[John Muir Trail] Re:Where does one get JMT permit if starting at Red Meadows on

  • Frank Martin
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:

      > Frank,
      >
      > I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
      > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
      > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
      > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
      > had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
      > them outside any longer.
      >
      > Thomas

      That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up
      afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for George
      Creek. That was in May/June.

      thanks,

      frank
    • thomas taylor
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
        I think they said that this was a new rule for the
        national parks or whitney only. They will put the
        permit in the overnight box for trips that do not
        enter a NP. I called in to reserve for another hike
        and they put it on the overnight box at Mono Lake
        Visitors Center.

        Thomas
        --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor
        > <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Frank,
        > >
        > > I think you are right about not being able to
        > obtain a
        > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds
        > and
        > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved
        > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said
        > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't
        > leave
        > > them outside any longer.
        > >
        > > Thomas
        >
        > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I
        > picked them up
        > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in
        > Lone Pine for George
        > Creek. That was in May/June.
        >
        > thanks,
        >
        > frank

        Best regards,

        Thomas

        Thomas Taylor
        tgtaylor7@...
        http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
      • clairehiker
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 25, 2008
          You have to reserve and pick up your permit from whatever agency the
          trailhead starts in, and it is good for the whole trip, even if you
          cross other national parks or forests. For Reds Meadow, it is Inyo
          National Forest
          http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/howto.shtml

          Claire

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Martin" <sriprank@...>
          wrote:

          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@>
          wrote:

          > > Frank,
          > >
          > > I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
          > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
          > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
          > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
          > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
          > > them outside any longer.
          > >
          > > Thomas
          >
          > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up
          > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for
          George
          > Creek. That was in May/June.
          >
          > thanks,
          >
          > frank

        • Kevin Aston
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 25, 2008
            When you call for a permit, just tell them that you are going in at
            Reds. We did it last year and had no problem. You can pick it up at
            the same place you would pick up any of the backcountry permits.
            GoodLuck
            Kevin Aston

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "clairehiker" <clairehiker@...>