Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: Where does one get JMT permit if starting at Red Meadows on the JMT?

Expand Messages
  • Paul
    ... it all got deleted. I did this trail last year and have all your answers. Just give me a call 208-484-2718 Paul Walker in Idaho. ... starting at Red
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...>
      wrote:
      >Damn I just typed out all the information that you needed and then
      it all got deleted. I did this trail last year and have all your
      answers. Just give me a call 208-484-2718 Paul Walker in Idaho.


      > We're planning a 3 person partial - JMT hike for late July 2008
      starting at Red Meadows on the JMT and going all the way down to
      Whitney Portal. Where does one apply for the permit and where does
      one physically show up to get the permit, or is it available by
      mail? If it has to be in person some distance away (like Toulumne
      Meadows), can it be gotten the afternoon the day before?
      >
      > Where do people advise parking the car for such a hike (at Whitney
      Portal or near Red Meadows)?
      >
      > PS -- how difficult is it to purchase a ride from the other end of
      where one parks to where one needs to get (after or before the trail
      depending on the answer to the above question)? I believe there is
      a bus from Bishop to Mammoth Lake but how does one get from Lone
      Pine to Bishop?
      >
      > PPS - how does one get to the Trailhead from Mammoth Lake to Red
      Meadows?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      >
      > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      >
    • thomas taylor
      Hi Paul, You can park your car at the Mammoth Inn Hotel I think that s its name) which is located right where you catch the shuttle to Reds. They charge $5.00
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
        Hi Paul,

        You can park your car at the Mammoth Inn Hotel I think
        that's its name) which is located right where you
        catch the shuttle to Reds. They charge $5.00 and you
        leave your keys with them in case they have to move
        the car for some reason. Very safe. You can also
        shower there for $5.00. They supply soap, towel and
        shampoo.

        You can reserve your permit in advance (recommended
        for departing from popular spots like Reds in high
        season like July) at:
        <http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/passes/>

        There is a fee for reserving ($5.00 or $15 - I forgot
        but $15 for entering the Whitney Zone))and you can
        pick up the permitt at the Mono Lake visitors visiting
        center or their office in Bishop or Lone Pine. I
        don't know if there is a location in Mammoth Lakes
        itself where you can pick-up the permitt but ask them.
        It seems like there should be. In the past they
        would put it in the overnight box so that you could
        pick it up before 8am on the day of departure.
        However I believe that they changed that now and
        require you to pick it up in person.

        By the way, you can stay free one night at Reds
        Campground: Good restaurant and a HOT, HOT bath. The
        campground store is OK for snacks and such but poor
        for backpacker necessities. However you can get
        everything and anything you could possibly need in
        Mammoth Lakes which is a popular rest stop for thru
        hikers on the PCT.

        By the way, by starting from Reds you'll be missing
        some great scenery between Donahue Pass and Reds in
        the Ansel Adams Wilderness but there will be plenty
        ahead of you!! Have a good trip. I hope to see you
        on the trail.

        Thomas
        --- Paul <eaglepdub@...> wrote:

        > --- In johnmuirt

        rail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin
        > <roleigh@...>
        > wrote:
        > >Damn I just typed out all the information that you
        > needed and then
        > it all got deleted. I did this trail last year and
        > have all your
        > answers. Just give me a call 208-484-2718 Paul
        > Walker in Idaho.
        >
        >
        > > We're planning a 3 person partial - JMT hike for
        > late July 2008
        > starting at Red Meadows on the JMT and going all the
        > way down to
        > Whitney Portal. Where does one apply for the permit
        > and where does
        > one physically show up to get the permit, or is it
        > available by
        > mail? If it has to be in person some distance away
        > (like Toulumne
        > Meadows), can it be gotten the afternoon the day
        > before?
        > >
        > > Where do people advise parking the car for such a
        > hike (at Whitney
        > Portal or near Red Meadows)?
        > >
        > > PS -- how difficult is it to purchase a ride from
        > the other end of
        > where one parks to where one needs to get (after or
        > before the trail
        > depending on the answer to the above question)? I
        > believe there is
        > a bus from Bishop to Mammoth Lake but how does one
        > get from Lone
        > Pine to Bishop?
        > >
        > > PPS - how does one get to the Trailhead from
        > Mammoth Lake to Red
        > Meadows?
        > >
        > > Thanks!
        > >
        > > Thanks!
        > >
        > >
        > > [Non-text portions of this message have been
        > removed]
        > >
        >
        >
        >


        Best regards,

        Thomas

        Thomas Taylor
        tgtaylor7@...
        http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
      • Patronio@aol.com
        The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness Permit in Tuolumne Meadows Ranger Station. ************************************** Check out AOL s list of
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
          The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness Permit in Tuolumne Meadows
          Ranger Station.


          **************************************
          Check out AOL's list of
          2007's hottest products.

          (http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?NCID=aoltop00030000000001)


          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        • Patronio@aol.com
          There is a shuttle that takes you from Mammoth Lakes, right to Reds Meadows ranger station and the Mulehouse cafe if you like. It is very easy and fun, for a
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
            There is a shuttle that takes you from Mammoth Lakes, right to Reds Meadows
            ranger station and the Mulehouse cafe if you like. It is very easy and fun, for
            a side trip if you wish to go down to town.



            **************************************
            Check out AOL's list of 2007's hottest products.

            (http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?NCID=aoltop00030000000001)


            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          • thomas taylor
            One probably could get a permit at Tuolumne Meadows also, but the Inyo website states the following: Where can I pick up my wilderness permit? We recommend you
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
              One probably could get a permit at Tuolumne Meadows
              also, but the Inyo website states the following:

              Where can I pick up my wilderness permit? We recommend
              you pick up your reserved permit at the location
              closest to your entry trailhead. Inyo National Forest
              wilderness permits are issued at the following
              locations:

              Eastern Sierra InterAgency Visitor Center
              Junction of Highway 395 and State Route 136
              2 miles south of Lone Pine, CA
              (760)876-6200 or TDD(760)876-6201

              White Mountain Ranger Station
              798 N. Main Street
              Bishop, CA 93514
              (760)873-2500 or TDD (760) 873-2501

              Mammoth Lakes Visitor Center
              2500 Main Street
              Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546
              (760) 924-5500 or TDD (760) 924-5531

              Mono Basin Scenic Area Visitor Center
              P.O. Box 429 (North of Lee Vining on Hwy 395)
              Lee Vining, CA 93541
              (760) 647-3044 or TDD (760) 647-3045


              updated Nov.2006

              I thought you could pick it up in Mammoth Lakes but I
              always went to either Momo Lake or Bishop.

              Thomas

              --- Patronio@... wrote:

              > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness
              > Permit in Tuolumne Meadows
              > Ranger Station.
              >
              >
              > **************************************
              > Check out AOL's list of
              > 2007's hottest products.
              >
              >
              (http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?NCID=aoltop00030000000001)
              >
              >
              > [Non-text portions of this message have been
              > removed]
              >
              >


              Best regards,

              Thomas

              Thomas Taylor
              tgtaylor7@...
              http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
            • Frank Martin
              ... Tuolumne Meadows ... If you are starting at Red s you CAN T p/u a Permit at TM. TM is only for hikes that originate in Yosemite. If you are coming from
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@... wrote:
                >
                > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness Permit in
                Tuolumne Meadows
                > Ranger Station.
                >

                If you are starting at Red's you CAN'T p/u a Permit at TM. TM is only
                for hikes that originate in Yosemite. If you are coming from the Bay
                Area the easiest place to get the Permit is Mono Lake. If coming from
                the South either Lone Pine or Bishop. Note the new permit Station is
                now South of Lone Pine.

                One thing about Inyo is that if you do not have a Reservation you can
                obtain a Permit starting at Noon TWO days in advance instead of one.

                Also in the National Forrest Areas if you call ahead they will leave
                the Permits outside for you to pick up after hours either pinned to a
                board or a dropbox.

                frank
              • thomas taylor
                Frank, I think you are right about not being able to obtain a permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                  Frank,

                  I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                  permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                  exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                  enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                  had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                  them outside any longer.

                  Thomas

                  --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

                  > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@...
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness
                  > Permit in
                  > Tuolumne Meadows
                  > > Ranger Station.
                  > >
                  >
                  > If you are starting at Red's you CAN'T p/u a Permit
                  > at TM. TM is only
                  > for hikes that originate in Yosemite. If you are
                  > coming from the Bay
                  > Area the easiest place to get the Permit is Mono
                  > Lake. If coming from
                  > the South either Lone Pine or Bishop. Note the new
                  > permit Station is
                  > now South of Lone Pine.
                  >
                  > One thing about Inyo is that if you do not have a
                  > Reservation you can
                  > obtain a Permit starting at Noon TWO days in advance
                  > instead of one.
                  >
                  > Also in the National Forrest Areas if you call ahead
                  > they will leave
                  > the Permits outside for you to pick up after hours
                  > either pinned to a
                  > board or a dropbox.
                  >
                  > frank
                  >
                  >
                • Frank Martin
                  ... That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for George Creek. That was in
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > Frank,
                    >
                    > I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                    > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                    > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                    > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                    > had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                    > them outside any longer.
                    >
                    > Thomas

                    That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up
                    afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for George
                    Creek. That was in May/June.

                    thanks,

                    frank
                  • thomas taylor
                    I think they said that this was a new rule for the national parks or whitney only. They will put the permit in the overnight box for trips that do not enter a
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                      I think they said that this was a new rule for the
                      national parks or whitney only. They will put the
                      permit in the overnight box for trips that do not
                      enter a NP. I called in to reserve for another hike
                      and they put it on the overnight box at Mono Lake
                      Visitors Center.

                      Thomas
                      --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

                      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor
                      > <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Frank,
                      > >
                      > > I think you are right about not being able to
                      > obtain a
                      > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds
                      > and
                      > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved
                      > to
                      > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said
                      > I
                      > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't
                      > leave
                      > > them outside any longer.
                      > >
                      > > Thomas
                      >
                      > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I
                      > picked them up
                      > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in
                      > Lone Pine for George
                      > Creek. That was in May/June.
                      >
                      > thanks,
                      >
                      > frank
                      >
                      >


                      Best regards,

                      Thomas

                      Thomas Taylor
                      tgtaylor7@...
                      http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
                    • clairehiker
                      You have to reserve and pick up your permit from whatever agency the trailhead starts in, and it is good for the whole trip, even if you cross other national
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 25, 2008
                        You have to reserve and pick up your permit from whatever agency the
                        trailhead starts in, and it is good for the whole trip, even if you
                        cross other national parks or forests. For Reds Meadow, it is Inyo
                        National Forest
                        http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/howto.shtml

                        Claire


                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Martin" <sriprank@...>
                        wrote:
                        >
                        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@>
                        wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Frank,
                        > >
                        > > I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                        > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                        > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                        > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                        > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                        > > them outside any longer.
                        > >
                        > > Thomas
                        >
                        > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up
                        > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for
                        George
                        > Creek. That was in May/June.
                        >
                        > thanks,
                        >
                        > frank
                        >
                      • Kevin Aston
                        When you call for a permit, just tell them that you are going in at Reds. We did it last year and had no problem. You can pick it up at the same place you
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 25, 2008
                          When you call for a permit, just tell them that you are going in at
                          Reds. We did it last year and had no problem. You can pick it up at
                          the same place you would pick up any of the backcountry permits.
                          GoodLuck
                          Kevin Aston

                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "clairehiker" <clairehiker@...>
                          wrote:
                          >
                          > You have to reserve and pick up your permit from whatever agency
                          the
                          > trailhead starts in, and it is good for the whole trip, even if you
                          > cross other national parks or forests. For Reds Meadow, it is Inyo
                          > National Forest
                          > http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/howto.shtml
                          >
                          > Claire
                          >
                          >
                          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Martin" <sriprank@>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@>
                          > wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Frank,
                          > > >
                          > > > I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                          > > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                          > > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                          > > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                          > > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                          > > > them outside any longer.
                          > > >
                          > > > Thomas
                          > >
                          > > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up
                          > > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for
                          > George
                          > > Creek. That was in May/June.
                          > >
                          > > thanks,
                          > >
                          > > frank
                          > >
                          >
                        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.