Re: Where does one get JMT permit if starting at Reds Meadows?

  • Ralph Alcorn
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2007
      The permit needs to be obtained by the agency that controls the point of
      entry. In the case of Reds Meadow, that is the U.S. Forest Service, so you
      get the permit from the ...inyo.. entry that was mentioned earlier. All of
      the east side routes are Forest Service controlled. National Park service
      controls Yosemite starting points.

      On 3 Dec 2007 12:31:29 -0000, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > There are 4 messages in this issue.
      >
      > Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1a. Re: Where does one get JMT permit if starting at Red Meadows on the
      > From: thomas taylor
      > 1b. Where does one get JMT permit if starting at Red Meadows on the JMT?
      > From: Patronio@...
      > 1c. Where does one get JMT permit if starting at Red Meadows on the JMT?
      > From: Patronio@...
      > 1d. Re: Where does one get JMT permit if starting at Red Meadows on the
      > From: thomas taylor
      >

      > Messages
      >
      > 1a. Re: Where does one get JMT permit if starting at Red Meadows on the
      > Posted by: "thomas taylor" tgtaylor7@... tgtaylor7
      > Date: Sun Dec 2, 2007 11:32 am ((PST))
      >
      > Hi Paul,
      >
      > You can park your car at the Mammoth Inn Hotel I think
      > that's its name) which is located right where you
      > catch the shuttle to Reds. They charge $5.00 and you
      > leave your keys with them in case they have to move
      > the car for some reason. Very safe. You can also
      > shower there for $5.00. They supply soap, towel and
      > shampoo.
      >
      > You can reserve your permit in advance (recommended
      > for departing from popular spots like Reds in high
      > season like July) at:
      > <http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/passes/>
      >
      > There is a fee for reserving ($5.00 or $15 - I forgot
      > but $15 for entering the Whitney Zone))and you can
      > pick up the permitt at the Mono Lake visitors visiting
      > center or their office in Bishop or Lone Pine. I
      > don't know if there is a location in Mammoth Lakes
      > itself where you can pick-up the permitt but ask them.
      > It seems like there should be. In the past they
      > would put it in the overnight box so that you could
      > pick it up before 8am on the day of departure.
      > However I believe that they changed that now and
      > require you to pick it up in person.
      >
      > By the way, you can stay free one night at Reds
      > Campground: Good restaurant and a HOT, HOT bath. The
      > campground store is OK for snacks and such but poor
      > for backpacker necessities. However you can get
      > everything and anything you could possibly need in
      > Mammoth Lakes which is a popular rest stop for thru
      > hikers on the PCT.
      >
      > By the way, by starting from Reds you'll be missing
      > some great scenery between Donahue Pass and Reds in
      > the Ansel Adams Wilderness but there will be plenty
      > ahead of you!! Have a good trip. I hope to see you
      > on the trail.
      >
      > Thomas
      > --- Paul <eaglepdub@...> wrote:
      >
      > > --- In johnmuirt
      >
      > rail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin
      > > <roleigh@...>
      > > wrote:
      > > >Damn I just typed out all the information that you
      > > needed and then
      > > it all got deleted. I did this trail last year and
      > > have all your
      > > answers. Just give me a call 208-484-2718 Paul
      > > Walker in Idaho.
      > >

      > > > We're planning a 3 person partial - JMT hike for
> [...]

      Ralph Alcorn
      http://www.backpack45.com/camino2.html
      http://timecheck00.blogspot.com
      Shepherd Canyon books, Publisher of
      We're in the Mountains, Not Over the Hill: Tales and Tips from Seasoned
      Women Backpackers
      and
      Camino Chronicle: Walking to Santiago