Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Where does one get JMT permit if starting at Red Meadows on the JMT?

  • thomas taylor
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
      Hi Paul,

      You can park your car at the Mammoth Inn Hotel I think
      that's its name) which is located right where you
      catch the shuttle to Reds. They charge $5.00 and you
      leave your keys with them in case they have to move
      the car for some reason. Very safe. You can also
      shower there for $5.00. They supply soap, towel and
      shampoo.

      You can reserve your permit in advance (recommended
      for departing from popular spots like Reds in high
      season like July) at:
      <http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/passes/>

      There is a fee for reserving ($5.00 or $15 - I forgot
      but $15 for entering the Whitney Zone))and you can
      pick up the permitt at the Mono Lake visitors visiting
      center or their office in Bishop or Lone Pine. I
      don't know if there is a location in Mammoth Lakes
      itself where you can pick-up the permitt but ask them.
      It seems like there should be. In the past they
      would put it in the overnight box so that you could
      pick it up before 8am on the day of departure.
      However I believe that they changed that now and
      require you to pick it up in person.

      By the way, you can stay free one night at Reds
      Campground: Good restaurant and a HOT, HOT bath. The
      campground store is OK for snacks and such but poor
      for backpacker necessities. However you can get
      everything and anything you could possibly need in
      Mammoth Lakes which is a popular rest stop for thru
      hikers on the PCT.

      By the way, by starting from Reds you'll be missing
      some great scenery between Donahue Pass and Reds in
      the Ansel Adams Wilderness but there will be plenty
      ahead of you!! Have a good trip. I hope to see you
      on the trail.

      Thomas

      rail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin
      > <roleigh@...>
      > wrote:
      > >Damn I just typed out all the information that you
      > needed and then
      > it all got deleted. I did this trail last year and
      > have all your
      > answers. Just give me a call 208-484-2718 Paul
      > Walker in Idaho.
      >

      > > We're planning a 3 person partial - JMT hike for
      > late July 2008
      > starting at Red Meadows on the JMT and going all the
      > way down to
      > Whitney Portal. Where does one apply for the permit
      > and where does
      > one physically show up to get the permit, or is it
      > available by
      > mail? If it has to be in person some distance away
      > (like Toulumne
      > Meadows), can it be gotten the afternoon the day
      > before?
      > >
      > > Where do people advise parking the car for such a
      > hike (at Whitney
      > Portal or near Red Meadows)?
      > >
      > > PS -- how difficult is it to purchase a ride from
      > the other end of
      > where one parks to where one needs to get (after or
      > before the trail
      > depending on the answer to the above question)? I
      > believe there is
      > a bus from Bishop to Mammoth Lake but how does one
      > get from Lone
      > Pine to Bishop?
      > >
      > > PPS - how does one get to the Trailhead from
      > Mammoth Lake to Red
      > Meadows?
      > >
      > > Thanks!
      > >
      > > Thanks!

      > removed]

      Best regards,

      Thomas

      Thomas Taylor
      tgtaylor7@...
      http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
    • Patronio@aol.com
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
        The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness Permit in Tuolumne Meadows
        Ranger Station.

        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
          There is a shuttle that takes you from Mammoth Lakes, right to Reds Meadows
          ranger station and the Mulehouse cafe if you like. It is very easy and fun, for
          a side trip if you wish to go down to town.

        • thomas taylor
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
            One probably could get a permit at Tuolumne Meadows
            also, but the Inyo website states the following:

            Where can I pick up my wilderness permit? We recommend
            you pick up your reserved permit at the location
            closest to your entry trailhead. Inyo National Forest
            wilderness permits are issued at the following
            locations:

            Eastern Sierra InterAgency Visitor Center
            Junction of Highway 395 and State Route 136
            2 miles south of Lone Pine, CA
            (760)876-6200 or TDD(760)876-6201

            White Mountain Ranger Station
            798 N. Main Street
            Bishop, CA 93514
            (760)873-2500 or TDD (760) 873-2501

            Mammoth Lakes Visitor Center
            2500 Main Street
            Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546
            (760) 924-5500 or TDD (760) 924-5531

            Mono Basin Scenic Area Visitor Center
            P.O. Box 429 (North of Lee Vining on Hwy 395)
            Lee Vining, CA 93541
            (760) 647-3044 or TDD (760) 647-3045

            updated Nov.2006

            I thought you could pick it up in Mammoth Lakes but I
            always went to either Momo Lake or Bishop.

            Thomas

            --- Patronio@... wrote:

            > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness
            > Permit in Tuolumne Meadows
            > Ranger Station.

            > removed]

            Best regards,

            Thomas

            Thomas Taylor
            tgtaylor7@...
            http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
          • Frank Martin
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@... wrote:

              > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness Permit in
              Tuolumne Meadows
              > Ranger Station.

              If you are starting at Red's you CAN'T p/u a Permit at TM. TM is only
              for hikes that originate in Yosemite. If you are coming from the Bay
              Area the easiest place to get the Permit is Mono Lake. If coming from
              the South either Lone Pine or Bishop. Note the new permit Station is
              now South of Lone Pine.

              One thing about Inyo is that if you do not have a Reservation you can
              obtain a Permit starting at Noon TWO days in advance instead of one.

              Also in the National Forrest Areas if you call ahead they will leave
              the Permits outside for you to pick up after hours either pinned to a
              board or a dropbox.

              frank
            • thomas taylor
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                Frank,

                I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                them outside any longer.

                Thomas

                --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@...
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness
                > Permit in
                > Tuolumne Meadows
                > > Ranger Station.
                > >

                > If you are starting at Red's you CAN'T p/u a Permit
                > at TM. TM is only
                > for hikes that originate in Yosemite. If you are
                > coming from the Bay
                > Area the easiest place to get the Permit is Mono
                > Lake. If coming from
                > the South either Lone Pine or Bishop. Note the new
                > permit Station is
                > now South of Lone Pine.
                >
                > One thing about Inyo is that if you do not have a
                > Reservation you can
                > obtain a Permit starting at Noon TWO days in advance
                > instead of one.
                >
                > Also in the National Forrest Areas if you call ahead
                > they will leave
                > the Permits outside for you to pick up after hours
                > either pinned to a
                > board or a dropbox.
                >
                > frank

              • Frank Martin
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:

                  > Frank,
                  >
                  > I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                  > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                  > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                  > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                  > had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                  > them outside any longer.
                  >
                  > Thomas

                  That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up
                  afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for George
                  Creek. That was in May/June.

                  thanks,

                  frank
                • thomas taylor
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                    I think they said that this was a new rule for the
                    national parks or whitney only. They will put the
                    permit in the overnight box for trips that do not
                    enter a NP. I called in to reserve for another hike
                    and they put it on the overnight box at Mono Lake
                    Visitors Center.

                    Thomas
                    --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

                    > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor
                    > <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Frank,
                    > >
                    > > I think you are right about not being able to
                    > obtain a
                    > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds
                    > and
                    > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved
                    > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said
                    > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't
                    > leave
                    > > them outside any longer.
                    > >
                    > > Thomas
                    >
                    > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I
                    > picked them up
                    > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in
                    > Lone Pine for George
                    > Creek. That was in May/June.
                    >
                    > thanks,
                    >
                    > frank

                    Best regards,

                    Thomas

                    Thomas Taylor
                    tgtaylor7@...
                    http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
                  • clairehiker
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 25, 2008
                      You have to reserve and pick up your permit from whatever agency the
                      trailhead starts in, and it is good for the whole trip, even if you
                      cross other national parks or forests. For Reds Meadow, it is Inyo
                      National Forest
                      http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/howto.shtml

                      Claire

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Martin" <sriprank@...>
                      wrote:

                      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@>
                      wrote:

                      > > Frank,
                      > >
                      > > I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                      > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                      > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                      > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                      > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                      > > them outside any longer.
                      > >
                      > > Thomas
                      >
                      > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up
                      > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for
                      George
                      > Creek. That was in May/June.
                      >
                      > thanks,
                      >
                      > frank

                    • Kevin Aston
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 25, 2008
                        When you call for a permit, just tell them that you are going in at
                        Reds. We did it last year and had no problem. You can pick it up at
                        the same place you would pick up any of the backcountry permits.
                        GoodLuck
                        Kevin Aston

                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "clairehiker" <clairehiker@...>