Re: [John Muir Trail] Re:Where does one get JMT permit if starting at Red Meadows on

  • thomas taylor
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
      I think they said that this was a new rule for the
      national parks or whitney only. They will put the
      permit in the overnight box for trips that do not
      enter a NP. I called in to reserve for another hike
      and they put it on the overnight box at Mono Lake
      Visitors Center.

      Thomas
      --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor
      > <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Frank,
      > >
      > > I think you are right about not being able to
      > obtain a
      > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds
      > and
      > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved
      > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said
      > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't
      > leave
      > > them outside any longer.
      > >
      > > Thomas
      >
      > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I
      > picked them up
      > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in
      > Lone Pine for George
      > Creek. That was in May/June.
      >
      > thanks,
      >
      > frank

      Best regards,

      Thomas

      Thomas Taylor
      tgtaylor7@...
      http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
    • clairehiker
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 25, 2008
        You have to reserve and pick up your permit from whatever agency the
        trailhead starts in, and it is good for the whole trip, even if you
        cross other national parks or forests. For Reds Meadow, it is Inyo
        National Forest
        http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/howto.shtml

        Claire

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Martin" <sriprank@...>
        wrote:

        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@>
        wrote:

        > > Frank,
        > >
        > > I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
        > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
        > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
        > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
        > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
        > > them outside any longer.
        > >
        > > Thomas
        >
        > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up
        > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for
        George
        > Creek. That was in May/June.
        >
        > thanks,
        >
        > frank

      • Kevin Aston
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 25, 2008
          When you call for a permit, just tell them that you are going in at
          Reds. We did it last year and had no problem. You can pick it up at
          the same place you would pick up any of the backcountry permits.
          GoodLuck
          Kevin Aston

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "clairehiker" <clairehiker@...>