Re: [John Muir Trail] Re:Where does one get JMT permit if starting at Red Meadows on the JMT?

  • thomas taylor
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
      One probably could get a permit at Tuolumne Meadows
      also, but the Inyo website states the following:

      Where can I pick up my wilderness permit? We recommend
      you pick up your reserved permit at the location
      closest to your entry trailhead. Inyo National Forest
      wilderness permits are issued at the following
      locations:

      Eastern Sierra InterAgency Visitor Center
      Junction of Highway 395 and State Route 136
      2 miles south of Lone Pine, CA
      (760)876-6200 or TDD(760)876-6201

      White Mountain Ranger Station
      798 N. Main Street
      Bishop, CA 93514
      (760)873-2500 or TDD (760) 873-2501

      Mammoth Lakes Visitor Center
      2500 Main Street
      Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546
      (760) 924-5500 or TDD (760) 924-5531

      Mono Basin Scenic Area Visitor Center
      P.O. Box 429 (North of Lee Vining on Hwy 395)
      Lee Vining, CA 93541
      (760) 647-3044 or TDD (760) 647-3045

      updated Nov.2006

      I thought you could pick it up in Mammoth Lakes but I
      always went to either Momo Lake or Bishop.

      Thomas

      --- Patronio@... wrote:

      > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness
      > Permit in Tuolumne Meadows
      > Ranger Station.

      > removed]

      Best regards,

      Thomas

      Thomas Taylor
      tgtaylor7@...
      http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
    • Frank Martin
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@... wrote:

        > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness Permit in
        Tuolumne Meadows
        > Ranger Station.

        If you are starting at Red's you CAN'T p/u a Permit at TM. TM is only
        for hikes that originate in Yosemite. If you are coming from the Bay
        Area the easiest place to get the Permit is Mono Lake. If coming from
        the South either Lone Pine or Bishop. Note the new permit Station is
        now South of Lone Pine.

        One thing about Inyo is that if you do not have a Reservation you can
        obtain a Permit starting at Noon TWO days in advance instead of one.

        Also in the National Forrest Areas if you call ahead they will leave
        the Permits outside for you to pick up after hours either pinned to a
        board or a dropbox.

        frank
      • thomas taylor
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
          Frank,

          I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
          permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
          exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
          enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
          had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
          them outside any longer.

          Thomas

          --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@...
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness
          > Permit in
          > Tuolumne Meadows
          > > Ranger Station.
          > >

          > If you are starting at Red's you CAN'T p/u a Permit
          > at TM. TM is only
          > for hikes that originate in Yosemite. If you are
          > coming from the Bay
          > Area the easiest place to get the Permit is Mono
          > Lake. If coming from
          > the South either Lone Pine or Bishop. Note the new
          > permit Station is
          > now South of Lone Pine.
          >
          > One thing about Inyo is that if you do not have a
          > Reservation you can
          > obtain a Permit starting at Noon TWO days in advance
          > instead of one.
          >
          > Also in the National Forrest Areas if you call ahead
          > they will leave
          > the Permits outside for you to pick up after hours
          > either pinned to a
          > board or a dropbox.
          >
          > frank

        • Frank Martin
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:

            > Frank,
            >
            > I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
            > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
            > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
            > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
            > had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
            > them outside any longer.
            >
            > Thomas

            That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up
            afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for George
            Creek. That was in May/June.

            thanks,

            frank
          • thomas taylor
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
              I think they said that this was a new rule for the
              national parks or whitney only. They will put the
              permit in the overnight box for trips that do not
              enter a NP. I called in to reserve for another hike
              and they put it on the overnight box at Mono Lake
              Visitors Center.

              Thomas
              --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor
              > <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Frank,
              > >
              > > I think you are right about not being able to
              > obtain a
              > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds
              > and
              > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved
              > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said
              > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't
              > leave
              > > them outside any longer.
              > >
              > > Thomas
              >
              > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I
              > picked them up
              > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in
              > Lone Pine for George
              > Creek. That was in May/June.
              >
              > thanks,
              >
              > frank

              Best regards,

              Thomas

              Thomas Taylor
              tgtaylor7@...
              http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
            • clairehiker
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 25, 2008
                You have to reserve and pick up your permit from whatever agency the
                trailhead starts in, and it is good for the whole trip, even if you
                cross other national parks or forests. For Reds Meadow, it is Inyo
                National Forest
                http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/howto.shtml

                Claire

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Martin" <sriprank@...>
                wrote:

                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@>
                wrote:

                > > Frank,
                > >
                > > I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                > > them outside any longer.
                > >
                > > Thomas
                >
                > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up
                > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for
                George
                > Creek. That was in May/June.
                >
                > thanks,
                >
                > frank

              • Kevin Aston
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 25, 2008
                  When you call for a permit, just tell them that you are going in at
                  Reds. We did it last year and had no problem. You can pick it up at
                  the same place you would pick up any of the backcountry permits.
                  GoodLuck
                  Kevin Aston

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "clairehiker" <clairehiker@...>