Re: Where does one get JMT permit if starting at Red Meadows on the JMT?

  • nekeel
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
      I can answer the PPS. From the Mammoth Lodge, you can buy a bus pass
      that will take you down to Reds Meadow. Approximately, 30 to 45
      minutes by bus. Remember that Reds Meadow is inside the Devils
      Postpile National Monument area and you will be charged an entrance
      fee for that also.

      I am attaching a link to the National Park Service regarding the
      shuttle buses:
      http://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/feesandreservations.htm

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...>
      wrote:

      > Sorry for the double posting, I clicked cancel when I saw the
      redundant window and still Yahoo Mail sent it, go figure.

    • Paul
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
        wrote:
        >Damn I just typed out all the information that you needed and then
        it all got deleted. I did this trail last year and have all your
        answers. Just give me a call 208-484-2718 Paul Walker in Idaho.

        > We're planning a 3 person partial - JMT hike for late July 2008
        starting at Red Meadows on the JMT and going all the way down to
        Whitney Portal. Where does one apply for the permit and where does
        one physically show up to get the permit, or is it available by
        mail? If it has to be in person some distance away (like Toulumne
        Meadows), can it be gotten the afternoon the day before?

        > Where do people advise parking the car for such a hike (at Whitney
        Portal or near Red Meadows)?

        > PS -- how difficult is it to purchase a ride from the other end of
        where one parks to where one needs to get (after or before the trail
        depending on the answer to the above question)? I believe there is
        a bus from Bishop to Mammoth Lake but how does one get from Lone
        Pine to Bishop?

        > PPS - how does one get to the Trailhead from Mammoth Lake to Red
        Meadows?

        > Thanks!
        >
        > Thanks!

      • thomas taylor
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
          Hi Paul,

          You can park your car at the Mammoth Inn Hotel I think
          that's its name) which is located right where you
          catch the shuttle to Reds. They charge $5.00 and you
          leave your keys with them in case they have to move
          the car for some reason. Very safe. You can also
          shower there for $5.00. They supply soap, towel and
          shampoo.

          You can reserve your permit in advance (recommended
          for departing from popular spots like Reds in high
          season like July) at:
          <http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/passes/>

          There is a fee for reserving ($5.00 or $15 - I forgot
          but $15 for entering the Whitney Zone))and you can
          pick up the permitt at the Mono Lake visitors visiting
          center or their office in Bishop or Lone Pine. I
          don't know if there is a location in Mammoth Lakes
          itself where you can pick-up the permitt but ask them.
          It seems like there should be. In the past they
          would put it in the overnight box so that you could
          pick it up before 8am on the day of departure.
          However I believe that they changed that now and
          require you to pick it up in person.

          By the way, you can stay free one night at Reds
          Campground: Good restaurant and a HOT, HOT bath. The
          campground store is OK for snacks and such but poor
          for backpacker necessities. However you can get
          everything and anything you could possibly need in
          Mammoth Lakes which is a popular rest stop for thru
          hikers on the PCT.

          By the way, by starting from Reds you'll be missing
          some great scenery between Donahue Pass and Reds in
          the Ansel Adams Wilderness but there will be plenty
          ahead of you!! Have a good trip. I hope to see you
          on the trail.

          Thomas
          --- Paul <eaglepdub@...> wrote:

          > --- In johnmuirt

          rail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin
          > <roleigh@...>
          > wrote:
          > >Damn I just typed out all the information that you
          > needed and then
          > it all got deleted. I did this trail last year and
          > have all your
          > answers. Just give me a call 208-484-2718 Paul
          > Walker in Idaho.
          >

          > > We're planning a 3 person partial - JMT hike for
          > late July 2008
          > starting at Red Meadows on the JMT and going all the
          > way down to
          > Whitney Portal. Where does one apply for the permit
          > and where does
          > one physically show up to get the permit, or is it
          > available by
          > mail? If it has to be in person some distance away
          > (like Toulumne
          > Meadows), can it be gotten the afternoon the day
          > before?
          > >
          > > Where do people advise parking the car for such a
          > hike (at Whitney
          > Portal or near Red Meadows)?
          > >
          > > PS -- how difficult is it to purchase a ride from
          > the other end of
          > where one parks to where one needs to get (after or
          > before the trail
          > depending on the answer to the above question)? I
          > believe there is
          > a bus from Bishop to Mammoth Lake but how does one
          > get from Lone
          > Pine to Bishop?
          > >
          > > PPS - how does one get to the Trailhead from
          > Mammoth Lake to Red
          > Meadows?
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > >
          > > Thanks!

          > removed]

          Best regards,

          Thomas

          Thomas Taylor
          tgtaylor7@...
          http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
        • Patronio@aol.com
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
            The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness Permit in Tuolumne Meadows
            Ranger Station.

            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
              There is a shuttle that takes you from Mammoth Lakes, right to Reds Meadows
              ranger station and the Mulehouse cafe if you like. It is very easy and fun, for
              a side trip if you wish to go down to town.

            • thomas taylor
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
                One probably could get a permit at Tuolumne Meadows
                also, but the Inyo website states the following:

                Where can I pick up my wilderness permit? We recommend
                you pick up your reserved permit at the location
                closest to your entry trailhead. Inyo National Forest
                wilderness permits are issued at the following
                locations:

                Eastern Sierra InterAgency Visitor Center
                Junction of Highway 395 and State Route 136
                2 miles south of Lone Pine, CA
                (760)876-6200 or TDD(760)876-6201

                White Mountain Ranger Station
                798 N. Main Street
                Bishop, CA 93514
                (760)873-2500 or TDD (760) 873-2501

                Mammoth Lakes Visitor Center
                2500 Main Street
                Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546
                (760) 924-5500 or TDD (760) 924-5531

                Mono Basin Scenic Area Visitor Center
                P.O. Box 429 (North of Lee Vining on Hwy 395)
                Lee Vining, CA 93541
                (760) 647-3044 or TDD (760) 647-3045

                updated Nov.2006

                I thought you could pick it up in Mammoth Lakes but I
                always went to either Momo Lake or Bishop.

                Thomas

                --- Patronio@... wrote:

                > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness
                > Permit in Tuolumne Meadows
                > Ranger Station.

                > removed]

                Best regards,

                Thomas

                Thomas Taylor
                tgtaylor7@...
                http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
              • Frank Martin
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@... wrote:

                  > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness Permit in
                  Tuolumne Meadows
                  > Ranger Station.

                  If you are starting at Red's you CAN'T p/u a Permit at TM. TM is only
                  for hikes that originate in Yosemite. If you are coming from the Bay
                  Area the easiest place to get the Permit is Mono Lake. If coming from
                  the South either Lone Pine or Bishop. Note the new permit Station is
                  now South of Lone Pine.

                  One thing about Inyo is that if you do not have a Reservation you can
                  obtain a Permit starting at Noon TWO days in advance instead of one.

                  Also in the National Forrest Areas if you call ahead they will leave
                  the Permits outside for you to pick up after hours either pinned to a
                  board or a dropbox.

                  frank
                • thomas taylor
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                    Frank,

                    I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                    permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                    exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                    enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                    had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                    them outside any longer.

                    Thomas

                    --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

                    > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@...
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness
                    > Permit in
                    > Tuolumne Meadows
                    > > Ranger Station.
                    > >

                    > If you are starting at Red's you CAN'T p/u a Permit
                    > at TM. TM is only
                    > for hikes that originate in Yosemite. If you are
                    > coming from the Bay
                    > Area the easiest place to get the Permit is Mono
                    > Lake. If coming from
                    > the South either Lone Pine or Bishop. Note the new
                    > permit Station is
                    > now South of Lone Pine.
                    >
                    > One thing about Inyo is that if you do not have a
                    > Reservation you can
                    > obtain a Permit starting at Noon TWO days in advance
                    > instead of one.
                    >
                    > Also in the National Forrest Areas if you call ahead
                    > they will leave
                    > the Permits outside for you to pick up after hours
                    > either pinned to a
                    > board or a dropbox.
                    >
                    > frank

                  • Frank Martin
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:

                      > Frank,
                      >
                      > I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                      > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                      > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                      > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                      > had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                      > them outside any longer.
                      >
                      > Thomas

                      That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up
                      afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for George
                      Creek. That was in May/June.

                      thanks,

                      frank
                    • thomas taylor
                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                        I think they said that this was a new rule for the
                        national parks or whitney only. They will put the
                        permit in the overnight box for trips that do not
                        enter a NP. I called in to reserve for another hike
                        and they put it on the overnight box at Mono Lake
                        Visitors Center.

                        Thomas
                        --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

                        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor
                        > <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Frank,
                        > >
                        > > I think you are right about not being able to
                        > obtain a
                        > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds
                        > and
                        > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved
                        > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said
                        > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't
                        > leave
                        > > them outside any longer.
                        > >
                        > > Thomas
                        >
                        > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I
                        > picked them up
                        > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in
                        > Lone Pine for George
                        > Creek. That was in May/June.
                        >
                        > thanks,
                        >
                        > frank

                        Best regards,

                        Thomas

                        Thomas Taylor
                        tgtaylor7@...
                        http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
                      • clairehiker
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 25, 2008
                          You have to reserve and pick up your permit from whatever agency the
                          trailhead starts in, and it is good for the whole trip, even if you
                          cross other national parks or forests. For Reds Meadow, it is Inyo
                          National Forest
                          http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/howto.shtml

                          Claire

                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Martin" <sriprank@...>
                          wrote:

                          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@>
                          wrote:

                          > > Frank,
                          > >
                          > > I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                          > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                          > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                          > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                          > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                          > > them outside any longer.
                          > >
                          > > Thomas
                          >
                          > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up
                          > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for
                          George
                          > Creek. That was in May/June.
                          >
                          > thanks,
                          >
                          > frank

                        • Kevin Aston
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 25, 2008
                            When you call for a permit, just tell them that you are going in at
                            Reds. We did it last year and had no problem. You can pick it up at
                            the same place you would pick up any of the backcountry permits.
                            GoodLuck
                            Kevin Aston

                            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "clairehiker" <clairehiker@...>