Re:Where does one get JMT permit if starting at Red Meadows on the JMT?

  • Patronio@aol.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
      The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness Permit in Tuolumne Meadows
      Ranger Station.

    • thomas taylor
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
        One probably could get a permit at Tuolumne Meadows
        also, but the Inyo website states the following:

        Where can I pick up my wilderness permit? We recommend
        you pick up your reserved permit at the location
        closest to your entry trailhead. Inyo National Forest
        wilderness permits are issued at the following
        locations:

        Eastern Sierra InterAgency Visitor Center
        Junction of Highway 395 and State Route 136
        2 miles south of Lone Pine, CA
        (760)876-6200 or TDD(760)876-6201

        White Mountain Ranger Station
        798 N. Main Street
        Bishop, CA 93514
        (760)873-2500 or TDD (760) 873-2501

        Mammoth Lakes Visitor Center
        2500 Main Street
        Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546
        (760) 924-5500 or TDD (760) 924-5531

        Mono Basin Scenic Area Visitor Center
        P.O. Box 429 (North of Lee Vining on Hwy 395)
        Lee Vining, CA 93541
        (760) 647-3044 or TDD (760) 647-3045

        updated Nov.2006

        I thought you could pick it up in Mammoth Lakes but I
        always went to either Momo Lake or Bishop.

        Thomas

        --- Patronio@... wrote:

        > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness
        > Permit in Tuolumne Meadows
        > Ranger Station.

        > removed]

        Best regards,

        Thomas

        Thomas Taylor
        tgtaylor7@...
        http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
      • Frank Martin
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@... wrote:

          > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness Permit in
          Tuolumne Meadows
          > Ranger Station.

          If you are starting at Red's you CAN'T p/u a Permit at TM. TM is only
          for hikes that originate in Yosemite. If you are coming from the Bay
          Area the easiest place to get the Permit is Mono Lake. If coming from
          the South either Lone Pine or Bishop. Note the new permit Station is
          now South of Lone Pine.

          One thing about Inyo is that if you do not have a Reservation you can
          obtain a Permit starting at Noon TWO days in advance instead of one.

          Also in the National Forrest Areas if you call ahead they will leave
          the Permits outside for you to pick up after hours either pinned to a
          board or a dropbox.

          frank
        • thomas taylor
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
            Frank,

            I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
            permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
            exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
            enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
            had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
            them outside any longer.

            Thomas

            --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@...
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness
            > Permit in
            > Tuolumne Meadows
            > > Ranger Station.
            > >

            > If you are starting at Red's you CAN'T p/u a Permit
            > at TM. TM is only
            > for hikes that originate in Yosemite. If you are
            > coming from the Bay
            > Area the easiest place to get the Permit is Mono
            > Lake. If coming from
            > the South either Lone Pine or Bishop. Note the new
            > permit Station is
            > now South of Lone Pine.
            >
            > One thing about Inyo is that if you do not have a
            > Reservation you can
            > obtain a Permit starting at Noon TWO days in advance
            > instead of one.
            >
            > Also in the National Forrest Areas if you call ahead
            > they will leave
            > the Permits outside for you to pick up after hours
            > either pinned to a
            > board or a dropbox.
            >
            > frank

          • Frank Martin
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:

              > Frank,
              >
              > I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
              > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
              > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
              > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
              > had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
              > them outside any longer.
              >
              > Thomas

              That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up
              afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for George
              Creek. That was in May/June.

              thanks,

              frank
            • thomas taylor
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                I think they said that this was a new rule for the
                national parks or whitney only. They will put the
                permit in the overnight box for trips that do not
                enter a NP. I called in to reserve for another hike
                and they put it on the overnight box at Mono Lake
                Visitors Center.

                Thomas
                --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor
                > <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Frank,
                > >
                > > I think you are right about not being able to
                > obtain a
                > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds
                > and
                > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved
                > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said
                > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't
                > leave
                > > them outside any longer.
                > >
                > > Thomas
                >
                > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I
                > picked them up
                > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in
                > Lone Pine for George
                > Creek. That was in May/June.
                >
                > thanks,
                >
                > frank

                Best regards,

                Thomas

                Thomas Taylor
                tgtaylor7@...
                http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
              • clairehiker
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 25, 2008
                  You have to reserve and pick up your permit from whatever agency the
                  trailhead starts in, and it is good for the whole trip, even if you
                  cross other national parks or forests. For Reds Meadow, it is Inyo
                  National Forest
                  http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/howto.shtml

                  Claire

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Martin" <sriprank@...>
                  wrote:

                  > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@>
                  wrote:

                  > > Frank,
                  > >
                  > > I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                  > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                  > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                  > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                  > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                  > > them outside any longer.
                  > >
                  > > Thomas
                  >
                  > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up
                  > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for
                  George
                  > Creek. That was in May/June.
                  >
                  > thanks,
                  >
                  > frank

                • Kevin Aston
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 25, 2008
                    When you call for a permit, just tell them that you are going in at
                    Reds. We did it last year and had no problem. You can pick it up at
                    the same place you would pick up any of the backcountry permits.
                    GoodLuck
                    Kevin Aston

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "clairehiker" <clairehiker@...>