Re: [John Muir Trail] Re:Where does one get JMT permit if starting at Red Meadows on the JMT?

  • thomas taylor
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
      Frank,

      I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
      permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
      exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
      enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
      had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
      them outside any longer.

      Thomas

      --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@...
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness
      > Permit in
      > Tuolumne Meadows
      > > Ranger Station.
      > >

      > If you are starting at Red's you CAN'T p/u a Permit
      > at TM. TM is only
      > for hikes that originate in Yosemite. If you are
      > coming from the Bay
      > Area the easiest place to get the Permit is Mono
      > Lake. If coming from
      > the South either Lone Pine or Bishop. Note the new
      > permit Station is
      > now South of Lone Pine.
      >
      > One thing about Inyo is that if you do not have a
      > Reservation you can
      > obtain a Permit starting at Noon TWO days in advance
      > instead of one.
      >
      > Also in the National Forrest Areas if you call ahead
      > they will leave
      > the Permits outside for you to pick up after hours
      > either pinned to a
      > board or a dropbox.
      >
      > frank

    • Frank Martin
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:

        > Frank,
        >
        > I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
        > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
        > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
        > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
        > had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
        > them outside any longer.
        >
        > Thomas

        That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up
        afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for George
        Creek. That was in May/June.

        thanks,

        frank
      • thomas taylor
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
          I think they said that this was a new rule for the
          national parks or whitney only. They will put the
          permit in the overnight box for trips that do not
          enter a NP. I called in to reserve for another hike
          and they put it on the overnight box at Mono Lake
          Visitors Center.

          Thomas
          --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor
          > <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Frank,
          > >
          > > I think you are right about not being able to
          > obtain a
          > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds
          > and
          > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved
          > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said
          > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't
          > leave
          > > them outside any longer.
          > >
          > > Thomas
          >
          > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I
          > picked them up
          > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in
          > Lone Pine for George
          > Creek. That was in May/June.
          >
          > thanks,
          >
          > frank

          Best regards,

          Thomas

          Thomas Taylor
          tgtaylor7@...
          http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
        • clairehiker
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 25, 2008
            You have to reserve and pick up your permit from whatever agency the
            trailhead starts in, and it is good for the whole trip, even if you
            cross other national parks or forests. For Reds Meadow, it is Inyo
            National Forest
            http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/howto.shtml

            Claire

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Martin" <sriprank@...>
            wrote:

            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@>
            wrote:

            > > Frank,
            > >
            > > I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
            > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
            > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
            > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
            > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
            > > them outside any longer.
            > >
            > > Thomas
            >
            > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up
            > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for
            George
            > Creek. That was in May/June.
            >
            > thanks,
            >
            > frank

          • Kevin Aston
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 25, 2008
              When you call for a permit, just tell them that you are going in at
              Reds. We did it last year and had no problem. You can pick it up at
              the same place you would pick up any of the backcountry permits.
              GoodLuck
              Kevin Aston

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "clairehiker" <clairehiker@...>