping to use the following pickup sites:
      Tuolumne Meadows, Reds Meadows, Vermillion Valley Resort, and Muir Ranch. I
      have lots of questions: (1) How do I send these items? (2) What addresses?
      (3) How far in advance? (4) Is there a cost involved? Any help would be
      appreciated - Brian

    • Kevin Aston
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 17, 2007
        Coming out South Lake like you are talking leave you about 20 miles
        from Bishop, with no phones or public transport. I am going in over
        Piute Pass, North Lake, 2008 and going to the Portal. I came out
        there last year and had a hard time getting to Bishop. 08 we are
        towing a car to leave at the portal and then driving to the trailhead
        west of Bishop, then picking that car up on our way back home to
        Utah.
        As far as resupply, each of the places you mentioned are about 2-6
        days of hiking to get to the next one if you cover 10-15 miles a day.
        There is a post office at Tuolumne Meadows that you can mail yourself
        a package to. The address is.
        Your name
        C/O General Delivery
        Tuolumne Meadows
        Yosemite, CA 95389

        Reds charges a fee of $25 a box, plus you have postage, to get you
        things to the General Store.

        Red's Meadow Resort and Pack Station
        P.O. Box 395
        Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546
        FAX: 760-872-4940

        Vermillion http://www.edisonlake.com/resupply.htm charges $15 a box
        plus you have to hike 4 miles round trip out of your way, and pay $10
        for a ferry ride to get there.
        U.S. Mail:
        Vermilion Valley Resort
        P.O. Box 258
        Lakeshore, Ca. 93634

        UPS
        Vermilion Valley Resort
        C/o Rancheria Garage
        Huntington Lake Road
        Lakeshore, CA 93634

        Muir Ranch http://www.muirtrailranch.com/resupply.html charges ~$50
        per 5 gallon bucket of stuff, plus the postage to send it priority
        mail, plus it add about 1 1/2 miles to your hike.

        If it were me doing it again, I would take as little as possible (3
        days) from the Valley up the big uphill to Tuolumne Meadows, 4 days
        worth of stuff from there to Reds, then 5-6 days worth of stuff to
        Muir Ranch, then 5-6 days worth of stuff for over Muir Pass, Bishop
        Pass and out to Bishop. If you want to go to Vermillion, go for it,
        but it kills the best part of a day with no progress. Muir you go in
        on the north east and out to the south so you don't repeat 2 miles of
        trail like you do going to Vermillion. I've done it both ways. I
        also like to fish along the way and suplement my diet that way.

        It's worth it.
        Kevin Aston

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Goodlander"
        <bgoodlander@...> wrote:

        > I am planning on hiking the JMT this coming summer from Yosemite to
        just
        > south of Muir Pass. This will be the first time I am on a trek
        where I need
        > to send a food cache ahead. I was hoping to use the following
        pickup sites:
        > Tuolumne Meadows, Reds Meadows, Vermillion Valley Resort, and Muir
        Ranch. I
        > have lots of questions: (1) How do I send these items? (2) What
        addresses?
        > (3) How far in advance? (4) Is there a cost involved? Any help
        would be
        > appreciated - Brian

      • tubirrb
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 17, 2007
          Kevin gave you the needed URLs. Now let me make some suggestions.

          1) Start at Tuolomne Meadows and hike DOWN to Yosemite Valley.
          You'll face a 1400 foot uphill right off the bat, then it's all
          downhill to Yosemite Valley. You can do it in 2, but allow three
          days to cover the 22 miles. Camp at the end of Long Meadow, about
          0.5 mile past the High Sierra camp and again at the backpackers'
          campground in Little Yosemite Valley. It will take you less than
          half a day to make it down into the tourist-rich Yosemite Valley
          where you can easily re-supply at the various stores and
          mountaineering shops, eat at the restaurants, or pick up a re-supply
          box at the post office so you don't have to wait until the Tuolomne
          Meadows post office opens in the morning. Catch the 5:00 pm YARTS
          bus at the Yosemite Valley Visitors' Center back to TM. Spend the
          night at the TM backpackers' campground and head south over Donohue
          Pass early the next morning. Bottom line - it's a lot easier going
          DOWN 6000 feet than up. Once you see the trail itself, you'll be
          very glad you did, especially if it's hot.

          You can re-supply easily at the store at Red's Meadow resort. They
          carry hiker supplies including dehydrated meals and other foods the
          campground crowd requires. Alternatively, catch the $14 shuttle from
          the resort to Mammoth Mtn Inn and the free shuttle into Mammoth
          Lakes. Stay overnight at a local motel (the Shilo Inn is very nice),
          re-supply at the many markets and mountaineering shops, the return
          to Red's Mdw and hit the trail. Alternatively, send yourself a re-
          supply package to the store for $25 and go on.

          There is really no need to re-supply again before you reach Bishop
          Pass trail junction. It is only about 77 miles (7 days). It's
          another 13.5 miles over Bishop Pass to South Lake where I assume
          you'll have transport waiting.

          If you really want a re-supply before then, it's a toss-up between
          Vermillion Valley and Muir Trail Ranch; definitely not both. VVR is
          30 miles south (3 days) of Red's Mdw but is a true resort with tent
          cabins, showers, and much cheaper re-supply package service. The
          restuarant is expensive and you'll be lucky to get out of there for
          less than $150 when you add in the $18 round-trip fare for the water
          taxi between the trailhead and the resort. The disadvantage is that
          you'll have to climb the 56 switchbacks up to Bear Ridge with a full
          pack.

          Muir Trail Ranch is 21 miles further south and charges $50 for your
          re-supply bucket and there are no op[tions if something goes amiss
          there. You can not stay overnight, buy a meal or shower; all you can
          get is your bucket and shop at their tiny store for fuel, film, and
          tourista supplies. The advantage is you get to make the climb up
          Bear Ridge without a full pack. Either way, you'll still face the
          4000 foot climb to Muir Pass and the 4000 foot descent to the Bishop
          Pass trail junction.

          If you can handle the weight, I'd suggest skipping both VVR and MTR
          and just push on through the 90 miles from Red's Meadow to your car
          at South Lake trailhead. It's your money, your hike, and your choice.

          Wandering Bob
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 18, 2007
            How many miles is it from Trail Beginning (is that Happy Isles) to trailhead exit near Bishop?

            I'm looking to do, with 2 others, a 15-16 day hike (about 10 miles a day) on the JMT and have thought of doing eitheri Toulumne Meadows to Independence or Reds Meadows to Whitney Portal, but have not thought of other similar length JMT sections so I'm curious about your plan.

            Of all the 15-16 day hikes one can do, I'm curious which 15-16 day segments have best interspersed resupply points, best scenery, easy to/from transportation (we'll have one car and need to find transportation to other end), without the first day encountering high altitude -- like the idea of the first 1-2 days being under 10,000 feet if possible.

            Also, what is the longest segment in miles between available water on the JMT?

            Thanks!

          • Strine Jay
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 19, 2007
              The only information I can offer is from our trip this
              year. We went from Devil's Postpile (or Reds Meadow)
              to Happy Isles. It took us 5 days. We did a detour
              on the last day and climbed Half Dome.
              We moved at a pretty fast pace and did 10 to 17 miles
              a day. The water was very plentiful from Mammouth to
              Toulumne Meadows. From the Meadows to Happy Isles the
              water was very scarce. This however, is not the norm,
              they had been experiencing a drought.
              From what I can tell starting at Happy Isles would
              probably add a day. From Sunrise camp to Happy Isles
              is all up hill. Most people went from Happy Isles to
              Sunrise Camp, which was closed due to drought
              conditions this year.
              Well I hope this gives you some insight. I plan to do
              a portion of the JMT again in 2008, I am not sure
              which area yet. One other bit of information, there
              is a store and a grill at Toulumne Meadows you will
              pass on the way, they close at 5:00pm not 5:01 or 5:05
              but 5:00pm on the dot. We came out of Toulumne
              Meadows and all could think about was the Grill. We
              had on person who was tired and slow. We encouraged
              him on and made it there at 5:10pm. The store was
              still open, but not the grill. I was able to beg and
              plead and they let me use the restroom before they
              locked it up, but I could not order any food.

              Good luck.

              Jay Strine

              Be a better friend, newshound, and
            • Bob Bankhead
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 19, 2007
                Actually, from Sunrise High Sierra Camp (9320') to Happy Isles (4035') is mostly all DOWNHILL.

                Sunrise was open when I went through this August, but they had to pack in all their water, which they reserved for their guests and staff. It's true that water was scarce this year between Happy Isle and Tuolumne Meadows, but we had no problems. We got water at Upper Cathedral Lake, from a deep pool in a creek bed south of Long Meadow, and again from the Mercedd River at Little Yosemite Valley. From there, you essentially follow the river down to the valley so water is easy to come by.

                Jay is correct; you can set your watch by the opening and closing of the Tuolumne Grill. It's all business and virtually zero customer concern - stand in line, place your order, pay, get your food, get out and make room for other customers. The store is friendly and open longer. We got there on the 7 pm YARTS bus from the Valley, and it was still going strong, but I've forgotten just when it does close.

                Wandering Bob

              • Ken
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 19, 2007
                  My group started the JMT 8/31 from Happy Isle heading south. We were told, by several park rangers, that there was no reliable sources of water except approximate 1/2 mile past the turn off to Half Dome. I believe that was Sunrise Creek. We all loaded up there so we would have enough water to make it to Tuolumne Meadows, but that was not necessary. Between Sunrise Creek and Sunrise (High Sierra Camp) we came across no less than 4 filterable water sources. I guess we played it safe, but that was a lot of water to haul UPHILL that was not necessary. Point being get real time info. especially from other hikers going in the other direction when possible. The tap at Sunrise was capped when we arrived and the general store was also closed until later that day, so no hot cocoa for us. We pressed onto Toulumne Meadows and that was one good cheeseburger! Make sure you arrive by 5 p.m. or no cheeseburger for you!

[...]

                  <!--

                  #ygrp-mkp{
                  #ygrp-mkp hr{
                  border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
                  #ygrp-mkp #hd{
                  #ygrp-mkp #ads{
                  margin-bottom:10px;}
                  #ygrp-mkp .ad{
                  padding:0 0;}
                  #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
                  color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
                  -->

                  <!--

                  #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
                  font-family:Arial;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
                  margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
                  -->

                  <!--

                  #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                  #ygrp-text{
                  font-family:Georgia;
                  }
                  #ygrp-text p{
                  margin:0 0 1em 0;}
                  #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                  font-family:Arial;
                  clear:both;}
                  #ygrp-vitnav{
                  #ygrp-vitnav a{
                  padding:0 1px;}
                  #ygrp-actbar{
                  #ygrp-actbar .left{
                  float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
                  .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                  #ygrp-grft{
                  #ygrp-ft{
                  padding:5px 0;
                  }
                  #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                  padding-bottom:10px;}

                  #ygrp-vital{
                  #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                  #ygrp-vital ul{
                  padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
                  #ygrp-vital ul li{
                  }
                  #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                  #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                  font-weight:bold;}
                  #ygrp-vital a{
                  text-decoration:none;}

                  #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                  text-decoration:underline;}

                  #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                  color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                  padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                  text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                  padding:8px 0;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                  text-decoration:none;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                  text-decoration:underline;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                  margin:0;}
                  o{font-size:0;}
                  .MsoNormal{
                  margin:0 0 0 0;}
                  #ygrp-text tt{
                  font-size:120%;}
                  blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                  .replbq{margin:4;}
                  -->

                • Jay Strine
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 20, 2007
                    I am sorry I wrote that backwards. I stated put starting at Happy
                    Isles adds a day. I ment to write Happy Isles to Sunrise is uphill.
                    Sorry I wrote that in a rush, I was at work. Thank you for pointing
                    that out, my intention was not to miss inform anyone.

                    Thank you,
                    Jay Strine
                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bankhead"
                    <wandering_bob@...> wrote:

                    > Actually, from Sunrise High Sierra Camp (9320') to Happy Isles
                    (4035') is mostly all DOWNHILL.

                    > Sunrise was open when I went through this August, but they had to
                    pack in all their water, which they reserved for their guests and
                    staff. It's true that water was scarce this year between Happy Isle
                    and Tuolumne Meadows, but we had no problems. We got water at Upper
                    Cathedral Lake, from a deep pool in a creek bed south of Long Meadow,
                    and again from the Mercedd River at Little Yosemite Valley. From
                    there, you essentially follow the river down to the valley so water
                    is easy to come by.

                    > Jay is correct; you can set your watch by the opening and closing
                    of the Tuolumne Grill. It's all business and virtually zero customer
                    concern - stand in line, place your order, pay, get your food, get
                    out and make room for other customers. The store is friendly and open
                    longer. We got there on the 7 pm YARTS bus from the Valley, and it
                    was still going strong, but I've forgotten just when it does close.

                    > Wandering Bob

                  • thomas taylor
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 20, 2007
                      Jay,

                      Nearby is the Toulumne Resort where there is a store
                      and, better, a RESTAURANT that serves supper until 9PM
                      - about $10/head if I remember correctly. Way better
                      than the grill IMO. It near the backpacker permit
                      station and parking lot. YARTS goes there and you can
                      always hitch a ride but it's not more than a mile from
                      the blacktop. You can also shower there in the
                      afternoon legally.

                      Thomas
                      --- Strine Jay <hundyff@...> wrote:

                      > but 5:00pm on the dot. We came out of Toulumne
                      > Meadows and all could think about was the Grill. We
                      > had on person who was tired and slow. We encouraged
                      > him on and made it there at 5:10pm. The store was
                      > still open, but not the grill. I was able to beg and
                      > plead and they let me use the restroom before they
                      > locked it up, but I could not order any food.

                      > Be a better friend, newshound, and

                    • Brian O'Kelly
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 20, 2007
                        thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...> wrote: Jay,

                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 20, 2007
                          Here is the new and improved JMT profile. It will print on three sheets of legal size paper if you have software to tile print. I made this to put on my wall for inspiration.

                          http://www.centralcoastvwclub.com/jmtlarge21day.gif

                          Have fun,
                          Brian

                          --- Strine Jay <hundyff@...> wrote:

                          > but 5:00pm on the dot. We came out of Toulumne
                          > Meadows and all could think about was the Grill. We
                          > had on person who was tired and slow. We encouraged
                          > him on and made it there at 5:10pm. The store was
                          > still open, but not the grill. I was able to beg and
                          > plead and they let me use the restroom before they
                          > locked it up, but I could not order any food.

                          > Be a better friend, newshound, and

                        • Fred Sharples
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 20, 2007
                            I stayed the the Tuolumne Meadows Resort last June to duck out of a
                            snowstorm on my JMT trip <http://fredsharples.com/jmt.html>. Dinner prices
                            have gone way up. (around $20-25) Superb food though. I was grateful to get
                            a wood stove and a good meal, rather than ride out the storm in my solo
                            tent.
                            You can use the hot showers there for a small fee during the mid day hours,
                            even if you are not staying there.

                            Quake
                            http://biggestroom.com

                            On 12/20/07, Brian O'Kelly <losthillsguy@...> wrote:

                            > thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@... <tgtaylor7%40yahoo.com>> wrote: Jay,
                            >
                            > Nearby is the Toulumne Resort where there is a store
                            > and, better, a RESTAURANT that serves supper until 9PM
                            > - about $10/head if I remember correctly. Way better
                            > than the grill IMO. It near the backpacker permit
                            > station and parking lot. YARTS goes there and you can
                            > always hitch a ride but it's not more than a mile from
                            > the blacktop. You can also shower there in the
                            > afternoon legally.
                            >
                            > Thomas
                            > --- Strine Jay <hundyff@... <hundyff%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                            >
                            > > but 5:00pm on the dot. We came out of Toulumne
                            > > Meadows and all could think about was the Grill. We
                            > > had on person who was tired and slow. We encouraged
                            > > him on and made it there at 5:10pm. The store was
                            > > still open, but not the grill. I was able to beg and
                            > > plead and they let me use the restroom before they
                            > > locked it up, but I could not order any food.

                            > > Be a better friend, newshound, and

                            Orange Design Inc.
                            Games - Tech - Art
                            2601 Mission Street #800